Thread: Thok the BT

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by blgns View Post
    Taking Cascade for stacked fight, and not using pom on fight with constant dmg is big facepalm. Additionaly im not sure, but it seems that he should have more healing from poh (even if he use it mainly for spirit shell, still he should have few casts between Thok's interrupts). Additionaly i dont really now what is with his gear. He got wrong gems for both disci & shadow (even if he regemed shadow to disci for thok or another fight)
    Our disc rathers to Atone heal more than anything else eek. I really don't know enough about disc to point a finger and say "HEY YOU! BUBBLE!" :P

We tried it tonight. It feels a tad overtuned. His energy regeneration stacks too quickly. No kill for us, we werent kiting long enough. I think 13 was our max.

Quote Originally Posted by Zatetic View Post
    We tried it tonight. It feels a tad overtuned. His energy regeneration stacks too quickly. No kill for us, we werent kiting long enough. I think 13 was our max.
    11/14 here, killed him after the hot fix.

Thok post-fix is by far the hardest encounter in the raid (excluding garrosh, haven't heard much about him) as far as numbers go. We 3-healed and still managed to kill him, but the trick is that you HAVE to draw out the kiting phases. We burn the jailer down ASAP and then I grab the key and wait until it has about 20 seconds left before actually using it, while all the ranged dps do what they can to the boss.

Water > Poison > Fire is how we did it, and having 3 healers for the post-poison phase is a tremendous help with dispels and RNG taking one or both of your healers in a row with fixate.

We killed it without a pally in raid, unfortunately, but Devo is a lifesaver in P1. We lusted on pull and had healers rotating CDs for the entirety of P1, Tranq first since it would be interrupted pretty quickly, then instant cds such as bubble, HTT, Spirit Link, Demo/Rally (had 2 warriors including myself), etc. A good goal to aim for is 16 or more stacks of Acceleration before your first transition. After that, subsequent P1s do not last long at all, due to the DoT and the fire all over the ground. Killed him in the last kiting phase (nobody left to free with the key so we ignored jailer).

One-tanking is probably viable, I got 6 stacks when our OT dced on one pull and with good use of Shield Wall/Healthstones/Last Stand/Iron Bark/Pain Suppression, I did not have any trouble surviving until stacks dropped. That said, it is unnecessary especially if you're just going to put in another ranged dps for the second tank, since ranged dps become basically useless at the end of P1.

Any cooldowns that cause immunity to silence will help you get around the roar.

25 man:
    We grouped as long as possible in p1and then grouped in a different spot to kill the jailer. We pushed p2 to 15 stacks and had our ranged focus on Thok while the melee killed the jailer and did what they could to Thok without risking getting Chomped. Once we figured out the stacking the fight was quite easy, didn't even see Montak's fire.

Thok was kited back and forth from the entrance to behind where he stands so we could stay stacked in p2.

10+ Year Old Account
    not to sound like a nub but what hotfix was done? i killed it wed O:
    Chaos! Madness! Like a hug for your brain!¯\(°_o)/¯
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpheus View Post
    People doing below 200k dps? Ain't nobody got time for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by smartazjb0y View Post
    Why? Why should content be gated behind skill?
    14/14h and finally done

Quote Originally Posted by Redrun View Post
    not to sound like a nub but what hotfix was done? i killed it wed O:
    Pre- hotfix, Thok would gain energy a lot slower than intended.

pre hotfix ppl didnt deserve the kill thats how bad it was
    "The speed of light is faster than the speed of sound.
    That's why so many people look smart until they start talking."

FC-0404-6893-4293 Fire safari Larvesta/Growlithe/Braixen IGN: X Archimand, Y Shina.

But if u 1 Tank him as someone said isn´t the Tank gonna get Frosted at 5 Stacks after he gets the Frost guys abilities

Deleted
    Anyone on 10man that killed the fight with frequent double fixates? We seemed to have them happened nearly every fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Special-K View Post
    But if u 1 Tank him as someone said isn´t the Tank gonna get Frosted at 5 Stacks after he gets the Frost guys abilities
    My guild may just be bad but we only got 3 or 4 stacks of frost, acid, and fire. 6 in P1. We didn't last long, spent probably the majority of the fight in the kiting phase.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Restodirk View Post
    Anyone on 10man that killed the fight with frequent double fixates? We seemed to have them happened nearly every fight.
    Prepare your BRs is the best advice I can give. Another option is setting up warlock portals/priest feathers/life grips and kiting in a circle instead of to the entrance, but you won't be able to outrun him for nearly as long and will need to push phases a little faster.

10+ Year Old Account
    Our only issue (other than doing things mechanically incorrect) was having Thok re-fixate on his fixate target after he ate the caged person. Every few pulls he would turn and munch the previous person being fixated.

Deleted
    Back again! We killed him and paragons! TY for the advice! We 3 healed, pushed his first p1 to 17/18 stacks and the fixates around about 8-11 depending and the other p1's til 10ish (can't remember exactly) but was FINE after kiting him up and down that hall and making use of devo/bop and unending resolve (warlocky thingy). Best of luck to everyone else

Quote Originally Posted by royals View Post
    Our only issue (other than doing things mechanically incorrect) was having Thok re-fixate on his fixate target after he ate the caged person. Every few pulls he would turn and munch the previous person being fixated.
    This is because when he fixates that person takes agro, or what i saw form watching omen, tave your tank taunt while hes comes for npc and should be fine.
    As Kalraii said they went down for us last night on 2nd pull, thanks for all the advice!
    /rose
    This is ten percent luck, twenty percent skill
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will
    Five percent pleasure, fifty percent pain
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

10+ Year Old Account
    What exactly is this hallway trick you all speak of? Are you running down one side then warlock portaling back? Off the top of my head I see one person being trapped down the hallway as the 2nd fixate is kiting him back up the hallway... I feel like a picture would help me better understand the strategy. We were kiting him away from the door we were about to unlock to give as much uptime as possible while he ran back to the cage.

Definitely going to be a DPS/HPS/(gear) check.

We did 19 / 14 / 14 / 15 with the P1 transitions. Our experience was that the longer you can go in those phases the better. BoP + Tranq was great, as was devo aura, really nice to have a paladin for this fight even if they're not healing.

Chase phase we did 9 / 14 / 10. It definitely seemed too random for our tastes. We had range on Thok & melee+tanks on the Jailer. By the time two melee, one of whom often ended up being chased, got the jailer down we were most definitely wanting to free the prisoners & phase change ASAP. The running just gets too awkward too quick was our take.

Curious if anyone has tried a two-groups-of-four strat for phase 1. We just brute forced it with one big group for that phase, which lead to a few semi-random swaps at first.

Bloodied's dungeon journal description: "When players fall beneath 50% health, Thok the Bloodthirsty can smell their blood. If 5 or more players who are Bloodied are within 10 yards of one another, the scent of blood becomes overwhelming and Thok enters a frenzy for blood. "

So if you had your non-tanks clustered in two groups of 4 that're 11-15 yards away from each other, you could guarantee not shifting out of the first phase until you were ready. Just wait till you're at X stacks, then have the two groups shift together.

The down side being you're at much higher risk of accidentally having someone die, where the forced phase swap from staying in one group tends to ensure that you get swapped prior to any deaths.

Oh, and we also had significant issues with the warlock portal despawning because apparently our lock ran too far way from it or something. Serious PITA for this.
    Last edited by lakhesis; 2013-09-17 at 09:19 AM.

Deleted
    We had no issue whatsoever 2 healing it. The trick is to extend the transitions as long as you dare to get some uninterrupted DPS on the boss. The way we did it was to let him fixate 2 more times after we killed the jailor. After the 2nd swap we opened the cage, he will fixate very shortly on a player after that 2nd fixate before charging to the NPC (at this point he'll have picked up a lot of stacks and will be almost impossible to kite without rocket boots).
    We used BL when the jailor was dead before opening the last cage (fire). He was dead before the fire and the interrupt were getting problematic.

[QUOTE=Saiyoran;22413662]My guild may just be bad but we only got 3 or 4 stacks of frost, acid, and fire. 6 in P1. We didn't last long, spent probably the majority of the fight in the kiting phase.

- - - Updated - - -

Jea sure but we Actualy dont wanna Phase after only 3-4 stacks more like 5-6 so we get more Boss DPS done before Kiting phase with Poison Debuff and Fire phase with like 3 we only get him around 30%

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightspear View Post
    a lot of guilds killed him before hotfix, I think. His energy gain is much higher now, making the needed dps and healing requirements much higher. He might even be slightly overtuned compared to the rest of the instance.

3 healing and trying to extend the kite phase while ranged dps are on the boss, seems to be the way now.
    Jin'rokh would be overtuned compared to the rest of instance.

Deleted
    Hiya,

I'm the raid leader for a, by no means hardcore guild (only 13/14 after week one), and we killed Thok on our 11th attempt (after the hotfix) by piddling around with the kite phase and order of NPC's.

We started off with the NPC order of Frost > Poison > Fire. After 3 or 4 wipes at <10% in the fire phase, we decided to change things around slightly.

We seemed to be taking a bit too much damage in the kite phase between Poison Phase & Fire Phase, so we went about countering that, as the Frost phase barely seemed to do anything.

What worked for us was Heroism & Nuke > Poison > Frost > Fire, (where > indicates a kiting phase). We have a Disc and HPala healing-wise, stacking and nuking through the Poison Phase made it so much easier with major healing CD's up. As the Frost Phase doesn't seem to hit that hard, it also meant we had some healing CD's back up for the Fire Phase. After the initial heroism & nuke, 1st kiting phase, and subsequent Poison Phase, I think we had the boss on about 38% before we took him into his 2nd transition phase (where we were going to let him kill Frosty).

For the kiting phases, we decided to have 2 dps (melee if possible) go onto the Jailer with both tanks to kill it, and let all your ranged stay on the boss. If you have a priest, the speed feathers are really useful for classes that don't have many speed boosts, throw them around the room and kite him for as long as possible. We have a warlock and the gateway is God-like here. We regularly got to 5 or 6 fixates before having to get the NPC's chomped up, which allowed for approx 5-15% extra hp being knocked off (depending on how lucky your RNG is regarding who gets fixated - we had it once where both healers got fixated 4 times between them and then 2 melee got it, so ranged could smash the boss resulting in 15% hp disappearing!).

A couple of tips for kiting:

- The 'corridor' where you enter the room did not reset the boss for us when our HPala ran to the entrance door (not sure whether this will be changed).
    - Work out which NPC you are spawning next, and have the boss as far away from it as possible. This results in him having a longer distance to move towards the NPC, granting you an extra 10-20 seconds of DPS time. For example, if you are about to spawn the fire boss, have everybody topped up then move the boss as far down the corridor as possible. It might take one person (preferably a healer or melee) out of the fight for a few seconds, but it gives your ranged DPS the extra time on the boss. Another example would be if you're spawning the Poison NPC, have the boss kited towards the Fire NPC's door before he has to run the length of the room to chomp up le'Poison.
    - Have some markers set out where you want your group to stack initially, and after the Frost & Poison NPC's have been eaten.
    - Make sure nobody is stood directly behind the boss / running behind the boss as he is eating the NPC's. We learnt the hardway that 9 times out of 10 he does a tail swipe INSTANTLY after devouring them.

Our Set-UP:

Prot Warrior (Me, Rallying Cry / Vigilance / Demo Banner)
    Guardian Druid (BoP them and Tranq)

Assassination Rogue (Smoke bomb in Poison Phase was useful). -> Killed Jailer
    Frost DK (Anti Magic Zone was only used once during the Poison Phase). -> Killer Jailer
    Elemental Shaman (Healing Rain & Conductivity is win here, now that Healing Tide Totem is no longer a talent).
    Destruction Warlock (Gateways and Healthstones <3).
    Survival Hunter
    Shadow Priest (extra Mass Dispell during poison phase, Vampiric Embrace also useful, Speed Feathers).

Disc Priest (Speed Feathers).
    HPala (Devo Aura)

We tried this set up once, and got a kill. Having the poison up during the transition into the fire phase was really damaging for us, so having the poison up going into the frost phase was the obvious solution.

Hope this helps and GL.
    Last edited by mmoc347565242b; 2013-09-18 at 02:46 PM.

Any 25 man Raids have input after the hotfix?