Bring me up to speed - been gone since cata

Hi all,

So I've been gone since firelands was still current content, and am looking into the possibility of getting back into wow again.

I was hoping some of the kind players who roam these boards would do me a favour and get me a little bit up to speed on what some of the major changes are and what notable things I should be clued in on. Mainly along the lines of things like raid finder / flexible raids that I've just now seen pop up on occasion in chat. The basics of what it's like to be a monk as a class. Not sure what specifics I can really ask for - I guess just try to explain some of the wow changes to someone who's been gone since firelands.

Thanks in advance.

You should do the 7 day trial, good for another couple of days. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/720...roth-9_12_2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Zdrasti View Post
    When a homeless person is rambling in the streets, it's better to ignore them than argue with them. On the internets it's clearly better to spend an entire week proving them wrong.

Even more free epics, even easier difficulty in pve, more comfort functions. WoW keeps going the way it has been going since the start of burning crusade. At some point people will get epics in mail just for logging in.

On the other hand they introduced more stuff to occupy you, pet battles, transmogrify etc
    Ecce homo ergo elk

Quote Originally Posted by Auloria View Post
    You should do the 7 day trial, good for another couple of days. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/720...roth-9_12_2012

would this make me ineligible for a scroll of resurrection?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronyx View Post
    Hi all,

So I've been gone since firelands was still current content, and am looking into the possibility of getting back into wow again.

I was hoping some of the kind players who roam these boards would do me a favour and get me a little bit up to speed on what some of the major changes are and what notable things I should be clued in on. Mainly along the lines of things like raid finder / flexible raids that I've just now seen pop up on occasion in chat. The basics of what it's like to be a monk as a class. Not sure what specifics I can really ask for - I guess just try to explain some of the wow changes to someone who's been gone since firelands.

Thanks in advance.
    Read the forums and the patchnotes?

Quote Originally Posted by Twoflower View Post
    At some point people will get epics in mail just for logging in.
    Nope.

Just do the free trial. WoW is the same as ever, just with more to do and more people complaining on the forums.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Twoflower View Post
    Even more free epics, even easier difficulty in pve
    So I take it you cleared all the heroic content the week it's been released. No? You haven't done any of it? Wow, that's a big suprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Crysthalica View Post
    So I take it you cleared all the heroic content the week it's been released. No? You haven't done any of it? Wow, that's a big suprise.
    I am talking about an average, not the expansions final boss on heroic.

Your argument is invalid. Oh and moronic, too.

Keep it civil
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2013-09-16 at 02:25 PM.
    Ecce homo ergo elk

Raid Finder, Flex Raiding, Transmogrifying, Pet Battles and Scenarios are the big things I can think of that have been implemented since.

Raid Finder is essentially just super easy versions of raids. The raids are 25-man, and they're a nice way just getting to know the battles and see the raid, but they're also incredibly easy, so best be prepared for that. The odd thing here might be the new loot system: Essentially you don't roll against other people to get loot, you make a personal roll which determines whether you get loot or not, if you get loot then it'll automatically be itemized to match whatever spec you have queued up as.

Can't tell you much about Flex Raiding, haven't tried it out and I have no idea how it functions either.

Transmogrifying is all about visuals. You can make the armor you wear look like other armor you own. I'm running around in a mix of Tier 1 and 2. It's a lot of fun if you're into this kind of thing.

Pet Battles is something you can use your non-combat pets for. It has been compared to Pokémon a lot, and I'd lie if I said it isn't very much like Pokémon. You basically use the pets you have collected to battle other people's pets or wild pets in a RPG environment. It's a fun little time-waster, but nothing more than that.

Scenarios are like multi-part quests in a way. You get thrown into an instanced zone where you have to complete certain objectives, usually ending with having to take down a boss. You're usually 3 people doing this. There's also Heroic versions of them.

World Bosses have also returned, though in a bit different way. You don't have to be in a group to get loot from them, they're faction tagged. They use a loot system very similar to LFR.

Other than that there's still all the old stuff. Heroics Dungeons are incredibly easy sadly, feels like Raid Finder has replaced them. Normal Raids are very much like the ones in Cata, and Heroic Raids are pretty top notch. There's something like 8 or 9 Heroics Dungeons, and there's 5 raids. The raids are big again: the first tier have 3 smaller raids which total 16 bosses in total (4 + 6 + 6.) The second tier has 12 bosses in one big citadel raid. The third and final tier has 14 bosses in one raid, the raid itself is Orgrimmar, though there's not nearly as much rehashed stuff as there was in Dragon Soul. On top of that there are 4 World Bosses that I know of, then there's one that's exclusive to players with the legendary cloak. There are also 4 other world bosses on top of that, though I'm not sure how they work. In short, there's plenty of PvE content.

That's what's been happening in short, there's maybe something that I'm forgetting.
    Last edited by wariofan1; 2013-09-16 at 02:46 PM.

would this make me ineligible for a scroll of resurrection?
    You would have to put in a ticket and have an annoying 48 hour debacle explaining to GMs how it's more financially beneficial to them to let you have your scroll, but no it doesn't make you ineligible. It will give you a headache though.

I haven't played since beginning of Cata and just came back a couple weeks ago to get ready for a new xpac. MoP isn't as hard as BC or as fun as early Wrath, but it's not terrible either.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfKnees View Post
    Raid Finder, Flex Raiding, Transmogrifying, Pet Battles and Scenarios are the big things I can think of that have been implemented since.[redacted]
    Thank you very much! Also - legendary cloak?!?

Yeah, there's a big and very long quest chain leading up to a Legendary Cloak specifically designed to whether you're a Tank, Healer or DPS.

The legendary cloak is at the end of a big quest chain that takes you trough all the raid instances if i remember correctly.
    Ecce homo ergo elk