5.4 Blood DK Forgot About?

I check here every day as my Blood DK used to be my main for the previous tier, and nobody seems to have anything to say about them. How is Riposte going to be? I like the DRW 0RP cost change. Is the 5.4 BloodDK going to be any different than the 5.3? Better? Worse? I wanna know so I can get back into mine if they're going to be fairly solid. New Plague Leech looks good I guess. And finally gonna be able to bring a fairly ok?(i guess) Raid CD with AMZ 40% Magic Reduc. for 3s.

Thoughts.

Thanks ;]

We're definitely better than we were in 5.3, but its still hard to tell based on just the PTR tests whether or not we are completely "fixed". We can safely say that relative to 5.3, we are in a better spot so at worse we are close to the same and at best we are right in line. My own PTR tests (25m context) dont really reveal a whole lot since my co-tank monk didn't go with a mastery build like he will on live and instead just stuck to his crit build copied over from live, which makes it hard to directly compare. Not having looked at anyone else's data, my hunch is that DKs are more in line damage wise, but monks will still edge out slightly, but again that is 100% based on bad (and VERY limited) data and has a lot of speculation involved.

besides the raid cd, most of the updates are balancing due to the vengeance update or qol issues!

None of the big issues have been addressed, being the main one, the fact that we are worse than the others taking big hits and were suck in some kind of fights.

Edit: not saying we are bad! I love my dk tank!
    just saying that we're average and we have more difficulties tanking some fights that other tanks. My mind goes to fights with a lot of adds and very fast hard hitting bosses. recent fights: Ra-den, hc dark animus, hc tortos! on top of that, some of the recent used mechanics based on stunning/silencing the tank also hurts us a bit more than other tanks. i wont even go to the fact that AMS is ignored by almost all the current dots while some other tanks can remove their own dots.

Edit2: unfortunately I didn't manage to test SoO on PTR with my guild, so I'm not sure what influence it will have on us. As usual normal should be fine for all tanks.

just my pov anw!
    Last edited by elderamy; 2013-09-10 at 02:00 PM.

Sounds good, kinda lame I guess I won't be getting back into it for at least a few days after today so I can see how well they're competing with other tanks. Looking forward to hopefully seeing DK damage ramp up damage a bit, but their problem getting slapped by certain abilities is still shying me away from mine, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by elderamy View Post
    just saying that we're average and we have more difficulties tanking some fights that other tanks. My mind goes to fights with a lot of adds and very fast hard hitting bosses. recent fights: Ra-den, hc dark animus, hc tortos! on top of that, some of the recent used mechanics based on stunning/silencing the tank also hurts us a bit more than other tanks. i wont even go to the fact that AMS is ignored by almost all the current dots while some other tanks can remove their own dots.

just my pov anw!
    Ra-den was not a good fight to check balance on, and it wasn't just dmg output that kept DK tanks from tanking him it was the broken fatal strike mechanic. HC Dark animus and Tortos were also actually really good fights for us this tier. Lastly, AMS works on a lot of dots, namely any magic ones. The dmg reduction of AMS is still really good, even if it doesnt drop applications. The only tanks that could remove their own dots this tier was Pallies with BoP and DKs on DA, but that is fixed next tier and most DoTs can not be bopped (thank goodness).

I didn't get up to Ra-Den at all this patch (mained on a monk) but I got HCTort and HCAnimus, all I did was kite adds for Tort and Sit on Animus for those 2, but I feel like they'd probably be a bit of a pain in the ass on a DK. Tanking 3 adds on Heroic Animus on a DK definitely sounds interesting.

tortos bats were not great for blood DK, but the boss was pefect for us with our blood shield working with the crystal shield and the bite being prdeictable (and thus, mitigatable with death strike). The other tanks are all better equipped for us specifically with bats, but generally all blood DKs were on boss anyway. And for DA, blood was good because we could drop our stacks of slam, plus the high HP made slam less damaging in general compared to other tanks. DA himself hit hard, but even in 25H as long as you didnt get a ring stack you were fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Reniat View Post
    Ra-den was not a good fight to check balance on, and it wasn't just dmg output that kept DK tanks from tanking him it was the broken fatal strike mechanic. HC Dark animus and Tortos were also actually really good fights for us this tier. Lastly, AMS works on a lot of dots, namely any magic ones. The dmg reduction of AMS is still really good, even if it doesnt drop applications. The only tanks that could remove their own dots this tier was Pallies with BoP and DKs on DA, but that is fixed next tier and most DoTs can not be bopped (thank goodness).
    again i don't say were bad. I just felt average on this tier and a bit of a risk here and there. I still think of blood ans the fun tank to play!

honestly I think that any fast hitting mob will give us similar problem to those of raden... is kinda the flaw in our active mitigation that makes passive mitigation more valuable. It is also something we have for a long time, even if the bone shield updates have helped us significantly...

well, for HC Dark animus and Tortos progress i remember going on my pally and making it obviously easier for us. Even if I killed it with the dk on the next run, I just feel we avoided a lot of wipes by doing the progress with the pally! I still feel we need to give up a bit on mitigation to properly tank a large amount of adds.

Lastly i'm glad to hear about the dots! kinda sucked the way it worked last patch! ofc mostly because we do 10 man and we don't always have a pally on the group!

Quote Originally Posted by Reniat View Post
    tortos bats were not great for blood DK, but the boss was pefect for us with our blood shield working with the crystal shield and the bite being prdeictable (and thus, mitigatable with death strike). The other tanks are all better equipped for us specifically with bats, but generally all blood DKs were on boss anyway. And for DA, blood was good because we could drop our stacks of slam, plus the high HP made slam less damaging in general compared to other tanks. DA himself hit hard, but even in 25H as long as you didnt get a ring stack you were fine.
    I agree 100% with you and that was exactly my point, how we feel were giving up on something when tanking adds!
    like kiting adds... if you're kiting youre giving up on mitigation... we can do it... but were kinda bad on it...
    and i don't even mention the how much easier was to 1 tank some of the fights with other tank(s)

I also have to admit that DA was one of our hardest fights and we took long to overcome it. We did end up doing the zerg tactic and i'm still using my pally for it :S prob can do it the dk but haven't bothered that much... drops crap dk loot anw :P

anw, I don't really want to derail this thread with parallel discussion!

I like the changes that were done, but the balance between tanks will depend moslty the updates done to other tanks and the mechanics of the fights than of the changes done to blood.
    Last edited by elderamy; 2013-09-10 at 02:36 PM.