Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    I dunno, a situation where you earn like 50 cents on games and then lose 10 $ sounds pretty desperate.
    I already said, it's part of their plan to retain and acquire new players. They're making their first sale as attractive as possible to users and running it during a time where there aren't major sales from competitors.

This is a growth strategy. When your company/product is focused on growing, you're generally doing so by burning through cash and taking losses (see: Netflix, UBER, Tesla and other tech companies that have long operated with losses while they focused on growth over profitability). The revenue/profit comes later. For now it's getting folks into their system and comfortable with using it/spending money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I already said, it's part of their plan to retain and acquire new players. They're making their first sale as attractive as possible to users and running it during a time where there aren't major sales from competitors.

This is a growth strategy. When your company/product is focused on growing, you're generally doing so by burning through cash and taking losses (see: Netflix, UBER, Tesla and other tech companies that have long operated with losses while they focused on growth over profitability). The revenue/profit comes later. For now it's getting folks into their system and comfortable with using it/spending money.
    IF it comes later. Because one thing is for sure as soon as they stop handing free money (aka operating on net loss) people will loose their enthusiasm.

And one way or another, selling pretty much every product on your store on massive loss (and mind you they will need to sell multiple games during no-sale period to make for one game sold during sale, especially those next to 15$) is pretty desperate.

They are kinda like those rich kids in school where their parents pay you 100$ for coming to their birthday.

I dunno, a situation where you earn like 50 cents on games and then lose 10 $ sounds pretty desperate.
    Do you not understand loss leaders?

I mean netflix as a whole is literally a fucking loss leader yet to turn a profit and they seem to be doing okayish.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Do you not understand loss leaders?

I mean netflix as a whole is literally a fucking loss leader yet to turn a profit and they seem to be doing okayish.
    I dunno, is operating on loss the only thing that sets them apart from competition ? Because if you think about it we just got another diffrence betwen steam and epic - steam earns money on sales and epic loses it.

I dunno, is operating on loss the only thing that sets them apart from competition ? Because if you think about it we just got another diffrence betwen steam and epic - steam earns money on sales and epic loses it.
    Not even sure what this reply is.

I just asked you if you understand what loss leaders are. Clearly you do not so you should google it to understand it's a viable business strategy employed in almost all industries.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Not even sure what this reply is.

I just asked you if you understand what loss leaders are. Clearly you do not so you should google it to understand it's a viable business strategy employed in almost all industries.
    Oh no i do understand even if (unlike you) i don't have 200 IQ.

IF it comes later. Because one thing is for sure as soon as they stop handing free money (aka operating on net loss) people will loose their enthusiasm.
    But that's the whole point - by the time they stop that the goal is to have players firmly rooted to their system so that they'll continue to stick around. It's the same as Netflix or Amazon or other companies taking losses on their subscription services while building up a userbase and then increasing pricing over time to make up for losses.

Epic is taking the opposite approach, of taking losses on behalf of the publishers/developers for now and they'll ramp that down as they feel it's less and less necessary.

And one way or another, selling pretty much every product on your store on massive loss (and mind you they will need to sell multiple games during no-sale period to make for one game sold during sale, especially those next to 15$) is pretty desperate.
    Again, it's not. Look at Disney's pricing for their subscription service. It's obscenely low, and likely to operate at considerable losses for a while even if they're not spending on licensed shows/movies and just using their own content. Again, it's a user acquisition strategy aimed at prioritizing growth over profitability. Profitability comes down the road.

10+ Year Old Account
    But that's the whole point - by the time they stop that the goal is to have players firmly rooted to their system so that they'll continue to stick around. It's the same as Netflix or Amazon or other companies taking losses on their subscription services while building up a userbase and then increasing pricing over time to make up for losses.

Epic is taking the opposite approach, of taking losses on behalf of the publishers/developers for now and they'll ramp that down as they feel it's less and less necessary.
    Or people will just take freebies and run away. Because so far epic seems unaware that perhaps they should have....i dunno...better store ? And not piss people off so often. Because so far their plan to topple steam seems to be 5 dimensional checkers.
    Again, it's not. Look at Disney's pricing for their subscription service. It's obscenely low, and likely to operate at considerable losses for a while even if they're not spending on licensed shows/movies and just using their own content. Again, it's a user acquisition strategy aimed at prioritizing growth over profitability. Profitability comes down the road.
    And again, this being valid strategy doesn't mean its not desperate. Even if you plan on operating on loss, you want to minimalise this loss. And epic clearly is going all out in yet another attempt to challenge steam.

Or people will just take freebies and run away. Because so far epic seems unaware that perhaps they should have....i dunno...better store ? And not piss people off so often. Because so far their plan to topple steam seems to be 5 dimensional checkers.
    If freebies weren't working, they wouldn't continue to give them out. And it's only a vocal minority that's "pissed off", mostly outrage-bait, low information YouTubers. Overall the store is doing great and games keep seeing strong sales numbers again and again.

And again, this being valid strategy doesn't mean its not desperate.
    Read that back to yourself and see if what you wrote makes any sense. Because it doesn't. You can't call a commonplace business practice "desperate". Well...I mean you can, you'll just be wrong.

Even if you plan on operating on loss, you want to minimalise this loss.
    To a point, yes, but you plan around those losses. How do you know they're not minimizing them or seeing operating losses for the store that are in-line with their expectations?

They only "made themselves the bad guy" to folks who don't like how normal businesses operate when launching new platforms.
    Well speaking for myself, the "bad guy" is the person/organization keeping me from playing games on a single platform. You can argue that it's smart business practices and you could have a point there (although Epic has generated a LOT of ill will towards themselves with this method), but as a consumer I just want to play games without having to run 12 different launchers. So while I'm not demonizing Epic, they can go fuck themselves and I'm not planning to give them any of my money. You want to win the marketplace, do it by offering the best product and having a launcher/store that isn't a total dumpster fire, not trying to twist consumers' arms by buying exclusives that you aren't capable of producing yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by downnola View Post
    me: wow, why am I tired and feel like shit?
    body: coffee is not a meal, drink some water
    body: eat a vegetable.
    body: sleep
    me: I guess we'll never know
    body: oh my god.

15+ Year Old Account
    Even if Epic store gets good on client/games side, I wouldn't use it for now. They're literally the only major store out there requiring you to disclose that much personal info just to create an account. Considering their history with leaks, I have zero trust in them and won't even create an account until they remove requirements like first/last name on signup.
    Oh, hi.

Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post
    Yep, and Guacamelee 2 is discounted at 60%.... I pulled the trigger early and bought it, it's already a nice discount for such a recent title.
    Here was a level 85 Enhancement Shaman. Now there is just an epitaph.

Quote Originally Posted by Seifa View Post
    Yep, and Guacamelee 2 is discounted at 60%.... I pulled the trigger early and bought it, it's already a nice discount for such a recent title.
    Nice, gonna pick that up myself. Thanks for letting me know about that one.

Signature Created by Jassinta

Not a bundle, but Sundered is at 75% off.
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/5...ritch_Edition/
    I can highly recommend getting it if you're into metroidvanias.

3+ Year Old Account
    Where your bleeding heart liberalism meets reality
    Damn, that's actually pretty freakin rad of them. That's a strong motivation to pick up some games from the store!
    I know you aren't, but damn does your post look fake and like shilling for the EPIC games store.

10+ Year Old Account
    So EA has apparently gone insane as they're giving away the standard version of Sims 4 for free until May 28th.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

Quote Originally Posted by Darknessvamp View Post
    So EA has apparently gone insane as they're giving away the standard version of Sims 4 for free until May 28th.
    Since it has a million different DLCs, that's how they get your money.

Quote Originally Posted by Donatello Trumpi View Post
    I know you aren't, but damn does your post look fake and like shilling for the EPIC games store.
    Sure, I guess anyone who says anything nice is a "shill" or something.

I've had some real life stuff come up so please bear with me. I have given out some codes but not all, the bigger titles are gone so if you did not get them by now they are off the table. I'll try to sort through the rest by the end of this holiday weekend.

Have patience.