Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Why would determination be for soloing only? I don't know how it scales, but it does increase healing output, which is never bad

About the manaregen, I don't like it at all, we have no spell to give us even a little bit of mana back, so we rely on bards; nor do we have any OHSHIT-spell until the level50 classquest.

I also think that Freecure is way too rng, it's fine when it procs, but it usually doesn't when you really need it. Overcure is just useless, it would be fine if they at least somewhat increased the range, but as it is now, you basically have to stack on the target so heal everyone...

The THMs instacast is really useful, but it's a pain in the ass to level a class without really having quests. Of course FATEs are better anyway to level up, but it's just boring

You have shroud,which gives back quite a lot of mana. Neither SCH have anything until very late into the game concerning OH SHIT situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaak View Post
    Why would determination be for soloing only? I don't know how it scales, but it does increase healing output, which is never bad
    Determination is worth about half of your primary attribute. (rule of thumb)

Ty for the responses. I wasn't sure about how stats were scaling. I figured crit could get us into trouble with threat, but it is nice to crit now and then

I thought spell speed conversion was so bad it wasn't worth taking on any class.

(this is why I'm very happy we have a FFXIV forum, the megathread ended up confusing me and a chore to try and go back and look for a specific post )

Other than THM insta-cast; any other really great cross over abilities to get? I'm not worried about leveling other classes; I've left nearly all side quests in my wake so far as I hit nearly every fate around me with an ocd like compulsion lol

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrillaforilla View Post
    Yeah once u get to Brayflox's Longstop you start to really feel the burn with a WHM's mana pool especially with pug groups. I love the challenge though.
    I don't know, the first time I did Brayflox, my manapool just disappeared into nothingness, and it was gone really fast, but I think that was because I was unprepared for it. Brayflox is a huge stepping stone compared to previous instances. Overall damage is suddenly going to be a lot higher, and if you're not prepared you're going to end up spamming Cure II.

The second time I did it, and every instance after that, I've been able to keep my mana over 80% for almost all the time, including Ifrit and Garuda HM. There is a lot more to a healer than meets the eye, and one of those more subtle things is being able to predict when damage will happen, and keeping an eye on buffs/debuffs.

Learn to predict when damage will happen, and start casting before it lands. You'll save a ton of mana when you figure it out.
    For higher levelled WHM's, I keep noticing everyone switches to spamming Medica II too, and you really shouldn't do that. Cast Medica II once and then use the regular Medica if you have to, because the regular Medica has a lower mana cost, and higher heal output and you can't apply the same HoT twice on the same targets. This will also help you save mana.

I think I just repeated what the OP said, but seriously... It needs repeating, because they are ridiculously common mistakes.

Deleted
    Surecast is pretty cool too, though you'll be getting it en route to Swiftcast anyway. Nothing sucks more than precasting a big AoE and having your Medica II interrupted.

Other than that and Swiftcast, I'm running Thunder for some solo damage, Virus for hot group debuffs and Eye for an Eye, because it's better than nothing. Ruin is awful for all cross-class opportunities and Physick is just a Cure with an uglier icon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashaela View Post
    I don't know, the first time I did Brayflox, my manapool just disappeared into nothingness, and it was gone really fast, but I think that was because I was unprepared for it. Brayflox is a huge stepping stone compared to previous instances. Overall damage is suddenly going to be a lot higher, and if you're not prepared you're going to end up spamming Cure II.

The second time I did it, and every instance after that, I've been able to keep my mana over 80% for almost all the time, including Ifrit and Garuda HM. There is a lot more to a healer than meets the eye, and one of those more subtle things is being able to predict when damage will happen, and keeping an eye on buffs/debuffs.

Learn to predict when damage will happen, and start casting before it lands. You'll save a ton of mana when you figure it out.
    For higher levelled WHM's, I keep noticing everyone switches to spamming Medica II too, and you really shouldn't do that. Cast Medica II once and then use the regular Medica if you have to, because the regular Medica has a lower mana cost, and higher heal output and you can't apply the same HoT twice on the same targets. This will also help you save mana.

I think I just repeated what the OP said, but seriously... It needs repeating, because they are ridiculously common mistakes.
    Yes, was one of the things I said, but thank you for repeating that =^.^=

As far as stats go, Piety gives a bit less than 8 mp/piety. Even if you pour all 30 bonus points into it, that's less than half a Cure 1 of mp. Straight MND will make your healing potency that much more effective, make Regen and Medica 2 even more of a fire-and-forget. Full MND also makes it easier to solo in Cleric stance, that bit extra damage from Holy, Stone 2, etc.

Stat wise for me, simply because I didn't have much to go on, I went basically with 1 Piety for every 2-3 mind. Its one of those things thats not an exact science nor is there really any stats to prove one over another. Usually after the main stats I go for spell speed or determination if I have the option.

As far as cross class abilities, I've pretty much only used Virus as a WHM, guess I need to start working on THM soon, which sucks cause I had no real plans to play it >.<

What's everyone's opinion on stoneskin?

I'm currently Lvl 49, soon to be 50. I know my main go-to's will be Cure/Cure2 + Medica2/Medica + Regen. As of right now though I'm using Stoneskin+Regen with Cure/Cure2/Medica as fillers when needed in quite a lot of dungeons and duties (all of them now at this point). I basically don't have to cast much, if ever.

I'm just curious to see if stoneskin is viable as something to keep up, or is it mostly just filler for downtimes to help smooth healing out.

Does magic damage portion of weapon boosts WHM's healing potency?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrubbles View Post
    What's everyone's opinion on stoneskin?

I'm currently Lvl 49, soon to be 50. I know my main go-to's will be Cure/Cure2 + Medica2/Medica + Regen. As of right now though I'm using Stoneskin+Regen with Cure/Cure2/Medica as fillers when needed in quite a lot of dungeons and duties (all of them now at this point). I basically don't have to cast much, if ever.

I'm just curious to see if stoneskin is viable as something to keep up, or is it mostly just filler for downtimes to help smooth healing out.
    The way I'm using it is to apply it to everyone before the fight starts, if nothing else just to give me that bit of extra time not to need to do anything while everyone sets up. Past that if I have the mana and time I will re-apply it to the DPS and myself if I know something is coming where someone may get hit but probably shouldn't.

I finally got Holy and that made grinding fates tolerable. Went from 45 to 48 in a couple of hours
    Last edited by manybadgers; 2013-09-17 at 07:08 PM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashaela View Post

I've learned enough from healing in WoW (I'm not normally a healer though) to avoid the common mistakes mentioned; I certainly don't spam Cure II or Medica, but I do have trouble keeping up mana during the Titan fight (I'm only up to there in the story - little slow I know :P). I've done the fight about 10 times by now, and the best I could manage was finishing with about 20% mana. How the hell are you keeping above 80%??? I don't find it a particularly stressful fight, at least not compared to Brayflox, but it just seems like a fight that drains every point of mana I have.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think Ive had mana problems ever since I picked up Stoneskin but I'm that healer that has Fluid Aura/Repose Macroed so that my tank is only fighting 1 or 2 mobs at a time in a PuG. I use Stoneskin/Regen and pretty much sit there waiting for Stoneskin to drop off and then I reapply it. Have yet to encounter a boss fight pre-50 that taxed my mana at all. In Daezmael Darkhold (2nd Boss) I heal strictly on Regen during the Firewater phase and Stoneskin everyone during the Boulderdash Phase - Almost always walk away with 1/2 - 3/4 mana but I do use Shroud in the middle of the Fight. I think the OOM problem comes from the other MMO Mentality that everyone needs to be topped off at all times...They don't. It's easier to throw Regen on your DPS and let them heal themselves up over time than to hit them with Cure spam or Medica. Proper CD management is also a good way to keep your mana up...and if you're still having issues it's perfectly OK to use an Ether most beneficial to your level.

Deleted
    Just for those that don't know, in the targeting settings, you can turn off the setting which makes you face whoever you are casting a heal on. Makes it a lot easier to move about, like healing somebody who is behind you without looking allowing you to move more freely out of stuff. Unfortunately, you have to face a mob to dps it now instead of auto facing it.... but you soon get used to it.

Anyone doing damage in down time if they are efficient with mana to help the group; or do you play it safe and just /tap your foot when you can afford to have some time between casts?

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkeeee View Post
    Just for those that don't know, in the targeting settings, you can turn off the setting which makes you face whoever you are casting a heal on. Makes it a lot easier to move about, like healing somebody who is behind you without looking allowing you to move more freely out of stuff. Unfortunately, you have to face a mob to dps it now instead of auto facing it.... but you soon get used to it.
    turn it off and press F before casting any offensive spell is what I do.
    Quote Originally Posted by CandyCotton Marshmallows View Post
    Anyone doing damage in down time if they are efficient with mana to help the group; or do you play it safe and just /tap your foot when you can afford to have some time between casts?
    my DPS is meager anyways, so why bother?

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CandyCotton Marshmallows View Post
    I did that very often in the dungeons before Brayflox; switch to Cleric stance and just have at it. However, during my first time through Brayflox (I'm always cautious at first) I figured from the pressure certain pulls were putting on my MP that I couldn't do it as often. I still do from time to time if I'm very sure I can spare the seconds it takes to turn on Cleric, get at least an aero and a Stone II in, and switch back to normal healer mode. I definitely don't help during boss fights anymore though, some of the fights can turn nasty real quick and thus mana draining very suddenly if anyone makes a mistake so I keep every ounce of MP I can for heals.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by manybadgers View Post
    I finally got Holy and that made grinding fates tolerable. Went from 45 to 48 in a couple of hours
    Where did you FATE grind?

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkeeee View Post
    Where did you FATE grind?
    Mor Dhona, hit 50 last night. Last level takes like 2 1/2 hours. Had rested xp and food buff. I don't think fates consume rested xp so if you have a little it should last you.