Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrathius View Post
    Varian and Jaina's models are from WotLK. Thrall's and Garrosh's are from Cata (and Garrosh's was updated in MoP for the raid) and the Pandaren are obviously from MoP too. So of course they're going to look comparatively bad.
    Isn't Jaina's model from the end of Cata?

Quote Originally Posted by budong View Post
    Thrall is an entirely new model, I think Varian is still based on the old human one [...]
    It actually uses the Lich King's skeleton.

The old models stuck out like a sore thumb against the new models...Thrall and Vol'jin looked good (Vol'jin in particular looked awesome imo), but Gallywix, Baine, Jaina and Varian looked...not so awesome. Hopefully those new character models are coming along...

Quote Originally Posted by budong View Post
    Off topic, you ever wonder if Metzen has internal conflict discussions with himself in Thrall and Varian's voices? Metzen to frightened Ihop waitress "Varian: Hmm...I think I'll have pancakes for breakfast today, wait..Thrall: I've changed my mind, I will have waffles...WITH BACON!"
    Haha! I seriously hope he does this, because it was the best mental picture ever

Quote Originally Posted by Kaniinchen View Post
    Varian looks so awkward in the cinematic, made me cringe.

It made me think of those terrible Hyenas, which looked like shit even when the game was released.
    Imagine if Baine had lines in the cinematic. Imagine how they'd struggle to make the male tauren face look anything but a 2D mess.

Deleted
    The state of Baine shows two things. How little he matters to current events and that Tauren are likely to be one of the last model updates. They are the only ones who have had no iterations whatsoever when it comes to prominent NPCs (Blood Elves and Draenei,ugly as they are, are still newer than Tauren).

To me, Varian looks way too much like the Lich King model. Jaina looks like a human with a custom face. In fact she looks worse than the original WOTLK remodel of her for 3.3. The real monstrosity, though, that's Anduin.

As Turpster put it on this week's The Instance; he looks like Bender from Futurama in human form.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerousBacon View Post
    It was pretty bad how obvious the skintight armor was on him too. Lots of distortion in the torso when he was turning around and stuff.

I bet he feels like he's wearing nothing at all!
    Nothing at all!
    Nothing at all!
    *shudders*
    Stupid sexy Varian.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

Quote Originally Posted by Nungamunch View Post
    The state of Baine shows two things. How little he matters to current events and that Tauren are likely to be one of the last model updates. They are the only ones who have had no iterations whatsoever when it comes to prominent NPCs (Blood Elves and Draenei,ugly as they are, are still newer than Tauren).
    As a Tauren player this makes me sad, especially because I know it's true. Though I do want to say that Undeads never had a proper model update either, since Sylvanas is just a Blood Elf.

As for Varian, I don't think it's too bad, in fact I didn't notice anything with him. Anduin though? Eeeewww!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfKnees View Post
    As a Tauren player this makes me sad, especially because I know it's true. Though I do want to say that Undeads never had a proper model update either, since Sylvanas is just a Blood Elf.

As for Varian, I don't think it's too bad, in fact I didn't notice anything with him. Anduin though? Eeeewww!
    Anduin just looks ugly, they should give him long hair and a beard.

Yep, old model gives such terrible results, painful to look at him.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
    In fairness, his concept art sorta..

He's sort of a dweeb.

Looked great to me with the improved animations. Same goes for everyone, even if some still looked a bit meh, like Jaina and Anduin.

Deleted
    Well he is after all human.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicGuitars View Post

He's sort of a dweeb.
    He looks like a 35 year old. How old is he supposed to be lore wise now?

Imagine if Baine had lines in the cinematic. Imagine how they'd struggle to make the male tauren face look anything but a 2D mess.

<snip>
    /shudders...its best that he did nothing at all then. Out of all the races though I am (surprisingly) mostly looking forward to seeing the new Tauren char updates.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
    He looks like the young Nick Carter from the Backstreet Boys. Although I can't wait for him to get long hair and/or beard, he's unfortunately still too young to even grow one (15 I think?). They should just change his face though in the mean time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfKnees View Post

I hadn't thought about the Undead that way. Although if they got rid of the tears and holes in gear or just made it a selectable cosmetic I'm much happier with their original design than I am with how Tauren look now.

I just can't think of where they'd start with improving the Tauren model besides making it more high res. I think that's the difficulty. With most of the other races you have a starting point (previous iterations or poorly received elements - like human cleft faces) with Tauren, it's starting from scratch. I doubt they're beyond sketches for them, if they've even started with Tauren concepts at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaniinchen View Post
    /shudders...its best that he did nothing at all then. Out of all the races though I am (surprisingly) mostly looking forward to seeing the new Tauren char updates.

He looks like the young Nick Carter from the Backstreet Boys. Although I can't wait for him to get long hair and/or beard, he's unfortunately still too young to even grow one (15 I think?). They should just change his face though in the mean time.
    WORD I need a new tauren model so I can finally play a tauren again! XD.

Im so glad baine did not feature in the cinematic much it would have been awful.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because Thrall + Pandaren have a nice quality model that can animate well
    Varian/Jaina? lolno cant be bothered updating that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nungamunch View Post
    I hadn't thought about the Undead that way. Although if they got rid of the tears and holes in gear or just made it a selectable cosmetic I'm much happier with their original design than I am with how Tauren look now.

I just can't think of where they'd start with improving the Tauren model besides making it more high res. I think that's the difficulty. With most of the other races you have a starting point (previous iterations or poorly received elements - like human cleft faces) with Tauren, it's starting from scratch. I doubt they're beyond sketches for them, if they've even started with Tauren concepts at all.
    Tauren need more interior work, their profile is fine but many of their features are flat skins. If their faces were rebuilt to include complex architecture that would go a long way to fixing it. Then there's issues like the low polycount in profile areas like their shoulders that make them look really blocky.

Fur would be nice too, imagine logging on and finding a nice cuddly tauren. Now imagine it with pants on you sicko.

Even if they couldn't do proper fur without killing their ancient graphics engine, it would be nice if they had some sort of improved material effect for furry monsters.

He's sort of a dweeb.
    Lol Ben Affleck

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought he looked more refined than anyone, save maybe Jaina.

Baine's the one who needs a new model. They had the grace to hide how awkward Gallywix looks by diverting attention to his killer top hat. And Lor'themar? What was with that awkward pose? >.<