PuG story thread

Remember kids, if you want this thread to have any chance to stay open, no name-calling, no bad language, etc. the nettiquette and forum rules still apply and will not be overlooked because "come on, it's a vent thread".

Thank you very much - The Moderators

Thought I'd start one of these up to keep the other threads clean. If you guys have been having experiences like mine in pugs, I think it will be put to good use.

Well for some I may come off as the bad guy in this but lets see.

Was my last run in AK before I left for the week, when you could do speed runs. I was the tank, had a healer and DD with my, just had to pug 1, it was late.

Go in, ended up being a monk with af gear, check him out 40ish weapons normal af gear and 40ish offpieces. My dd was pretty geared so it didn't much matter to me he just had to do his own part. I'm not one of those people that expects people to have "level 90 gear to do level 70 content"

I honestly don't ask if people are new to the place off the bat because usually I will notice right away, and the other 95% of the time people wotn speak up when they are. I swear they think there is a boot option so they need to keep their mouths shut.

So we get ready for the first run all group up, protect, stoneskin. He didn't seem to be lagging behind so it looks like hes been here before.

Start my run, instantly this guy

him -"WTF TANK I HAVE THREAT STOP"
    me- "Just keep running with the group"
    him- "NO COME BACK"

He dies, we all get ourselves killed to be at the start again to do the run, before I can explain whats going on he starts a rant about how I'm an idiot for assuming he would know what to do, why we would even run, and that I am just bad in general. Ending with a big "Fuck you" directed at me.

I get a little pissed at this, tell him in the 30 second window at the start he should of let us know he was new, maybe look up a guide to a dungeon that hes never been to. I know i know, god forbid people having a slight idea what they are doing their first time though a place like I have to all the time since I'm a tank. Then said flat out "Fuck me? Have fun waiting for another que."

He proceeds to tell me to get the Fuck out then. While my group and I open up netflix and watch something waiting for him to leave, which took about half an hour of no one moving for him to get the hint. Get another DD, and go smoothly through the instance.

Maybe we should of left, but in this case the guy was an asshat and I would be much happier with him quitting the game then actually gearing up. Probably makes me an ass, but thats my view.
    Last edited by Nyanmaru; 2013-09-16 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I haven't had a bad run yet, but then I'm only level 25.

There was one run I ended up quitting before we even got started, because the first thing that popped up in chat was the healer going on about how I'd better not suck at tanking and all tanks suck at tanking and he's sick of us tanks and so before we start I'd better tell him if I suck or not.

I wasn't about to sit through a whole run of that, so just commented that, "We haven't even pulled one mob and you're bitching already..." and left. (That's how I found how there's a 15 minute deserter thing!)
    Amen, as much as people like to complain about the ego of tanks in mmos, there are plenty of high and mighty healers thinking they are gods gift.

Also haven't had a bad run yet. Some runs were a tad less smooth than others, but that usually sorted itself out after the first few packs and everyone knew what to do or someone simply asked the tank to mark at least the first mob. Seriously, the marking system in this game is delicious. It blocks out so much stupidity and is extremely simple to use (compared to having to use addons or can only reliably mark before a fight starts in certain other mmos).

Up till now, I've found pugs in this game infinitely more enjoyable than the ones in WoW. People actually ask for tactics before bosses, seem to listen when you give them some advice and generally don't do stupid stuff. The only complaint I have is something that'll most likely never stop in pugs regardless of the mmo; a lot of people seem to be mute and refuse to type anything in chat beyond 'kk' and 'r'.

(That's how I found how there's a 15 minute deserter thing!)
    Heh, didn't know that. You learn something new every day.

Deleted
    the only bad runs i get personally are from people who have issues when a player who does a instance for the first time is watching cut scenes, had a praetorium run, first time via quest, we got it cleared mind you, a tank was bitching at me for doing so, just told him to chill and he needs more patience, but he was having non of it, asked him what the rush was, he failed to answer this interestingly enough, but his bad attitude was still foul enough, and my healer buddy just didnt heal him, and let him die after his response of, you are just a dps so you dont matter, all i have to say, this kind of attitude is ripe in this game actually, its more common then it seems.

so, his response was to AFK the whole instance after the first boss, he prob hoped we as a group would fail, but even though half the group was new, we still one shotted the bosses to clear with 1 tank

I have had so many terrible pugs leveling up that I have to post some of them. My wife and I Tank/Healer combo usually try to grab people from our server and have met a few good players that we’ve friended. However, we usually run each instance a few times just cause we enjoy instancing and its pretty fun (and a decent challenge) in FF14 so we have to duty finder Pug at least half the time.

Lowby dungeons weren’t that bad but once we got into the 30s the PuGs just got terrible all of a sudden.

Had a 32 Dragoon who didn’t know what limit break was in Brayflox, who also liked to run into groups and pull stuff.

Had several bad pugs in Sunken Temple who couldn’t make it past the first boss. Namely couldn’t understand that Bees needed to be DPSd and to step on the plates during doom.
    Wiped on the first boss for almost 90 minutes throughout a few different PuG groups.
    When I finally got through the last boss in Qarn I felt like I beat the game, I think it was the 4th PuG and we had a terrible monk but the Bard was awesome and carried the DPS.

Last night in Stone Vigil we had a DRG and a BLM who were a couple of winners. BLM (who said he ran it many many times) liked to run ahead and pull mobs “by accident” even the hidden packs of ice sprites. When asked to CC he would just run in and facepull an entire room. And he didn’t know the meaning of throttle damage he would just lay into stuff on some of the bigger pulls, his DPS seemed to carry us though so its hard to fault him for that.

The DRG was doing less DPS than me the tank (not sure if thats bad but seems it) didn’t understand that the mob marked 1 meant it was first target and that dragons (in almost every game ever) have a frontal attack. Even after this stuff was explained they still stood in the icy void zone on the last boss and then released (/sigh). The BLM died in on the air phase as well but seemed to die to the AoE every time he ressed.

My wife and I finished the dragon off from 30% to dead and it took probly 10 minutes to do. The DRG who was standing outside the sealed entrance for around 15 minutes moseys in and grabs the DRG weapon that dropped and leaves immediately.

LOL.

Out of all these terrible PuGs only the BLM actually typed and responded like a normal person would. I am beginning to think that the others were all just terrible in general or were using a gamepad? How does typing work for gamepad users? When people don't talk in instances im starting to just assume they're PS3 players. And Ive run into more bad quiet players than good unfortunately, a stereotype is brewing in my head that I'm trying to fight off.

I have had good PuGs as well but generally the bad ones stick out, and I go over all boss mechanics (if I know them) before pulling.
    Last edited by jearle; 2013-09-16 at 05:38 PM.

Deleted
    i can deal with players who arent good but this is in terms of being new, and not in anyway pro with their class, its always attitude to me, im always willing to give a helping hand if they want me to, having a nice group even not completing an instance is fine by me, cos thats not stressful for me in any way, bad attitude is, and the feeling that im even in a indirect way helping them sickens me, i dont wish for any success to these players and i dont want to help them, they dont deserve it

15+ Year Old Account
    I still marvel over the mid 30 GLD who didn't have PLD yet (not that big of deal) and insisted that "I'm a GLD, I can only tank one mob at a time" after the group complained that we were tanking more than he was.

On the upside once we explained how to tank to him he actually started doing better.

Bad players always tend to stick out more than good. It seems to be a human trait to focus on the negative for whatever reason Sad that irritation is more memorable than joy :/

I think patience, politeness, and helpfulness goes a long way for both bad and rude players. The rude ones get annoyed when they can't get to you, and the bad players either improve or remain in ignorance.

Blacklisting bad players and adding good players to your friend list is old school MMO server community building I wouldn't mind getting good enough in the game to help people.

I've had no bad groups yet though, thankfully. No bad attitudes and most people tried even if they didn't know what they were doing ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by CandyCotton Marshmallows View Post
    Blacklisting bad players and adding good players to your friend list is old school MMO server community building I wouldn't mind getting good enough in the game to help people.
    I don't have any room on my blacklist for actual players right now, the spammers have almost filled it up it seems.

I am usually pretty patient, but these instances are not faceroll easy like some MMOs. People have to do their jobs and follow directions to be successful especially when at appropriate or undergeared levels.

I kinda blame the devs for forcing people that want to play through the story to do the instances, they may not have any idea how instancing works in an MMO or what is going on and just want to progress the single player version of the game.

Only tank I've seen rage quit was during Sunken Temple. First the bees and then he wouldn't run to the lit up square. We explained everything but he continue not moving at all.

Deleted
    Had a Cutter's Cry run not too long ago with a... peculiar pair of tank and healer.

The tank didn't bother aggroing anything other than the one mob he had marked, thus the healer ended up tanking two of the mobs most of the time. Poor girl dies, the tank quickly follows as well, we all die. They then begin volleying insults at each other throughout the instance, claiming the titles of world's worst healer/tank and so on. I politely suggest to our healer to use Repose to sleep at least one of the mobs, but claims it's one GCD too many and calls me a moron. Ended up with me having to cast Tri-Disaster (AoE bind/root) on every pull to keep the White Mage alive. <_<

They both then proceed to die on the Chimera within half a minute, but thankfully our Bard was amazing and we kited it around until it died horribly and we lived happily ever after. And hopefully that White Mage and Paladin were eaten by bears.

AK run. Was supposed to be a quick ~40 minute run. Two DPS from within my Free Company tag along. Turns out one of the DPS was badly under-geared. We kept wiping through the instance, namely on bosses. We BARELY got Demonwall. We also wiped, twice, at about less than 15% on the last boss in AK with all four statues gone.

Me and the tank basically gave up and left with about 11 minutes on the clock.

So...reading this...and being newly level 45...on Gilgamesh...if anyone wants to help me out with stuff, I won't say no. In-game as Vivain Bochrono. Yet to do DD or even Cutter's Cry, hahaha (prob skip that one). Also maybe looking for a fun FC (I'm pretty casual).

To share a short story, I was in Stone Vigil for the first time as a WHM. Seemed to be going fine, except, you know, the initial me pulling threat on every encounter with one heal (I'm pretty sure I waited long enough in order for the tank to get enough aggro...). Anyway, we wipe maybe 10 times total on just trash mobs, because there was no threat generation somehow. First boss was a couple wipes, one I admit I didn't know I had to run all the way behind the boss but picked it up very easily afterward. But, the tank didn't, but we pushed through. Second boss was okay, since my friend was on Canon duty...though somehow the other DPS was taking so much damage in tornadoes. Oh well, pretty easy relative to trash. Final boss...actually, the pull before the last boss. Hilarious. I get aggro on two of them and run maybe halfway back through the dungeon (sprint was used twice I think), then ran BACK after they killed that one and the tank took another. Then I somehow just circled, kept up regen, and healed whenever the one on me AoE targeted. Fun indeed. The last boss, needless to say, killed us. Tank actually RAN INTO the ice field when it spawned, as if he didn't see it. So naturally my mana burned too fast every time, and I was OOM with its HP at 1/3 to 1/2. Good times, definitely stresses a healer to the limit. I do like being the saving grace of a party, but not when we don't finish. xD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jearle View Post
    I kinda blame the devs for forcing people that want to play through the story to do the instances, they may not have any idea how instancing works in an MMO or what is going on and just want to progress the single player version of the game.
    Amen. After the 10+ wipes in Titan, due to a tank that couldn't hold aggro, or move out of the smash, i am not looking foward to doing Stone Vigil, which i just got.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Haven't really had a really screwed run (probably because I'm only lvl 33 on my highest char), but worst so far was probably a fight in Toto-Rak where the floor is electrified. I hadn't known this, and moving to a safe spot from where I was ended up my letting one of the DPS (who didn't figure at all about the floor -_-) die; I was the Conjurer.

Tank died shortly after through a combination of things; standing on the floor, taking the boss' skills straight up and not picking up the adds during their spawn phase so I was getting interrupted and had to focus on healing myself. I thought we were gonna wipe, but just kept healing myself and the remaining THM. Slowly but surely, we burned down the adds and boss' HP (well, he burned and I "taunted" with Medica) and ended up beating the fight from about half HP on boss.

All in all, not that bad an experience after hearing some of the stuff that goes on in higher dungeons and the hardmodes, but I suppose I'll have plenty of time to experience those... :P