... LastLast

Timeless Isle is a GW2 PvE Zone

Hmm lets see...

- Few if any quests
    - No quest hubs
    - Dynamic events
    - World bosses
    - Loot chests

Yup, its a Guild Wars 2 leveling and exploration zone. Problem is, the GW2 game engine can handle it but the WoW game engine cant. Massive button, input and 3D lag. I lead guilds in both games so I should know. I like both games. It has been said that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

The Timeless Isle is clearly an attempt to clone GW2s very popular leveling and exploration zones. Unfortunately the wow game engine just isnt up to the challenge.
    Last edited by blackweb; 2013-09-11 at 03:08 AM.

and they left mob tagging and resource competition in, two things that make the open world effect much more convincing in GW2.

Still, it's a pretty obvious imitation, and I hope they improve upon the concept rather than drop it should it fail in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Give it time. They will get there in future patches. Very solid first attempt though. I'm having fun again.

It is. And I personally enjoy it. The way you level in GW2 was one of the things I liked about the game but I don't think I would want to see that system in WoW as the only way of leveling. But alas, you are correct that the game can't handle it. The Isle has been fun but it's frustrating fighting tons of mobs with telegraphed attacks that you visually dodge but still get hit by them.

You do realize that the lag is not related to the engine in any way, correct? It's 100% server overload from massive amounts of people in one small area all doing something. WoW had world bosses before world bosses were cool :P.

Quote Originally Posted by blackweb View Post
    Hmm lets see...

- Few if any quests
    - No quest hubs
    - Dynamic events
    - World bosses
    - Loot chests

Yup, its a Guild Wars 3 leveling and exploration zone. Problem is, the GW2 game engine can handle it but the WoW game engine cant. Massive button, input and 3D lag. I lead guilds in both games so I should know. I like both games. It has been said that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

The Timeless Isle is clearly an attempt to clone GW2s very popular leveling and exploration zones. Unfortunately the wow game engine just isnt up to the challenge.
    MMOs have been headed this way for some time. Tabula Rasa, Warhammer had then.... Rift did them well, and GW2 is head of the class.

For a late expansion zone, its good to see Blizzard implementing some of the newer concepts and offering more variety to the players. I agree the engine is showing its age a bit, but crowds will lessen in a few weeks once the patch rush ends.

Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    and they left mob tagging and resource competition in, two things that make the open world effect much more convincing in GW2.

Still, it's a pretty obvious imitation, and I hope they improve upon the concept rather than drop it should it fail in WoW.
    I think the implementation in wow is a good one. But like I said, the game engine just isnt up to it, especially when you throw world pvp in the mix.

Well considering the fact that during peak hours with raids killing Celestials as well as a dense pile just outside the court and roaming packs of mob farmers i have had Zero issues with lag or fps drops i would have to say the problem your having is with your hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post
    You do realize that the lag is not related to the engine in any way, correct? It's 100% server overload from massive amounts of people in one small area all doing something. WoW had world bosses before world bosses were cool :P.
    The lag is a combination of net or server lag, 3d lag and input lag.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Frieght View Post
    Well considering the fact that during peak hours with raids killing Celestials as well as a dense pile just outside the court and roaming packs of mob farmers i have had Zero issues with lag or fps drops i would have to say the problem your having is with your hardware.
    MASSIVE lag on Emerald dream.

The active events is happening more and more in MMO's these days.

I was thinking more of SWTOR's little jumping puzzles to get the datacrons, but they're both the same.

What exactly is the point of this thread? Discussing the Timeless Isle? Talking about WoW's game engine? Conversing about how WoW is testing out GW2-esque features?

I think WoW will be able to handle it fine. The WoW engine is "worse" than the GW2 one...and Blizzard knows it, and they work around it to make the game still work - beautifully, even. There might be a lot of people in one area, but I don't see why WoW can't handle it. Even GW2 isn't perfect. Ever try doing SB? My system gets maybe 15 fps while doing it (at maxed settings, however).

Blizzard is trying something out that has proven to be popular, and I'm rooting for them. It won't be nearly as perfected as the GW2 model, partially due to inexperience and much less the engine, but it'll be a refreshing change.

P.S. You obviously didn't do Battlefield: Barrens. Had a crap ton of people there all the time and the game ran fine. I don't know what you're talking about, personally.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I don't play GW2 so I do not know of what you speak. This sounds like another case of someone building up a fantasy in their minds of new content and being predictably let down

Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post

Yes, mob tagging really ups the realism. I mean, when I punch a goat on the way to work, it's not like other people can just swing by and take my loot.

Quote Originally Posted by lopk View Post
    What exactly is the point of this thread? Discussing the Timeless Isle? Talking about WoW's game engine? Conversing about how WoW is testing out GW2-esque features?

I think WoW will be able to handle it fine. The WoW engine is "worse" than the GW2 one...and Blizzard knows it, and they work around it to make the game still work - beautifully, even. There might be a lot of people in one area, but I don't see why WoW can't handle it. Even GW2 isn't perfect. Ever try doing SB? My system gets maybe 15 fps while doing it (at maxed settings, however).

Blizzard is trying something out that has proven to be popular, and I'm rooting for them. It won't be nearly as perfected as the GW2 model, partially due to inexperience and much less the engine, but it'll be a refreshing change.

P.S. You obviously didn't do Battlefield: Barrens. Had a crap ton of people there all the time and the game ran fine. I don't know what you're talking about, personally.
    You answered your own question. No, WoW's game engine is not handling it just fine. In fact, the lag was so bad that it made me miss GW2 so I logged onto GW2 and there were just as many players doing all kinds of things in lions arch with zero lag. Its the game engine dude, it just cant handle the Timeless Isle under heavy load. The GW2 game engine is vastly superior to wows now 9 year old game engine. Thats no slight on blizzard. The wow game engine was great for its time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenMaster View Post
    Well, I don't play GW2 so I do not know of what you speak. This sounds like another case of someone building up a fantasy in their minds of new content and being predictably let down
    Building up a fantasy? The zone is what it is. Its obvious that the ideas for Timeless Isle came from GW2 to anyone who has played both games.

You answered your own question. No, WoW's game engine is not handling it just fine. In fact, the lag was so bad that it made me miss GW2 so I logged onto GW2 and there were just as many players doing all kinds of things in lions arch with zero lag. Its the game engine dude, it just cant handle the Timeless Isle under heavy load.
    I'll admit, I haven't tried out Timeless Isle, but I honestly have trouble believing your claims. You dodged my P.S., which sort of makes me think you didn't have a rebuttal for it, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that Timeless Isle is so much more demanding than anything else in the game by at least tenfold.

I'll admit, I haven't tried out Timeless Isle, but I honestly have trouble believing your claims. You dodged my P.S., which sort of makes me think you didn't have a rebuttal for it, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that Timeless Isle is so much more demanding than anything else in the game by at least tenfold.
    As a neutral observer, if you're gonna join a thread and argue about something you haven't tried out yet... well, you're going to come off as quite an idiot.

The wow game engine is the WC3 game engine with modifications. It has always had an upper limit beyond which it just cant go. The timeless isle exceeded that limit on Emerald Dream. That is why blizz has always preferred to instance certain content because instanced content can be controlled.

- - - Updated - - -

Depends on whether world pvp is thrown into the mix with the pve.

You answered your own question. No, WoW's game engine is not handling it just fine. In fact, the lag was so bad that it made me miss GW2 so I logged onto GW2 and there were just as many players doing all kinds of things in lions arch with zero lag. Its the game engine dude, it just cant handle the Timeless Isle under heavy load. The GW2 game engine is vastly superior to wows now 9 year old game engine. Thats no slight on blizzard. The wow game engine was great for its time.
    The day GW2 was released it was lagging with much less players, doing simpler actions. They just released something for the first time of course it will lag and of course there will be kinks. There is lag every expansion and every patch at major zones. Not because of the game engine but because it would be idiotic to design a system to handle 10000 people all the time, when the average after a week will, be 500 at best.

It's the first day. Everyone and their dog is on the Timeless Isle.

That's why there's lag. Over time things will cool down.

The lag is just from overcrowding. You see the exact same sort of thing when an expac goes live. *shrug*

As far as the isle, yes, it's very obviously GW2 influenced in many respects, but no one ever accused Blizzard of innovation Still, it's fun so far. Hoping to find a few more secret things here and there.

Being an engineer helps greatly there.