Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Shiva is ace! I'm in a great Free company, lots of members. Enjoying this server alottt.

I'm excited. I've already noticed more people on my server, which means more people to grind Fates with. Keep 'em coming! Hopefully the servers are prepared for the influx this time.

Well, I just downloaded and installed it, and created a character.

The controls and graphics are so sluggish on my machine it's just about unplayable. worse than Rift. And I was hoping this would be a good WoW replacement. They seem to have fallen into the common (and fatal) trap of valuing graphic quality over smoothness of gameplay.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post

The controls and graphics are so sluggish on my machine it's just about unplayable. worse than Rift. And I was hoping this would be a good WoW replacement. They seem to have fallen into the common (and fatal) trap of valuing graphic quality over smoothness of gameplay.
    How old/crappy is your computer? And I mean no offense by this.

I ask because the minimum requirements for this game are actually fairly low for today's gaming standards. Unless you bump everything to ultra just because you can, ofcourse. My computer handles maxed out graphics better than it handles WoW. In WoW, my game tends to lag as hell when I get into hectic fights with spell details maxed out. But when I enter a Fate with about a bazillion Thaumaturges spamming their flashy spells etc, my game remains smooth as silk.

My computer handles FFXIV on ultra (highest setting) a lot smoother then wow. Truly. You shud update all ur dri ers and set everything as low as can be. If ur pc cant handle that i highly doubt it can handle wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyw View Post
    My computer handles FFXIV on ultra (highest setting) a lot smoother then wow. Truly. You shud update all ur dri ers and set everything as low as can be. If ur pc cant handle that i highly doubt it can handle wow.
    It handles WoW much more smoothly than it does FFXIV. Big disappointment.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Reavyn View Post
    How old/crappy is your computer? And I mean no offense by this.
    No offense taken.

AMD Phenom II X4 925 (2.8 GHz)
    8GB of RAM
    Windows 7 (64 bit)
    ATI Radeon HD 4350

I'm wondering if replacing the graphics card would be a good idea. Also, I'm wondering if they compiled the FFXIV client with Intel-specific optimization settings. I've heard that can lead to very bad performance on AMD CPUs in some inner loops.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler

- - - Updated - - -

No offense taken.

8GB of RAM
    Windows 7 (64 bit)
    ATI Radeon HD 4350

I'm wondering if replacing the graphics card would be a good idea. Also, I'm wondering if they compiled the FFXIV client with Intel-specific optimization settings. I've heard that can lead to very bad performance on AMD CPUs in some inner loops.
    I am no pc expert. but shudnt that rig be able play thegame at low settings at least? Something is very wrong. Wonder if its the amd causing some kind of conflict. I just know that if its able to play wow it shud br able to play ffxiv

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's an offer for 25% off! $22 for this game is a steal!

http://www.gadgetreview.com/2013/09/...er-hiatus.html
    Stationed at McGuire, AFB.
    PC Specs: i5-3570K, GTX 690, Gigabyte UD5H, Corsair Vengeance 8GB, Corsair AX750, H100i, Phantom 630 case, Asus VH236H

- - - Updated - - -

No offense taken.

8GB of RAM
    Windows 7 (64 bit)
    ATI Radeon HD 4350

I'd try different things ... update the gpu driver or roll back to a previous one. I had a problem with a driver with a different game (think SWtOR or Rift), the latest driver crashed my machine, I ended up going to a 6 mos old driver and it seemed to fix my issues.

Have you messed with specific settings? basics like turning down/off shadows, transparencies, AA/AS, etc. quite a few settings tweaks that may help if you haven't tried already.

I haven't run AMD in years, but even if its architecture is a bit behind, you still should be more than capable; if you are considering upgrading your GPU anyway it wouldn't hurt; your card is old enough to be discontinued and iirc, the 50 series is a budget version as well.

As a comparison; your card has 80 stream processors, the 6450 has 160. Yours has 512 MB, the 6450 has 1 GB. Yours memory clock is 800 MHz, 1334 for 6450. The 6450 is $35 (cheapest AMD GPU on newegg), though unless your budget limits you to that, I am not recommending it; just pointing out the leap in power from today's budget card compared to yours.

The budget one I'd recommend if sticking with AMD from a cursory glance is this 6570 for $50, it even has a $10 rebate card to make it $40/$45 with shipping It is 128 bit instead of 64, it has 480 processors. It would be a HUGE upgrade for minimal investment.

If you have a bigger budget than that (or even on a tight budget); hit up the computer sub sections of this site for much more apt members to assist you in the proper choice for your needs and price range

If not; then I hope through settings and driver adjustments, you can get it running smooth for you!!!

Oh, any programs running in background? Some Anti-virus programs can wreak havoc on certain games; anything else that might cause the issue like network load (someone downloading files on your network, especially those who torrent and set connections too high); or possibly another program running you may have not thought about?

CC: thanks for the card recommendations, I'll look into that.

I have tried turning the graphics settings down to minimum. FPS gets a bit better (lack of antialiasing makes stuff look bad though). Movement still feels terrible.

Here's hoping a card upgrade saves it.

I would seriously check out the PC boards here first; that was just a quick glance at newegg, and there are a lot of sites the power users here may be able to find an even better deal or power to dollar ratio for you. I just wanted to help is all ^_^

10+ Year Old Account
    Finally got my CE. Installed last night, will be playing tonight. Can't wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

I gotta agree that's odd. My computer handles WoW on pretty much everything at max (a few things I lower to high) and I'm running FF XIV on Standard settings with 60 fps. New video card will probably let me go to high, but have to wait to do that for the time being.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's hoping a card upgrade saves it.
    It should help, definitely. This game is heavy on shadows (which you cannot turn off) and lower-end cards have trouble with it. Although you will still notice spikes in heavily populated areas, like FATEs, with your processor.

Guess I can't pay for it with iDEAL D:

Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    It should help, definitely. This game is heavy on shadows (which you cannot turn off) and lower-end cards have trouble with it. Although you will still notice spikes in heavily populated areas, like FATEs, with your processor.
    There are controls to hide all the shadows. That helped, a little.

Quote Originally Posted by savethetuna View Post
    Here's an offer for 25% off! $22 for this game is a steal!

http://www.gadgetreview.com/2013/09/...er-hiatus.html
    Holy nuts, I think I'll jump on this.