Thread: SoO best spec

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Lightbulb SoO best spec

Hello guyz,

I have not tried PTR but wondering if anyone can help me which mage spec will roll in SoO
    we are gonna try SoO today..

any hints plz

thx

There's a similar thread, now locked, but still worth reading to understand the opinions of other mages.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...rting-5-4-with

As always too early to tell, it's prolly between arcane and fire for top spot with frost a bit behind. Arcane has multidot, AoE and higher single target when not moving, with semi-decent cleave. Fire got strong ST all around with a strong cleave and it's really easy to max aside from combustion timings. From all I've seen we have to go on fight basis, but there are again just fights that I wouldn't take a mage if I would make a strongest comp on 25 man heroic, but that's just minmaxings sake.

In the end it's too early to call, most top guilds are hiding their progress for now and EU side aint even up yet. All mage specs seem good, but not great for now.

Hunter... with sporebat

Just watched a mage on a stream run through SoO as fire.

Fire should still beat frost > ilevel 540, even with the 'bustion nerf. So I'd say fire.

I'm having a very hard time figuring out how a spec that is tied to a pedestal (RoP) can be any kind of viable for progression. Sure, you can do well if it's like "haha okay go stand in the corner ignore all mechancis and dps the boss," but that is very rarely the case in real progression raiding.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyromelter View Post

Fire should still beat frost > ilevel 540, even with the 'bustion nerf. So I'd say fire.

I'm having a very hard time figuring out how a spec that is tied to a pedestal (RoP) can be any kind of viable for progression. Sure, you can do well if it's like "haha okay go stand in the corner ignore all mechancis and dps the boss," but that is very rarely the case in real progression raiding.
    Playing Arcane at 521 ilevel tonight, and Rune of Power is hardly an issue at all. I can see some fights where it might be a pain in the ass still, however your radius is so large now you have plenty of room to dodge abilities, plus if you lay out two you can cover quite a large area.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    RoP did fairly well for me tonight as Arcane. Didn't have any real issues. With the haste levels were at recasting it isn't too terrible and outside of long-distance travels there isn't a whole to of downtime to begin with. The new Blink Glyph that replaced the Invisibility glyph is pretty handy. I would consider using that in conjunction with the reworked Ice Floes now, but I've yet to actually test it; it may still turn out to be too impractical.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasted View Post
    RoP did fairly well for me tonight as Arcane. Didn't have any real issues. With the haste levels were at recasting it isn't too terrible and outside of long-distance travels there isn't a whole to of downtime to begin with. The new Blink Glyph that replaced the Invisibility glyph is pretty handy. I would consider using that in conjunction with the reworked Ice Floes now, but I've yet to actually test it; it may still turn out to be too impractical.
    Yeah, used the new blink glyph a little and enjoyed it. Prob replace it with my Mana Gem 10 charge glyph since that really isn't that helpful. I hate ice floes with a passion though, probably just stick with blazing speed at the moment until Movement picks up during progression.

Fire is likely to out-compete Arcane at the beginning, if not due to inherent power then due to the fact that you're probably already in Crit-heavy Fire gear rather than Mastery-heavy Arcane gear.
    Which one will be best at the end of the tier is not really yet apparent, but fortunately you don't really need to know that yet because you're not going to replace your gear overnight. Fire's really never going to be a bad bet though.

Arcane and Fire are almost dead even in SoO at starting gear levels. Arcane pulls ahead in heavy add fights, and fire pulls ahead in low target/heavy movement fights. The arcane mage in my guild and I were bouncing back and forth for top mage spot on a fight by fight basis. Not sure how the fights will end up in heroic, but on normal you can definitely choose either one as your spec and do fine.

Went 7/14 tonight as arcane and had no issues with movement and outperformed our fire mages and many other dps (finished the night 2nd overall in damage only because u died early on in a Sha and Shaman attempt). We 1 shot 4 of the bosses so there wasn't really much practicing minimizing movement either, heroics will be a different story but I expect to get plenty of practice with each fight. So far arcane is strongest single target and multidot and possibly even comparable in cleave not to mention increasingly strong AoE as mastery scales high. So far all around arcane wins but before anyone starts in this is just my opinion and my experience with normal mode 7/14. Hope to get at least 4-6 more down tomorrow so ill comment then on those fights.

Kenbud did you run with ROP or IW?

Quote Originally Posted by Pyromelter View Post

Frost is very competitive right now, don't rule it out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ran as Frost on the first 5 encounters. Frost does really well on add fights. I need to fine tune some things on single target. All our dps have the cloak, and I ranked high to medium on all fights.
    Playing
    WildStar -Mechari Medic, Draken Stalker
    Diablo: RoS
    GW2 - Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by oraz4000 View Post
    Kenbud did you run with ROP or IW?
    I used rune

We went 6/13 last night, I played fire on some and frost on some since I am in 10 man. Frost really does well on add heavy fights and helps to control them as well. These are the specs I went for the first 6. I would try arcane, but I hate having to watch my mana bar the entire fight jst to make sure I stay in the 90 percentile.

Immerseus - frost cause of adds, but the adds die really fast so you can play whatever you like

Protectors - Fire great cleave damage

Norushen - Fire probably fine with arcane not a ton of movement, besides being in the realm below

Sha of Pride - Frost great for the small adds and you can deep freeze the large add helps with healing and damage going out

Galakras - Frost - great for add control - fire can do well here as well - possible arcane as well

Iron Juggernaut - Fire lots of movement

Dark Shaman - Frost to control the adds - arcane might be decent on the adds, but this fight has a ton of movement.

Keep in mind this is 10 man perspective since in 25 man you have a lot more people to deal with stuff in 10 man you help whichever way you can until all the fights are learned and you can try other ways to pump out the dps. I always focus on whats better for the team and not whats going to put me at the top of the dps charts. Frost did well in terms of dps on some of the fights, but even with doing well I seen other classes come from behind to catch me a few times on dps. Hopefully this helps and will give me information when I do the rest of the fights if it is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Glimmerr View Post
    We went 6/13 last night, I played fire on some and frost on some since I am in 10 man. Frost really does well on add heavy fights and helps to control them as well. These are the specs I went for the first 6. I would try arcane, but I hate having to watch my mana bar the entire fight jst to make sure I stay in the 90 percentile.

Immerseus - frost cause of adds, but the adds die really fast so you can play whatever you like

Protectors - Fire great cleave damage

Norushen - Fire probably fine with arcane not a ton of movement, besides being in the realm below

Sha of Pride - Frost great for the small adds and you can deep freeze the large add helps with healing and damage going out

Galakras - Frost - great for add control - fire can do well here as well - possible arcane as well

Iron Juggernaut - Fire lots of movement

Dark Shaman - Frost to control the adds - arcane might be decent on the adds, but this fight has a ton of movement.
    All bosses: Frost.

This is a "best spec" thread not "what spec did you play" thread.
    Saying "Frost is the most powerful Mage spec for all bosses in SoO" is going to need to be backed up by numbers because it is a fairly outlandish claim.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastamage View Post
    All bosses: Frost.
    Please don't troll, we don't need another spec v. Spec argument.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kiry View Post
    Ran as Frost on the first 5 encounters. Frost does really well on add fights. I need to fine tune some things on single target. All our dps have the cloak, and I ranked high to medium on all fights.
    What do you mean by ranked? Logs aren't even active yet

Quote Originally Posted by Kenbud View Post
    Please don't troll, we don't need another spec v. Spec argument.

- - - Updated - - -

What do you mean by ranked? Logs aren't even active yet
    I, sir, am not trolling. Frost is more competitive than people seem to think. I'm not saying everyone has to play Frost but I am saying that you CAN play Frost on every boss and be competitive. Haste build is looking to be better than a hybrid of haste/mastery.