Death Knight Flavor Quest

So.... the Green Fire warlock quest is something that people have wanted for a while and it begged the question, should every class have some kind of flavor quests to it?

This got me thinking:

The powers of necromancy originated from the Legion. The first Death Knights came by putting the souls of warlocks into different bodies. The Liches that we know are former Death Knights that were captured by the Burning Legion and turned. Kil'Jaden himself actually created the Lich King. The bottom line is: the Death Knights, their powers, and the majority of Necromancy appears to have come from either the Burning Legion or Fel powers in general.

We also know that Legion is coming back.

So what if... we got a quest chain that involved us (Death Knights) tapping into the origin of our powers and becoming "Legion" Knights?

We would replace our frost powers with fiery ones.

In many different stories and magical settings (including WoW), fire and ice magic are simple opposite directions of the same basic power. It's not impossible to think that a master of frost could also have aptitude with fire.

- Icy Touch could be fireballs
    - Frost Fever could become a burning disease that makes the target smoke
    - Howling Blast could be a flame wave
    - Remorseless Winter could be a firestorm, like what the yangol do on Timeless Isle and instead of encasing them in ice, it applies Conflag CC similar to what Razorgore and the first boss of Mogushan Palace has
    - Chains of Ice could be replaced with... fiery shackles (or just shackles, kind of like the DK throwing metal chains that wrap around your feet, like Ghostrider)
    - Frost Presence is replaced with Burning Presence
    - Path of Frost replaced with.... something to the effect of heating your feet so that it creates steam with the water and the pressure of that causes you to "float" when walking on water [I'll admit, kind of a stretch]
    - Mind Freeze becomes Searing Mind that adds like a "head on fire/smoking" graphic
    - Icebound Fortitude becomes Burning Will and the DK would catch fire much like the Warrior glyph
    - Frost Runes would become Fire Runes
    - Pillar of Frost could be replaced with the old Hysteria - the name even fits to include the anti-movement aspect

For the passives and Razorice, a simple name change could apply and for the character model as a whole... since the blue eye glow originates from their frost powers, the Legion knights would instead have an orange or red eye glow.

What do you guys think?

The first death knight's and the death knight's whom are playable in game are a bit different, and as such I couldn't see fire having anything to do with us unless it was like a "it's so cold it burns" fire and even then that's a frost thing

Well, the Lich King's power (presumably, the one that is used for the playable DKs) came from Kil'Jaden. He made the Lich King.

Well even so (and trust me I think this sounds cool actually) Arthas turned out far different then Kil'Jaden wanted him to. Thea death knights he raised that ended up playable are too different as a whole to be able to use fire almost. While it would be really cool to do, I think with Blizz's view on the playable death knights that really the so cold it burns is the only way they would add any sort of fire to us.
    However some sort of extension hero class might be cool that sort of incorporates death knights, although the backlash on that would be immense.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxweii View Post
    Well even so (and trust me I think this sounds cool actually) Arthas turned out far different then Kil'Jaden wanted him to. Thea death knights he raised that ended up playable are too different as a whole to be able to use fire almost. While it would be really cool to do, I think with Blizz's view on the playable death knights that really the so cold it burns is the only way they would add any sort of fire to us.
    However some sort of extension hero class might be cool that sort of incorporates death knights, although the backlash on that would be immense.
    This be true. It is also the underlying reason why people normally separate them into First, Second and Third generation deathknights. Each generation is essentially different in many characteristics.

Believe it or not, but more players tend to relate to Ner'zhul's/Arthas' deathknights more than Guldan's, so I'm not quite sure how the community may welcome the idea.

Could be something related to Bolvar since the dragon's flame has made him forever molten or something. It'd give me a good reason to use the heroic Magma plate armor if anything.

Flavour quest?
    don't we have our own quest line from 55-58 and end up with really nice gear?

Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    Flavour quest?
    don't we have our own quest line from 55-58 and end up with really nice gear?
    Except for the Green set, everyone can get our armor.

The flavor quest would be something like the warlock green fire quests where we don't actually get anything that affects gameplay, but is purely cosmetic.

There could be flavor quests for other classes:

Druids - learn to commune/channel the Loa

Paladins - Tap into "Argent" power to make their spell affects silver, or into the "Scarlet Crusade" to make their spell affects red

Shamans - they channel the elements and utilize the power of their ancestors, the "dead" ancestors. Maybe they could gain some skeletal/necromancy spell effects like a bone witch.

Mages - since they might need both hands to cast spells, perhaps they can learn a spell that lets their staff and any wands float around them during combat and they can get new, unique spell casting animations

Hunters - could re-earn their quivers, or perhaps add a Diablo 3 Demon Hunter spin to their abilities giving them shadowy spell effects when they cast and allowing the taming of some demons.