Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nukka View Post
    Anyone tried endless as Arcane yet? I did Gold as arcane last night, but I'm not sure if I hate myself enough to attempt 30 as arcane.
    I'm really struggling with Gold Wave 7 as arcane. My normal tactic on earlier waves is to frost nova and then sheep monkeys, positioning so they take the summoned amber, then pewpew healer with glyphed counterspell as the interrupt. Clearing up whatever's left is normally straightforward. There's normally time to eat to full mana and rune of power before the next wave hits. But I'm a long way short with the monkey, healer, guardian, amber summoner and banshee so far.

Any hints would be welcomed.

Use berserking and/or pop some cooldowns. In general I was frost nova/deeping the monkey and then quickly putting bombs up on other targets, then focusing the monkey using flows if you need to run next to him while you finish him off.

Keeping your LB up on 3 targets at all times is really important--make sure you put it on the targets which you aren't single targeting. You should be able to pretty much kill guardians without ever directly having to attack them.

Note that if you pop alter time in this phase it'll be up for round 10 still.

Does anyone know this mage: http://us.battle.net/wow/character/thrall/Dendee/

Wowprogress has him as #1 DPS for endless proving grounds, with a score of 10,000, but I don't see how that is possible..

Quote Originally Posted by Bazrael View Post
    I'm really struggling with Gold Wave 7 as arcane. My normal tactic on earlier waves is to frost nova and then sheep monkeys, positioning so they take the summoned amber, then pewpew healer with glyphed counterspell as the interrupt. Clearing up whatever's left is normally straightforward. There's normally time to eat to full mana and rune of power before the next wave hits. But I'm a long way short with the monkey, healer, guardian, amber summoner and banshee so far.

Any hints would be welcomed.
    I did endless as Arcane, only thing I did different was I kill monkeys immediately instead of sheeping them. Frost Nova into Deep Freeze and you can burst them down even before the healer gets a chance to heal them. Apart from that I don't really recall doing anything special, just dps as efficiently as you can, LB on 3 mobs at all times, etc. That said, wave 6 and 7 (or was it 7 and 8) were the harder ones if I recall correctly.

Oh yeah, I also ran with Incanter's Ward instead of Rune.

I got to wave 50 as frost. I gemmed Brilliant/Reckless/Veiled. For reforge I went Haste>Crit>Mastery. I have no idea if this is the best way to go, but I did quite a few different gem/reforge tries, and I feel that combination yielded best results.

For gear I used Engineering head(normal meta), Alchemy and DMC trinket, as well as items with as much gem sockets as possible.

Best tip I can give is to always keep LB up on all targets(except bunnys), this gets more and more important the higher you get.

I uploaded the video of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYS8DTuNgpg
    Last edited by Dissemoen; 2013-09-22 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mizzet View Post
    I did endless as Arcane, only thing I did different was I kill monkeys immediately instead of sheeping them
    WAIT, WAIT, WAIT, WOAH WOAH, BACK UP THERE.

... You can fucking SHEEP them?! o_O;
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Noirlama View Post
    I guess it 's not possible to get to 30+ waves as a fire mage right? =(
    Not without full regem, re-gear, lots of practice, and patience. Even then fire mage probably can't do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't get Gold on my Mage as Arcane.

WAIT, WAIT, WAIT, WOAH WOAH, BACK UP THERE.

... You can fucking SHEEP them?! o_O;

It probably is more useful in endless then the proving Ground(Bronze, Silver and Gold) since there's no time limit......right?
    Last edited by Aeluron Lightsong; 2013-09-22 at 10:44 PM.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by aeluron lightsong View Post
    it probably is more useful in endless then the proving ground(bronze, silver and gold) since there's no time limit......right?
    Wait. There isn't a time limit?!

What. The. FUCK?! How did I get W30 and not even know basic rules?!
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by dankestbuds View Post
    Does anyone know this mage: http://us.battle.net/wow/character/thrall/Dendee/

Wowprogress has him as #1 DPS for endless proving grounds, with a score of 10,000, but I don't see how that is possible..
    I think its possible but with specific gear. Since your gear scales down to 463, you'll look for specific 463+ stuff, such as trinkets (relic of yu'lon is a good option) and equipments (e.g. socketed crit/mastery on every slot)

I think that's how he made it to W100

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    Wait. There isn't a time limit?!

What. The. FUCK?! How did I get W30 and not even know basic rules?!
    I'm assuming. I haven't completed even Gold I could be wrong so don't quote me on that in your WoW Blog >.>
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

I'm pretty sure there is a time limit, I had some close calls on endless waves with 0:01s left on some rounds, and you can sheep mobs, although personally sheeping mobs hasn't been my go to strat for PGs since I haven't really had a need for it.

Herald of the Titans Kuni Zyrekai's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    There is a time limit. You can sheep most mobs, I tend to lock down the healers until most other things are dead or I can drag amber to them.

Wave 100 is definitely possible as a mage. I've managed to get to wave 69 (about 1k hp on the last mob when it failed) using arcane gemming to mastery (our worst stat at that level of gear). I play frost for proving grounds (of course) with nether tempest and invocation. I don't sheep or frostjaw any healers because I have all casts accounted for by either counterspelling, killing, deep freezing, or baiting the heal to weak monsters (wave 6). If anyone is interested in my strategy for cooldown management I set up a little cheat sheet for my second monitor when I first started PG that I don't use any more.

Our optimal gemming for proving grounds is half int > haste > crit > mastery.
    Try to get hit cap in as few pieces as possible as it doesn't get scaled down and you can get more stats on other pieces.

i.imgur.com/MJlGBKK.jpg
    (Credit for the maps and raid markers goes to the wowhead proving grounds post. I just rotated them so that north is up and the gate with the npc's next to it is at the bottom.)

edit: You can take cold snap to double cone of cold for aoe situations. I use this for waves 3 and 6 as indicated in the picture.
    Last edited by Arctroni; 2013-09-23 at 08:05 AM.

Deleted
    Stood outside of Proving Grounds ~30 seconds after EU servers opened, I one-shotted everything up until wave 30, ended it instantly when wave 31 spawned. Probably EU first with wave 30 achievement.

Wanna touch me?

Regemmed/reforged for frost in advance even though I generally only play fire. Kinda sad that there was no server first achievement involved, but it's not exactly a hard achievement I guess.

Seriously, do you want to touch me?

I don't get why people would gem haste though. Int > haste > crit > mastery should be obvious for anyone that has played frost mage for more than half an hour, maybe even int > crit > haste > mastery if you're having trouble with the big adds since you'll be throwing off at least 7 (probably more due to additional procs, but 7 are guaranteed) Ice Lances/FFBs in 20 sec, unless you screw up with procs.

And how did you guys miss the time limit counter that's displayed on your screen? You may either have some severe visibility problems, or one of your UI addons are blocking the timer. Also, how did you guys think you failed the waves eventually? Did you think some princess in a corner died, or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchmagoz View Post
    Not without full regem, re-gear, lots of practice, and patience. Even then fire mage probably can't do it.
    Tried fire on the PTR, from my experience there the lack of crit and haste seriously hurts the playstyle to the point where frost is outright better. You'll have more procs, more instants, CDs are better suited for the environment, can't ask for anything better under these circumstances. But yeah I guess when you optimize your gear for PG one might be able to pull it off with fire or even arcane, it's just not the optimal thing to do.
    Your rights as a consumer begin and end at the point where you choose not to consume, and not where you yourself influence the consumed goods.

Translation: if you don't like a game don't play it.

Did the guy at WoWprogress #1 actually beat all 100 rounds legitimately, or did he cheese it somehow?

10+ Year Old Account
    finished gold as fire. I can say fire probably worst spec for that after crit rescale. Even with 30% crit (with proper gems/gear) you often have zero crit during 3,4,5 bolts. But on sha u fail after 3d noncrit bolt. You just havent time to put pyro and combust even with TW. Failed 3 times in a row on last sha just because no crit and no streak. On 4d time I got crit from scorch and it was enough to finish gold. But for endless I dont think its good idea pray to god of crit every time when you meet sha. Most likely he do not hear you. Even with fire gems frost looking easy enough here. At least I dont feel any real problem. Got 13 waves without reforging. Also never pved in frost after TBC so most likely i can easy finish 30 waves when play few hours in this spec and feel it better.

p.s. didnt use ice floes at all. I dont think its really necessary. 1 monkey can be easy killed during deepfreeze. And on map where two monkeys you can easy zerg them if put orb to center for million procs of fingers. Also didnt use TW or BL that appeared around on first 10 waves. Ice vens more then enough.
    Last edited by Visor; 2013-09-28 at 11:21 PM.