Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Malfurion cannot be part of the current story for a various amount of reasons.

First of all, many people misinterpret the Night Elfs from the start. Night Elfs despise conflict.

Here's a little summary taken from the wiki:
    Virtually all remaining night elves consider it their sworn duty to maintain the safety and balance of the natural world. They are generally honorable; a strict but just and truly compassionate people. Even so, they tend to be dismissive and distrustful of the younger races they now find within the world, and whom they consider to either be living in stubborn ignorance (for war-mongering and the destruction of nature), or as too short-lived to ever attain the responsibility and wisdom which the night elves have gained through their burdened past. In turn, many of these younger cultures perceive the night elves' attitude as one of mere arrogance or of superiority. The night elves tend to be looked upon with awe, wonder, and even mistrust, if not for their shadowy and secretive nature, longevity, and ancientness met with youthful appearance (they look forever young), then for their aloof and judging demeanor
    That part in bold shows how there's a natural resistance within the NElfs to even take part in the "lower" races conflicts.
    The cataclysm was an event that greatly impacted them directly, even to such great extent that Malfurion had to be brought back.
    For himself, he cannot be part of the last stage at all. For one reason alone. Garrosh is no match to him at all. We wouldn't have a Siege of Orgrimmar raid, since Malfurion would be perfectly able to take care of Garrosh without anyone's support other than his own powers and the forces within his powers.

And here is where we can argue about lackluster story telling in the game.
    For once, we can use the Nightelf aversion of war conflicts, since it destroys nature and balance within. But where does that stop? When is enough enough?
    No other race in the game suffered more from the Cataclysm events than the Night Elfs. No other race suffers more through Garrosh's doings by using the Cataclysm to his advantage and ravaging the Night Elfs most sacred and ancient territories.
    By any logic means, the threshold for retaliation has long been surpassed. The Nelfs striking back and crush Garrosh's forces is past overdue.
    Certainly, the Night Elfs cannot defeat the Horde as a whole, all on their own. But they'd certainly have the powers to drive the Orcs out of Ashenvale without much problems at all. Garrosh's invasion of Ashenvale makes in that regard zero sense. Invasion due to the natural disasters, yes... But certainly not the extent which is seen in the game.

I strongly hope that the race gets some center stage in the next expansion.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by Luminoth4 View Post
    Actually Malfurion's counterpart is Hamuul Runetotem, a Horde Druid who does everything Malfurion does in Cataclysm. It was Malfurion and Hamuul in Firelands. Don't play Malfurion up or Thrall down. Green Jesus was the star of Cataclysm.

Malfurion played no part in 4.3 onwards. In game he is neutral. It's rather depressing that he's done so little in the game to say he is such a major character in terms of the Night Elves, the Alliance and Warcraft itself.
    Yeah, if anything Hamuul got more of a story in 4.2 with the being burned and showing up at the end to save Malfurion and the player than malfurion himself did. Everything big that Mal did in hyjal/firelands Hamuul was also there.

Actually Malfurion's counterpart is Hamuul Runetotem, a Horde Druid who does everything Malfurion does in Cataclysm. It was Malfurion and Hamuul in Firelands. Don't play Malfurion up or Thrall down. Green Jesus was the star of Cataclysm.

Malfurion played no part in 4.3 onwards. In game he is neutral. It's rather depressing that he's done so little in the game to say he is such a major character in terms of the Night Elves, the Alliance and Warcraft itself.
    Has Malfurion EVER fought directly for the Alliance out of interest?

I can't really remember because i've always found him such a boring character

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    currently rotting in Darnassus and forced to tell Tyrande how good she looks after 10k years.
    If a human looked as good as she does after 10k years I wouldn't be complaining. Haaay

Heh, they're keeping him as Cenarion Circle leader. And good thing too. If Malfurion was taking part in the Horde-Alliance conflict, the Horde would have stood little chance. The man is a daring tactical genius.

It was Malfurion's planning that brought an end to the demon lord Archimonde. It was Malfurion that turned Ragnaros' invasion of Mount Hyjal back on him, invading the Firelands and seeing to his destruction. There's a reason why the Nightmare Lord took Malfurion out first. And why Azshara did her best to keep his focus from Hyjal at the start of Cataclysm. If you let Malfurion run wild to oppose your plans, you're gonna lose.

So yeah, it's no surprise at all that we don't see Malfurion in this conflict. We'd have seen him if Garrosh tried tossing the heart into the Well of Eternity next, for it to drink that power too.

Quote Originally Posted by wych View Post
    Has Malfurion EVER fought directly for the Alliance out of interest?

I can't really remember because i've always found him such a boring character
    Don't think so. He met up briefly with kael'thas in Frozen Throne I think when KT was still Alliance, but he was there to aid Maiev and finally to rescue Tyrande.

In Vanilla through wrath he was in the emerald dream.

He's helping out in Darkshore but that's more of a 'defending darkshore' thing than helping the alliance as a whole, doesn't fight against the horde forces there.

His only real involvement that I know of with the Alliance at large is taking part in the alliance council in Darnassus in Wolfheart. And even there, when news of the invasion comes he stays behind in Darnassus to track down the highborne murderer instead of helping repel the Horde in Ashenvale.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    No, lorewise Malfurion is the leader of the Cenarion Circle, which until the events of the third war was exclusively night elf members but they are *Druid* not *Night Elf* affiliated and there is a difference, one they have been lackluster at emphasizing. Any storyline with Druids in it will *need* him there, Night Elf storylines don't, and tend to be better off without him.
    For this Malfurion's role should be more clearer, and while Tyrande is his wife, I guess his place would be more fitting in Hyjal or Moonglade. Until Thrall will decide to officially confirm his full alligiance with the Horde, in that case they would be both buddies in, let's say, putting a feet in two shoes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Goremonger View Post
    Maybe he is just taking a nap.
    Druids are known for those. They even tend to take a while, too...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Caerule View Post
    Heh, they're keeping him as Cenarion Circle leader. And good thing too. If Malfurion was taking part in the Horde-Alliance conflict, the Horde would have stood little chance. The man is a daring tactical genius.

It was Malfurion's planning that brought an end to the demon lord Archimonde. It was Malfurion that turned Ragnaros' invasion of Mount Hyjal back on him, invading the Firelands and seeing to his destruction. There's a reason why the Nightmare Lord took Malfurion out first. And why Azshara did her best to keep his focus from Hyjal at the start of Cataclysm. If you let Malfurion run wild to oppose your plans, you're gonna lose.

So yeah, it's no surprise at all that we don't see Malfurion in this conflict. We'd have seen him if Garrosh tried tossing the heart into the Well of Eternity next, for it to drink that power too.
    This too. Malfurion is the most powerful Druid on the entire planet. This puts him up in the tier range of Thrall, Jaina, and very few others. In reality, warriors and fighters like Garrosh and Varian should have nothing on them. Who can summon a hurricane strong enough to decimate both demons and elves alike? Malfurion. Who can wreak utter havoc with the aid of the elements? Thrall. Who can create giant tidal waves and massive Dragon's Breath that lasts forever? Jaina. Someone who can 'fight really well' doesn't quite compare.

10+ Year Old Account
    Somewhere between here and the sick, twisted world inside my head
    Quote Originally Posted by bufferunderrun View Post
    So after being a central character in the rts and in many books the only apparence we got for him in wow for year was a cameo in the scepter quest chain, then cata come and they take him out of the fridge only to let him chill again in darnassus? Is there really no chance to see him again back in action? Maybe as thrall counterpart for the alliance?
    What i don't get why blizzard still investing alot of time and resource to build up anduin (in a similar way they have done to thrall) when alliance already have a champion with a well estabilished lore that isn't really neutral (like tirion that still out of the alliance)?
    Well considering his relationship with Aszhara, there is a chance we might see him and Tyrande and central characters in the next expansion, if it turns out to be about Azhara.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    No, lorewise Malfurion is the leader of the Cenarion Circle, which until the events of the third war was exclusively night elf members but they are *Druid* not *Night Elf* affiliated and there is a difference, one they have been lackluster at emphasizing. Any storyline with Druids in it will *need* him there, Night Elf storylines don't, and tend to be better off without him.
    Why you say that? Lorewise Malfurion is the leader of the night elf, and the cenarion circle itself was a nelf organization, only thanks to malfurion it welcomed some druids from other races; tyrande on the other hand wasn't a leader she was a benedictus like figure in nelf society; actually for many years the nelf leader was staghelm until Malfurion return.
    And nelf storyline where and are better with malfurion involved than they are with boring-tyrande, in my opinion forcefully keeping him out of the scene is an harakiri for blizzard and a bad move for alliance lore, Malfurion throught not fully alliance isn't fully neutral and can be what thrall is for the horde atm more than any other character.
    what is really strange is the alliance fanboy attitude torward him i don't see around many asking for him to be more involved, i read many name around from Alleria, to Calia but very few ask for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Obviously this issue doesn't affect me however unlike some raiders I don't see the point in taking satisfaction in this injustice, it's wrong, just because it doesn't hurt me doesn't stop it being wrong, the player base should stand together when Blizzard do stupid shit like this not laugh at the ones being victimised.

Deleted
    He is just too strong to be on alliance side, isnt he like one of the most powerful mortals currently.

Why you say that? Lorewise Malfurion is the leader of the night elf, and the cenarion circle itself was a nelf organization, only thanks to malfurion it welcomed some druids from other races; tyrande on the other hand wasn't a leader she was a benedictus like figure in nelf society; actually for many years the nelf leader was staghelm until Malfurion return.
    And nelf storyline where and are better with malfurion involved than they are with boring-tyrande, in my opinion forcefully keeping him out of the scene is an harakiri for blizzard and a bad move for alliance lore, Malfurion throught not fully alliance isn't fully neutral and can be what thrall is for the horde atm more than any other character.
    what is really strange is the alliance fanboy attitude torward him i don't see around many asking for him to be more involved, i read many name around from Alleria, to Calia but very few ask for him.
    Thrall is as horde as you could get. He always spouts "for the horde".

NE society works like this after the Sundering. The high priestess is also political position. Tyrande is the official ruler of NE. Cenarion Circle is druid organization. It's not directly a political organization for NEs but CC hold high respect and influence over the NE's society. That's its leader has comparable power to Tyrande. Before his fall, Fandral was always arguing with Tyrande about the direction they wanted to take NE to. NE basically has 2 powers that rule over them.

15+ Year Old Account
    He should be very important if the next expansion is an Azshara related expansion, especially if we see Illidan return. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Blizzard forgot about him like they have done with other important characters in the past.

Tyrande lead her people for 10000 years while the druids slept. And even when Malfurion returned, they seemed to rule as a pair rather than one deferring to the other. In WC 3 Tyranden even says 'only the goddess may forbid me anything' when she goes to free Illidan.

Lore wise, yes Mal is co leader of the night elves, but it's funny that in game he only shows up doing CC related stuff except in darkshore, and even there he's not doing any real NE leadership. For better or worse in game he's been relegated to CC leader while Tyrande gets all the NE leadership stuff.

and in Vanilla Staghelm was NOT the leader of the night elves. Yeah there was something of a power struggle because of their differing views but he never became the outright NElf leader, it was Staghelm who was more of a bennedictus character in terms of influence.

Malfurion, Velen, and Jaina are the most powerful Alliance members. Thrall is probably the only Horde leader with devastating power he can readily call upon but he also has Metzen on his side.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldNSilence View Post
    Malfurion, Velen, and Jaina are the most powerful Alliance members. Thrall is probably the only Horde leader with devastating power he can readily call upon but he also has Metzen on his side.
    People really underestimate Varian, that mother fuck is possessed by a Wolf God spirit, when he wants to he has super human speed, strength and reflexes.

I currently imagine since the loss of power of Ysera, that Malfurion and Cenarius are now rather busy with making sure the Emerald Dream is okay/safe. As such Malfurion not showing up is not that incredibly strange. Else would have thought him to be quite interested in this new continent, more so the vale since it's very akin to that small unsignificant pool under Nordrassil.
    I'm an altoholic since 2005.

10+ Year Old Account
    He and Hamuul are the Archdruids for their races. They are as much a part of the Horde/Alliance as they are the Cenarian Circle. Thes wouldn't hesitate to defend and fight alongside their faction but also must take into account the health of the world as a whole due to being druids. So until forced into action they will prefer to help in ways that do not cause conflict.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    You do realize that the story of Mists was entirely created by Blizzard and if they'd wanted Malfurion to fit in it they could have easily done that right?
    You do realize that Blizzard has made the stories for Warcraft since conception? And that he didn't fit in the story they made for Mists.
    Last edited by Agent Mercury; 2013-09-15 at 09:49 PM.

Yet it seem that not so many alliance players are hot about Malfurion, i often read the us battlenet story forum and out of the many threads here no one is asking for a more screen time for malfurion; it seem kinda strange when peoples ask for any damn no one when such an important lore figure still mia.
    Actually Malfurion counterpart is Thrall, in both how they behave and how important they are in lore, hamuul is just the horde connection with the cenarion circle much like nobudo is the alliance one with the earth ring; also in the horde society shamans are probably more important than druids and in alliance is the other way around.
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Obviously this issue doesn't affect me however unlike some raiders I don't see the point in taking satisfaction in this injustice, it's wrong, just because it doesn't hurt me doesn't stop it being wrong, the player base should stand together when Blizzard do stupid shit like this not laugh at the ones being victimised.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldNSilence View Post
    The nice thing with shamanism in wow is that you are like superman, depending on what the author needs, you are either a total wuss (because elements said no today) or you hold a planet together (because elements said yes today). Malfurion and "nature" are alot more straight forward here, Velen and Jaina are very predicitable in that regard as well, though Jaina is not on the planetary scale like Thrall, Malfurion or Velen (he didn't get much screen time until now, so I hate attributing him that much power just because of some obscure references).

Quote Originally Posted by wych View Post
    People really underestimate Varian, that mother fuck is possessed by a Wolf God spirit, when he wants to he has super human speed, strength and reflexes.
    Goldrinn is an ancient. Personally I would place him way below an Aspect, which Thrall stood shoulder on shoulder with. While winning against garry in wolf heart it was still not by an overwhelming margin like you would think of others and their legendary feats.

Yet it seem that not so many alliance players are hot about Malfurion, i often read the us battlenet story forum and out of the many threads here no one is asking for a more screen time for malfurion; it seem kinda strange when peoples ask for any damn no one when such an important lore figure still mia.
    Actually Malfurion counterpart is Thrall, in both how they behave and how important they are in lore, hamuul is just the horde connection with the cenarion circle much like nobudo is the alliance one with the earth ring; also in the horde society shamans are probably more important than druids and in alliance is the other way around.
    Maybe it's the ridiculous appearance they came up with for Malfurion that makes him less likeable? Even Jesus Thrall with his fancy red beads and ragged robe looks more heroic than bird-antler-paw man. I really need to read that short story about tyrande again .
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2013-09-15 at 10:22 PM.