Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Difference between tanks

Hello champs,

I was wondering what is the difference between the 2 tanks available in the game? I know Warrior tanks with a 2h and Paladin is more of a classic tank with 1h and shield. But is for example one better in AoE tanking or something? Hope somebody can shine some light on this. Because as soon as I start my "alt" job/class I would like to make it a tank.

Cheers in advance

Very basic comparison:
    Paladin is the classic Boss Tank with all that damage reduction and mostly single target abilities. Warrior has more HP but less damage reduction and deals a lot more TpS both single target and AoE. Paladins have superior ressource management.

Having a WHM Healer works well with a WAR and on the other hand the SCH and PLD work well together.

If you want to know the classic roles the 2 tanks excel at:
    Paladin - Single Target Main Tank
    Warrior - High TpS Off Tank

(Hint: This does not mean they can't switch roles, it's just what their toolkit looks like)

Quote Originally Posted by Passmeister View Post
    Hello champs,

I was wondering what is the difference between the 2 tanks available in the game? I know Warrior tanks with a 2h and Paladin is more of a classic tank with 1h and shield. But is for example one better in AoE tanking or something? Hope somebody can shine some light on this. Because as soon as I start my "alt" job/class I would like to make it a tank.

Cheers in advance
    There is a really nice tpoic about this on ffxivguild.com here is the link for you, its worth the read an explains all this. ffxivguild.com/a-realm-reborn-warrior-v-paladin-tanking-guide

Hope this helps.

Deleted
    I thank the both of thee for taking the time to answer me, thanks for all the info ^^

I really want a warr tank. But are palas preferred over warrs for dungeons and coil etc? I remember leveling my monk tank in wow, no one wud take me so i was forced to go dps. How is it in FFIXV?

Having one of each is mostly recommended, so don't worry about availability.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly play the one that appeals to you more since the game is still growing; it's not very clear cut which is superior at this point in the game.
    However, it seems that people seem to favor paladin tanks over warriors but I have no factual evidence to back that up.

Deleted
    The guide you posted is outdated. It is based on Beta Phase 3 information, that has drastically changed in P4 and Early Access/release. And even for P3 there is wrong information in it xD

I wrote a guide during Phase 3 and updated it for Release and currently still updating/adding more things over time as I find the time to do it.

It has no WAR vs PLD topic, as I personally think you should always play whatever suits you the best and is the most fun for you.
    But I plan on adding a WAR vs PLD comparison in it in the future.

What I can tell you from my own experience and the overall "opinions" from other Endgame FCs that are running Coil is, that most FCs prefer PLD over WAR right now, as it just makes the overall Boss fights more "reliably" healable and smooth. But I know FCs who at least managed to get to Turn 5 with a WAR/PLD tank combo, so its not impossible. A lot of people just prefer PLD.

My guide is not just for the tanking classes, but for tanking in general in this game. Meaning enmity description, how its calculated, UI layouts, Skill Analysis, Skill Rotations etc. Feel free to leave any feedback

PS: As I am not allowed to post any links til I posted a few times, just google "Daeva of War tank analysis". It's the first link that shows up.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hear paladins are the go-to tank for the high-end content right now. Easier to heal, and supposedly better threat generation as well, probably due to the burst of threat Fight or Flight can provide.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    I hear paladins are the go-to tank for the high-end content right now. Easier to heal, and supposedly better threat generation as well, probably due to the burst of threat Fight or Flight can provide.
    Enmity generation on WAR is better than on PLD. This is due to both of their main enmity combo having the same multipliers, but WARs dealing a higher amount of damage with these combos. Plus WARs rely a lot on critical hits, and critical hits have an extra enmity multiplier.

The difference lategame is mainly the paladin skill Shield Oath and the warrior skill Defiance. Shield Oath decreases damage recieved with 20% while Defiance increases HP with 25%. With the way damage is distributed during raids Shield Oath is generally more useful thus Paladin is stronger boss tanks at the moment.

Granted, I have no real idea how WAR nor PLD play, though I have an idea from my MRD/GLA, and I very much prefer the MRD playstyle. Actually being able to solo stuff in a reasonable amount of time without having to bust out the Chocobo for pocket heals & a bit of DPS is nice.

Plus, what self-respecting tank is going to run around with a dagger and a shield? Sheesh. Trading in a badass Macahuitl for a piddly dagger after my L15 GLA quest

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mstieler View Post
    Granted, I have no real idea how WAR nor PLD play, though I have an idea from my MRD/GLA, and I very much prefer the MRD playstyle. Actually being able to solo stuff in a reasonable amount of time without having to bust out the Chocobo for pocket heals & a bit of DPS is nice.

Plus, what self-respecting tank is going to run around with a dagger and a shield? Sheesh. Trading in a badass Macahuitl for a piddly dagger after my L15 GLA quest
    No real tank hides behind a shield. Real tanks take it in the face and begs for more!!!

That's what my Miqo'te says.
    You cared enough to post.

I’m playing Warrior right now (45) it is a fun playstyle for leveling and instancing with my WHM wife. However, the design of the class is going to pigeon hold it into a specific niche as a AoE tank and great self healing offtank. Warriors will be viable for doing hard boss encounters but everything being equal the preference will always be to bring a PLD due to the % dmg taken modifiers a PLD has in its arsenal it will always have the edge in smooth damage intake. Smoothing out the damage intake makes healing easier, reduces overheal (a potential issue with WAR self healing).

I’m leveling my GLD right now to have both a WAR and PLD in my repertoire at 50. Leveling GLD is painful after playing MRD for so long, I dislike the playstyle immensely but know that to be well rounded I should have both souls available.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Most players I've talked to that have actually stepped in to Coil have said that Warriors just aren't holding up as well as Pallies. Be that due to scaling issues, the nature of the incoming damage, or Pallies style of mitigation, I can't say.
    This is due to WARs being designed as high HP tanks but they have no mechanic that lessens damage taken. Its like they were designed as a Bear Tank Druid without the higher armor values.

Theres is ALOT of wrong information being posted here. Honestly if you guys don't know the answer don't go throwing out your guesses as information.

Paladin -

HIGHER single target threat, very legit aoe threat, passive 20% damage reduction with a 20% reduction in their own damage, and enough defencive cooldowns to have them always up. Have access to cure and protect.... cure is useless higher up because it wont scale with you, and your healers protect will always be better.

Warrior -

Although the paladin has the higher single target threat the warrior does more damage just produces less enmity. Again on the aoe the paladin can compete with the warrior on aoe enmity but the warrior puts out far more damage to them. Passive 20% more health with the same damage reduction, however warriors have a way to loophole this and not have it effect them. They also have abilities the restore health.

Right now Paladins are the better tank, thats just how it is. Warriors are the better "hybrid" right now. I'm not calling warriors unviable but they have a few shortcommings which will effect them in a raid environment.

Yeah, I am only 30 on both PLD/WAR but even at this low level I can pretty easily see that PLD has a lot more mitigation tools available to it so it takes less damage, while WAR is going to take more damage but can do more (a lot more, to be honest) and also has a massive HP pool and self heals.

It's kind of like blood DK vs prot warrior in WOW. Personally I prefer WAR but I will try to level both, even though my free company really mostly just needs a high level WAR.

One thing people said in 1.0 is that WAR wound up being the better endgame tank when people were in like BIS gear, due to catching up on survivability/all fights being manageable but WAR doing a lot more damage and being easier to heal at those higher gear levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Omgarsh View Post
    Yeah, I am only 30 on both PLD/WAR but even at this low level I can pretty easily see that PLD has a lot more mitigation tools available to it so it takes less damage, while WAR is going to take more damage but can do more (a lot more, to be honest) and also has a massive HP pool and self heals.

It's kind of like blood DK vs prot warrior in WOW. Personally I prefer WAR but I will try to level both, even though my free company really mostly just needs a high level WAR.

One thing people said in 1.0 is that WAR wound up being the better endgame tank when people were in like BIS gear, due to catching up on survivability/all fights being manageable but WAR doing a lot more damage and being easier to heal at those higher gear levels.
    They also had alot more aoe skills to use making them push out that much damage. I do agree though that once the group outgears the content its going to be warrior central.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravex View Post
    Theres is ALOT of wrong information being posted here. Honestly if you guys don't know the answer don't go throwing out your guesses as information.
    Dont go spouting things like this. On 50 Warriors have higher enmity than Paladins (both single and multi target) except in really really long fights.

The most important aspects are: Defense vs HP, 30 sec cd stun vs 2.5 sec cd stun (high TP cost) and 10 seconds of invulnerability.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillpapps View Post
    Dont go spouting things like this. On 50 Warriors have higher enmity than Paladins (both single and multi target) except in really really long fights.

The most important aspects are: Defense vs HP, 30 sec cd stun vs 2.5 sec cd stun (high TP cost) and 10 seconds of invulnerability.
    Don't start something. No warriors don't have better single target threat.

Sure, lets take like 4 abilities of them total and make a comparison on that. That makes sence.

Scenerio

Op: What color is the color Red?
    Post - Orange
    Post - Blue
    Post - Pink!

I never said everyone is wrong, but yes there is alot of wrong information that people are tossing around.
    Last edited by Ravex; 2013-09-16 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Yeah, I'm sure something will change in terms of balance in regards to the tanks.

I guess someone could argue that "more survivability" and "more damage" would let people fill roles differently or something, but it seems like it'd just result in, "We bring Pallies for progression and Warriors for farm."
    I'm sure in a friendly or casual FC this wont be a problem, just in the upper tier of raiders. Considering that if you are in an upper tier, you will ahve both leveled and want to use 1 or the other.