1. #14621
    The Unstoppable Force Arrashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Posts
    21,567
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Because it's not a one-size-fits-all approach.

    Exclusives are aimed at driving new user acquisition, primarily.

    Sales are aimed more are retaining those users, with the secondary goal of acquisition.

    They only "made themselves the bad guy" to folks who don't like how normal businesses operate when launching new platforms.
    And pretty much every youtube content maker and commenter.

  2. #14622
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    And pretty much every youtube content maker and commenter.
    I'd never argue that most of the outrage/clickbait YT content creators are highly informed and educated on these topics. I'd argue that they're highly informed and educated purely on ways to take any news and spin it to drive clicks from low information viewers.

  3. #14623
    The Unstoppable Force Arrashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Posts
    21,567
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I'd never argue that most of the outrage/clickbait YT content creators are highly informed and educated on these topics. I'd argue that they're highly informed and educated purely on ways to take any news and spin it to drive clicks from low information viewers.
    Shame this is pretty much only thing you find on net about epic store.

    Well that and some robed guys chanting "Compe-tishun" to altar of Tim Swiney.

    Is this sale great ? Fuck yeah. Sadly in current situation its no wonder people see it as desperation move for some good PR.

  4. #14624
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Shame this is pretty much only thing you find on net about epic store.
    Just because a lot of people talk about a thing doesn't mean it's true or an informed opinion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Well that and some robed guys chanting "Compe-tishun" to altar of Tim Swiney.
    Where is this, sounds hilarious.

    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Is this sale great ? Fuck yeah. Sadly in current situation its no wonder people see it as desperation move for some good PR.
    Then these people are wrong and have a terrible, uninformed opinion. Just because they have a lot of idiots subscribing to them on YT doesn't mean they're right or saying anything of value.

  5. #14625
    The Unstoppable Force Arrashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Posts
    21,567
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Just because a lot of people talk about a thing doesn't mean it's true or an informed opinion.



    Where is this, sounds hilarious.



    Then these people are wrong and have a terrible, uninformed opinion. Just because they have a lot of idiots subscribing to them on YT doesn't mean they're right or saying anything of value.
    I assume you have great and informed opinions ? Because you definately sound like you think you have.

  6. #14626
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    I assume you have great and informed opinions ? Because you definately sound like you think you have.
    Not great, but marginally more informed, yes. If someone thinks this is a move out of "desperation" then that's them letting their Epic hate blind them to pretty basic business realities.

    Epic was always going to have deep sales as all their competitors in the PC market space have. If they didn't, they couldn't compete.

    This makes sense with their rollout of the store, and I'm actually surprised they did this before they even got the shopping card functionality added. I was expecting this to come later, actually.

    If someone didn't think this was coming, it's because they weren't looking at the overall landscape for digital distribution channels.

  7. #14627
    The Unstoppable Force Arrashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Posts
    21,567
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Not great, but marginally more informed, yes. If someone thinks this is a move out of "desperation" then that's them letting their Epic hate blind them to pretty basic business realities.

    Epic was always going to have deep sales as all their competitors in the PC market space have. If they didn't, they couldn't compete.

    This makes sense with their rollout of the store, and I'm actually surprised they did this before they even got the shopping card functionality added. I was expecting this to come later, actually.

    If someone didn't think this was coming, it's because they weren't looking at the overall landscape for digital distribution channels.
    I dunno, a situation where you earn like 50 cents on games and then lose 10 $ sounds pretty desperate.

  8. #14628
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    I dunno, a situation where you earn like 50 cents on games and then lose 10 $ sounds pretty desperate.
    I already said, it's part of their plan to retain and acquire new players. They're making their first sale as attractive as possible to users and running it during a time where there aren't major sales from competitors.

    This is a growth strategy. When your company/product is focused on growing, you're generally doing so by burning through cash and taking losses (see: Netflix, UBER, Tesla and other tech companies that have long operated with losses while they focused on growth over profitability). The revenue/profit comes later. For now it's getting folks into their system and comfortable with using it/spending money.

  9. #14629
    The Unstoppable Force Arrashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Posts
    21,567
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I already said, it's part of their plan to retain and acquire new players. They're making their first sale as attractive as possible to users and running it during a time where there aren't major sales from competitors.

    This is a growth strategy. When your company/product is focused on growing, you're generally doing so by burning through cash and taking losses (see: Netflix, UBER, Tesla and other tech companies that have long operated with losses while they focused on growth over profitability). The revenue/profit comes later. For now it's getting folks into their system and comfortable with using it/spending money.
    IF it comes later. Because one thing is for sure as soon as they stop handing free money (aka operating on net loss) people will loose their enthusiasm.

    And one way or another, selling pretty much every product on your store on massive loss (and mind you they will need to sell multiple games during no-sale period to make for one game sold during sale, especially those next to 15$) is pretty desperate.

    They are kinda like those rich kids in school where their parents pay you 100$ for coming to their birthday.

  10. #14630
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    I dunno, a situation where you earn like 50 cents on games and then lose 10 $ sounds pretty desperate.
    Do you not understand loss leaders?

    I mean netflix as a whole is literally a fucking loss leader yet to turn a profit and they seem to be doing okayish.

  11. #14631
    The Unstoppable Force Arrashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Posts
    21,567
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Do you not understand loss leaders?

    I mean netflix as a whole is literally a fucking loss leader yet to turn a profit and they seem to be doing okayish.
    I dunno, is operating on loss the only thing that sets them apart from competition ? Because if you think about it we just got another diffrence betwen steam and epic - steam earns money on sales and epic loses it.

  12. #14632
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    I dunno, is operating on loss the only thing that sets them apart from competition ? Because if you think about it we just got another diffrence betwen steam and epic - steam earns money on sales and epic loses it.
    Not even sure what this reply is.

    I just asked you if you understand what loss leaders are. Clearly you do not so you should google it to understand it's a viable business strategy employed in almost all industries.

  13. #14633
    The Unstoppable Force Arrashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Posts
    21,567
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Not even sure what this reply is.

    I just asked you if you understand what loss leaders are. Clearly you do not so you should google it to understand it's a viable business strategy employed in almost all industries.
    Oh no i do understand even if (unlike you) i don't have 200 IQ.

  14. #14634
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    IF it comes later. Because one thing is for sure as soon as they stop handing free money (aka operating on net loss) people will loose their enthusiasm.
    But that's the whole point - by the time they stop that the goal is to have players firmly rooted to their system so that they'll continue to stick around. It's the same as Netflix or Amazon or other companies taking losses on their subscription services while building up a userbase and then increasing pricing over time to make up for losses.

    Epic is taking the opposite approach, of taking losses on behalf of the publishers/developers for now and they'll ramp that down as they feel it's less and less necessary.

    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    And one way or another, selling pretty much every product on your store on massive loss (and mind you they will need to sell multiple games during no-sale period to make for one game sold during sale, especially those next to 15$) is pretty desperate.
    Again, it's not. Look at Disney's pricing for their subscription service. It's obscenely low, and likely to operate at considerable losses for a while even if they're not spending on licensed shows/movies and just using their own content. Again, it's a user acquisition strategy aimed at prioritizing growth over profitability. Profitability comes down the road.

  15. #14635
    The Unstoppable Force Arrashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Posts
    21,567
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    But that's the whole point - by the time they stop that the goal is to have players firmly rooted to their system so that they'll continue to stick around. It's the same as Netflix or Amazon or other companies taking losses on their subscription services while building up a userbase and then increasing pricing over time to make up for losses.

    Epic is taking the opposite approach, of taking losses on behalf of the publishers/developers for now and they'll ramp that down as they feel it's less and less necessary.
    Or people will just take freebies and run away. Because so far epic seems unaware that perhaps they should have....i dunno...better store ? And not piss people off so often. Because so far their plan to topple steam seems to be 5 dimensional checkers.
    Again, it's not. Look at Disney's pricing for their subscription service. It's obscenely low, and likely to operate at considerable losses for a while even if they're not spending on licensed shows/movies and just using their own content. Again, it's a user acquisition strategy aimed at prioritizing growth over profitability. Profitability comes down the road.
    And again, this being valid strategy doesn't mean its not desperate. Even if you plan on operating on loss, you want to minimalise this loss. And epic clearly is going all out in yet another attempt to challenge steam.

  16. #14636
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Or people will just take freebies and run away. Because so far epic seems unaware that perhaps they should have....i dunno...better store ? And not piss people off so often. Because so far their plan to topple steam seems to be 5 dimensional checkers.
    If freebies weren't working, they wouldn't continue to give them out. And it's only a vocal minority that's "pissed off", mostly outrage-bait, low information YouTubers. Overall the store is doing great and games keep seeing strong sales numbers again and again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    And again, this being valid strategy doesn't mean its not desperate.
    Read that back to yourself and see if what you wrote makes any sense. Because it doesn't. You can't call a commonplace business practice "desperate". Well...I mean you can, you'll just be wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Even if you plan on operating on loss, you want to minimalise this loss.
    To a point, yes, but you plan around those losses. How do you know they're not minimizing them or seeing operating losses for the store that are in-line with their expectations?

  17. #14637
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    They only "made themselves the bad guy" to folks who don't like how normal businesses operate when launching new platforms.
    Well speaking for myself, the "bad guy" is the person/organization keeping me from playing games on a single platform. You can argue that it's smart business practices and you could have a point there (although Epic has generated a LOT of ill will towards themselves with this method), but as a consumer I just want to play games without having to run 12 different launchers. So while I'm not demonizing Epic, they can go fuck themselves and I'm not planning to give them any of my money. You want to win the marketplace, do it by offering the best product and having a launcher/store that isn't a total dumpster fire, not trying to twist consumers' arms by buying exclusives that you aren't capable of producing yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by downnola View Post
    me: wow, why am I tired and feel like shit?
    body: coffee is not a meal, drink some water
    body: eat a vegetable.
    body: sleep
    me: I guess we'll never know
    body: oh my god.

  18. #14638
    The Lightbringer imabanana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,503
    Even if Epic store gets good on client/games side, I wouldn't use it for now. They're literally the only major store out there requiring you to disclose that much personal info just to create an account. Considering their history with leaks, I have zero trust in them and won't even create an account until they remove requirements like first/last name on signup.
    Oh, hi.

  19. #14639

  20. #14640
    Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post
    Yep, and Guacamelee 2 is discounted at 60%.... I pulled the trigger early and bought it, it's already a nice discount for such a recent title.
    Here was a level 85 Enhancement Shaman. Now there is just an epitaph.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •