Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Shadow priest - Proving grounds mini guide

Here is my tips from a shadow priest getting gold achievement take and use what you want
    Notes I had glyph of physic scream to keep the monkey in place
    I also used divine star
    Also waves with a banana thrower I made sure to save my devouring plague 3 orbs from the last wave.

Wave 1: Two small slayers + One amber shaper

I stood at the end of the line (east side of the room) I dps'ed down the far slayer as the shaper formed the orb it comes right towards you and splashes into the shaper in front of you quickly burst down the close slayer. In the mean time I'm dotting up the shaper by the time a 2nd orb comes out I moved towards the center so it traped the shaper and fished it off .

Wave 2: one banana thrower + Large amber shaper

Before the wave started I made sure to stand in the direct center as soon as the monkey spawned, I feared both the shaper and monkey used my 3 orb devouring plague and nuked down the banana thrower. With the amber shaper I would step behind him as he formed the orb and used it to pull it right back into him.

Wave 3: 1 banana thrower + 1 Small amber shaper + 1 small oracle

Again I made sure to stand in the center as soon as they spawned I would fear all 3, I quickly dps'ed down the monkey again before the oracle broke out from the fear. Now I moved in position so the orb would drift towards the oracle again it hits perfectly so it gets frozen before he can heal himself I just damage both the shaper and oracle at the same time.

Wave 4: 1 banana thrower + 1 large oracle
    Note: 1st berserker's rage buff spawns

Same plan I stood in the middle feared both the thrower and oracle , dpsed the monkey down before the fear breaks. Then just dpsed the oracle making sure to silence the heal he didn't live long enough to get a 2nd cast off. I did not use the berserkers buff. It does remain through waves

Wave 5: 3 Small guardians + 3 small banshees

This wave is simple just dps down the guardians until 10 seconds in the 1st banshee spawns quickly switch to it then return to the guardians , During this wave the banshees 2 and 3 will spawn 15 seconds after the last has been killed. Just kill them as they appear , all of the guardians should be killed before banshee 3 appears since the timer when it explodes bumps up to the timer for the wave.

Wave 6: 4 large Virmin + 3 small virmin + 2 small oracles

Here I stood between the virmin pack that spawned in the middle and one of the oracles , I tossed my divine star through the pack hitting the far oracle. This would cause the healers to start to heal one of the virmin I ignored this heal and just dpsed the far oracle down. After killing that one I spun around and killed the other oracle then just used aoe skills to kill the virmin.

Wave 7: 1 banana thrower + 1 small amber shaper + 1 small oracle + 1 small guardian + 2 small banshees + 1 large banshee
    Note: 2nd berserkers rage buff spawns

This is 2nd hardest wave to defeat,The oracle starts on one side, the guardian spawns in the middle and the shaper spawns on the far side Again with banana throwers I stood in the middle and feared all of the mobs. I quickly burst down the banana thrower , after killing it I moved towards the oracle about 10 seconds after the fight starts the first small banshee spawns. I would quickly dps it down as well , in the mean time the amber shaper on the has been forming orbs and it would splash into the guardian. When this happened I would off dot the guardian only after the banshee is dead.Swap instantly to the oracle between the 1st and 2nd banshee's you should have the oracle dead before the 2nd banshee spawns. 15 seconds after the first banshee dies the large banshee spawns this uses the same mechanic as a small banshee but more hp and longer time before it explodes. If you are lucky/skilled the orb from the amber shaper should be floating around if you want you can swing it up to hit the large banshee but isn't necessary . Just dps down the last 3 mobs making sure to kill the 3rd banshee as it spawns 15 seconds after the large one is dead .
    Again I did not use the bersekers rage buff.

Wave 8: 2 small amber shaper's + 1 small sha

This is the simple wave just dps the two shapers down. you can use the orbs on themselves but is not required. Also the orbs do not effect the sha while shielded in one attempt I kept a shaper alive and ran an orb into the sha when the shield was down but wasn't necessary. I dpsed it lightly(no cds) before the shield popped at that point I used my trinkets and dps'ed it down before the shield could reform. Remember the sha takes 50% less damage when the shield is up and 300% more damage when its down.

Wave 9: 1 banana thrower + 1 large oracle + 1 small banshee + 1 small sha

As I did with all the banana throwers waves I would fear them all and burst down the banana thrower, I moved to the oracle and was able to damage it a bit before the banshee spawns. I would swap to it but made sure to silence the oracle to keep it from healing the banshee . I returned back to the oracle and finished it off before the shield popped on the sha. Then popped another small cooldown before the shield returned on the sha.

Wave 10: 1 large slayer + 2 small banshees + 1 large sha

Right before the wave spawned I walked over to the 1st berserker buff that I saved. I dpsed down the slayer down, I found it out of place for this wave but i expect is there for classes that get bonuses to abilities after killing a enemy. As the slayer dies I moved closer to the 2nd berseker buff and damaged the sha as most I could without using any cooldowns. The first banshee spawns about 4 seconds before the sha shield breaks at this point I stepped on the 2nd berseker buff and bust down the banshee. As the shield pops I used everything , 3 orb devouring plague, power infusion, trinket , herblism haste buff , shadowfiend and just nuked the sha. Right as its shield timer is about to come up the 2nd banshee spawns finish off the sha then with your buffs still up you should be able to kill the banshee.
    Last edited by makominami; 2013-09-11 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by makominami View Post
    Notes I had glyph of physic scream to keep the monkey in place
    Void Tendrils work wonders for the banana tossers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dierdre View Post
    Void Tendrils work wonders for the banana tossers.
    Yep, can use them as meat shields to absorb the amber balls and let dots finish them.

Haha, I never thought to use Void Tendrils or Physic Scream in there. I just figured out a way to handle with everything in the amount of time I needed to. That's probably why I only made it to wave 3 on Endless on my first attempt. :P

Deleted
    Would be interesting how far ppl got. I completed 65 waves so far

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisel View Post
    Would be interesting how far ppl got. I completed 65 waves so far
    Care to share any tips?
    Priest Warrior
    You are not your role. You are not how much gold you have on your account.
    You are not the mount you ride. You are not the contents of your bank.
    You are not your epic purples. You are not a special and unique snowflake.
    You are the all-grinding, all-farming crap of Azeroth.

I'm blocked @ 29th wave. I guess i should find som CM gear to help me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ansible View Post
    Care to share any tips?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwZEXrvTVM0

Thats pretty much my tactic. Its from PTR but hasn't changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisel View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwZEXrvTVM0

Thats pretty much my tactic. Its from PTR but hasn't changed.
    Cool thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Got up to wave 9 a couple of times. Decided it's not worth the 30 minutes of constant dpsing.
    Last edited by BobAwesome; 2013-09-15 at 04:19 AM.
    Priest Warrior

Do you use special reforge ? Right now i use 8085 haste then mastery with uvls. Maybe uvls is a bad choice. (my best is wave 37 right now)
    Last edited by velinart; 2013-09-15 at 11:24 AM.

I don't have a UVLS, but even without reforging I reach the 8085 when my gears scaled down. I could spend a day doing endless learning it like the back of my hand, but if I managed to mess up on some of those later waves, that would be way too frustrating. Even with FDCL I feel like I have no real mobile dps option like Mages, Locks and Elemental shamans.
    Priest Warrior

I think our class is pretty decent for proving grounds honestly.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ansible View Post
    Even with FDCL I feel like I have no real mobile dps option like Mages, Locks and Elemental shamans.
    Most of the stages give you lots of time to cast, so you can let your fdcl procs build up for when you actually need to move

15+ Year Old Account
    I one-shot everything in DPS proving grounds as shadow until the final wave of gold and was shocked that i didn't get it - died again on it - then realized I could save the berserking buffs until after the waves in which they spawned, and beat the final gold wave with 30 seconds to spare

So, if you are struggling - save some berserking!
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

I hope they add something so you can skip a set if you beat it all the time. Like someone that regularly gets 20+ can skip 1-10.

I just tried this for the first time last night; blew through everything until about 7/10 on gold. Gave up on the final phase after several tries and it was getting late/me tired.
    But my question here is: anyone else seeing misses in the proving grounds? I'm hit capped, which I believe you are supposed to retain, but I had a few spells miss here and there.

Glyph of Levitate also adds bonus speed for kiting the ambers. I did not think of glyphing Psychic Fear but that is a fantastic idea and I will use it next time to save one global cooldown instead of dropping tendrils plus regular fear. I managed getting gold with regular shadow gear with only few gems and 6,4k haste, but on last big mob I was pretty lucky that UVLS procced and buffed my dots which on previous tries were just plain too weak and I was constantly missing few seconds to beat the timer.
    Waves 1-7 imho are only about skill, 8 and 9 are easier compared to 1-7, but last one with big sha just needs proper 'power' on the dots. Only wave 5 is sometimes hectic depending how random the guardians are with direction at which they're facing their shields.
    I believe I will need to get some CM gear before trying endless.
    Oh, and I did not see any misses during all tries with hit at 15,99%.
    Last edited by solshine2510; 2013-10-02 at 02:11 PM.

Deleted
    Is there any list of bis for this?

Quote Originally Posted by Greyce View Post
    I just tried this for the first time last night; blew through everything until about 7/10 on gold. Gave up on the final phase after several tries and it was getting late/me tired.
    But my question here is: anyone else seeing misses in the proving grounds? I'm hit capped, which I believe you are supposed to retain, but I had a few spells miss here and there.
    It's bugged. When you reforge to hit those stats also get scaled down and your hit rating will drop anyway. It's pretty frustrating when things get really tight and you have a miss in the last couple of second of a round and fail.

This also happens in CM's but it is not as frustrating in there.

Made a thread about this about two weeks ago on the official forums but people rather care about nerfing LFR and all the other crap that gets posted there.
    I'm not sure but I think there was a blue poster responding to this issue almost a year ago but it still hasn't been fixed. Apparently this is not a priority since CM's aren't as popular as LFR or pet battles .
    Last edited by Gilian; 2013-10-03 at 01:32 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Greyce View Post
    IRC bananas debuff you to miss, dont get hit by them, kill ape throwing them fast