Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Should pillars be removed from arenas?

After all this time i'm getting a bit tired of pillars and pillar abuse. Nothing is more infuriating than a healer/dps with lots of mobility kiting you in circles around a pillar because you're melee.

Don't you think arenas should just be you vs them? No gimmicks, no cheap tricks. Just your team vs their team.

I'm not subbed currently, but this was one of the things about pvp that ruined it for me. Popping cooldowns, ready to kill, and having the enemy hide behind a pillar.

There are lots of unbalanced things in arenas, but this should be one of the easiest things to fix.

Its infuriating yes but its supposed to be clever use of gameplay... apparently. Especially me with horrid lag, this makes me nerd rage so hard I just don't arena anymore.

Herald of the Titans DiscoGhost's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    completely remove all forms of CC and then maybe i could support this. maybe.

but assuming that pillars are your main beef with pvp currently, im gona guess that you just want to roll easy mode pop cds and hope to kill something.
    You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoGhost View Post
    completely remove all forms of CC and then maybe i could support this. maybe.

but assuming that pillars are your main beef with pvp currently, im gona guess that you just want to roll easy mode pop cds and hope to kill something.
    My main beef is disc priests. This is coming from an unholy DK, it's that bad.

Deleted
    Ahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaha....

Yeaaaaah, no. LoS exists for a reason.

Also, if you're having troubles killing Disc Priests as an Unholy DK, the issue isnt the pillars.

thats why you dont just "pop cds and go for a kill", but SET IT UP so they cant los/runaway and then pop cds and go for a kill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjongen View Post
    Ahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaha....

Yeaaaaah, no. LoS exists for a reason.

Also, if you're having troubles killing Disc Priests as an Unholy DK, the issue isnt the pillars.
    People seem to think necrotic strike can do anything no matter what. However, when you factor in Void tendrils, psychic scream, and divine star, there is no killing disc priests.

Deleted
    Facerolling melees wanting to br able to kill anything without problem.

Thats what i get from this topic...

Removing pillars and other los-breaking factors would completely destroy the game.

Just imagine being a healer with 3 players free casting all they want at him...

How can anyone even suggest something completely retarded like this?

Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    After all this time i'm getting a bit tired of pillars and pillar abuse. Nothing is more infuriating than a healer/dps with lots of mobility kiting you in circles around a pillar because you're melee.

Don't you think arenas should just be you vs them? No gimmicks, no cheap tricks. Just your team vs their team.

I'm not subbed currently, but this was one of the things about pvp that ruined it for me. Popping cooldowns, ready to kill, and having the enemy hide behind a pillar.

There are lots of unbalanced things in arenas, but this should be one of the easiest things to fix.
    Absolutly fucking not! No no no in every way. I can understand your frustration but try being a healer with all this cc. It is sooo necessary right now it's not even funny. Weather you want to admit it or not it is actually a skill, knowing when to pillar and when to push up isn't as easy as you think

fixed quote ~nibe
    Last edited by Nicola; 2013-09-14 at 06:06 AM.

No, but hunters should be

My answer depends on how I look at it.

If it's about personal interest, raising my rating, outplaying worse opponents then by all means keep pillars so I can survive for eternity by just kiting, even as melee.

If it's about enjoying the game and the playstyle then remove them so games are more intense, manly, faster. More straightforward. While pillars add to skill cap and strategy, they add to extremely unhonourable gameplay by turtling or playing for the draw.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have long felt that there should be one arena that has no los issues at all.
    Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

If you pop CDs and your enemy simply abuses a pole to counter you, you didn't set the kill up at all...
    My main beef is disc priests. This is coming from an unholy DK, it's that bad.
    DK's have it good. Coming from a high rated DK. I hate the tools priests have as well, but they really are the easiest healer to actually kill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joycemiester View Post
    I have long felt that there should be one arena that has no los issues at all.
    God no, ranged classes would dominate too hard. Hunters, mages.. it would be awful. Remember Ring of Valor in Wrath? Teams that had any two of the three: Destro, mage, elemental.. They could just global people instantly before they could reach any pillars, by just popping cooldowns and going "OH LOOK I HAVE DAMAGE ".
    Last edited by Thes; 2013-09-14 at 08:48 AM.

I'll give you the real solution:

Make Pillars target-able and destroy-able

If a team is having problems with Pillars your solutions is simple but you have to take into account what you sacrifice in order to accomplish this.

Deleted
    They are indeed extremely annoying but I think they add something fun aswell.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    no i dont think removing them is the answer. this coming from someone who played both melee and ranged dps classes quite a bit from BC til mid way thru Cata. if things that broke LoS werent in arenas it would be nothing more than a deathmatch where healers would still try and kite you while their dps partner tried to take you/partner down.

i can easily relate frustration as i played a full demo lock s1-s3 and actually was able to stay in the 2-2.1k arena rating on the stormstrike battlegroup. it wasnt amazing but i missed the gladiator cutoff by only about 100 rating s1-s3 playing 2's with a disc priest and 3s with the same priest and a mm hunter. so i know all about the frustrations of pillar humping. there was nothing infuriating than getting a resto druid and sl/sl lock within kill range and have them get some luck with rng and get good cc off on me while they pillar humped.

that being said, in a lot of cases if those pillars hadnt been there it really would have been a match at all. if i had been given free range to cast, with the only limitation being range, i would have been able to kill just about any class (back then mind you).

tl:dr - sometimes its dumb but imo its a good thing, i wouldnt remove the pillars. i would instead just tweak pvp numbers in general

Quote Originally Posted by Geminiel View Post
    I'll give you the real solution:

Make Pillars target-able and destroy-able

If a team is having problems with Pillars your solutions is simple but you have to take into account what you sacrifice in order to accomplish this.
    If you have problems with pillars, the problem isn't exactly the pillar but your skill level.

It's fine with pillars. I'm melee and i don't mind them much. Of course it's annoying to run after the enemy team around it, but on the other hand i'm happy to be able to survive something when my healer is CCd, instead of just being a sitting duck.
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

for that reason i liked RoV (hated it for others ) you cant just pillarhug 24/7

Quote Originally Posted by Thes View Post
    If you have problems with pillars, the problem isn't exactly the pillar but your skill level.
    I agree, but I don't see a reason why Pillars shouldn't be destroy-able. If a team want's to commit the resources to destroy a pillar(don't make it necessarily easy to do) in order to remove its LoS effects how exactly does that hurt gameplay. If anything it makes the game more dynamic and allows for more unique strategies on both fronts.