Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Speculation] Character models 25% complete... or maybe not just characters?

Now I had this is my mind for some time but, what makes me think, is that this whole 25% complete character models seems very... strange to me.

I can understand it considering it took them around 4 months to do male and female Pandaren, so, if Worgen and Goblin are included, it should take about 48 months to do. Considering they started around two years ago (so some are saying), then they should be about half way done, right?

Perhaps it's not just for characters? Maybe they're aiming to replace every NPC that has a playable race model with the new model? Maybe we'll see some updated blood elves in Black Temple, and updated night elves in Teldrassil. I'd like to see updated Orcs, tauren and others walking around Orgrimmar, too.

So, what are your thoughts on this?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyviroth View Post
    Perhaps it's not just for characters? Maybe they're aiming to replace every NPC that has a playable race model with the new model? Maybe we'll see some updated blood elves in Black Temple, and updated night elves in Teldrassil. I'd like to see updated Orcs, tauren and others walking around Orgrimmar, too.

When models are updated, the NPC's also get updated. Think of it like Goblins being introduced, once they were introduced they also applied it towards NPC's at Booty Bay, Winterspring etc. I believe it didn't take as much effort because I like to believe that each NPC has a race ID number, for example: Orcs would be 2, so by that logic any NPC with the race ID of "2" would also get the new model that was assigned to the player race model ID "2"; it overwrites the original model ID.

Also, it's obvious Blood Elves/Draenei will be updated last over the Vanilla models so I wouldn't get too excited for it just yet. I'm willing to guess they'll release each race as they're done; and whenever a patch allows it, rather than all at once. So, I can see Dwarves and Orcs being released in the same patch because from what they've been saying, it looks like they're polishing up on those two at the moment.
    Last edited by NatePsy; 2013-09-20 at 04:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NatePsychotic View Post
    When models are updated, the NPC's also get updated. Think of it like Goblins being introduced, once they were introduced they also applied it towards NPC's at Booty Bay, Winterspring etc. I believe it didn't take as much effort because I like to believe that each NPC has a race ID number, for example: Orcs would be 2, so by that logic any NPC with the race ID of "2" would also get the new model that was assigned to the player race model ID "2"; it overwrites the original model ID.

Also, it's obvious Blood Elves/Draenei will be updated last over the Vanilla models so I wouldn't get too excited for it just yet. I'm willing to guess they'll release each race as they're done; and whenever a patch allows it, rather than all at once. So, I can see Dwarves and Orcs being released in the same patch because from what they've been saying, it looks like they're polishing up on those two at the moment.
    I guessed as much, but I'm not entirely sure how coding works, so... yeah...

But another thing that makes me wonder is that, if Blizzard are releasing these models as they are released, and they're 25% done, then doesn't that mean that at least 6 models (or 3 races including male and female complete) are done? Or perhaps they're trying to work on them all at the same time, and then release whatever's finished in segments. Eh, it's all weird.

10+ Year Old Account
    They said model update is "on a list" but not "on top of the list".
    PM me weird stuff :3

10+ Year Old Account
    Does the Op mean races like kobolds and murlocs?

10+ Year Old Account
    It's pretty likely we'll see Dwarves, Orcs, Trolls and (maybe) Humans soon. As for the rest of them, they are either coming with the rest in 5.5 or next expansion, or ghostcrawler is incorrect in his 25% number.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well we can all see the new Orc model. Garrosh is lookin good.

I honestly don't believe Draenei/Blood Elves are ever going to get updated, at least not with the others. I do remember seeing a Blizzard rep say that at some point, not sure where to find the source.

Deleted
    Will be used as a selling point in the next expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by NatePsychotic View Post
    I believe it didn't take as much effort because I like to believe that each NPC has a race ID number, for example: Orcs would be 2, so by that logic any NPC with the race ID of "2" would also get the new model that was assigned to the player race model ID "2"; it overwrites the original model ID.
    Also, each of the changeable features (i.e. hair color, skin color, etc.) are all ascribed a number as well -- so when new models are implemented all they need to do is swap out the old ones for the new ones in the files and, boom, everything else falls into line.

The models would automatically updated since they'd be replacing the old models with the new ones in the files themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Well we can all see the new Orc model. Garrosh is lookin good.
    A single NPC with a pretty limited armor and weapon selection does not represent the progress on a player race which has to deal with each and every visible armor slot, each and every type of weapon, mounts, a greater range of emotes, etc.

It is not a guarantee that an NPC and a player will share the same model.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    A single NPC with a pretty limited armor and weapon selection does not represent the progress on a player race which has to deal with each and every visible armor slot, each and every type of weapon, mounts, a greater range of emotes, etc.

It is not a guarantee that an NPC and a player will share the same model.
    The animations, however, are way too complex for a boss that doesn't use a third of them. Look at how (slightly) different looking bosses share a skeleton and imagine how different could the orc model be while still sharing the same animation set. We can probably expect some changes in proportions, but overall, they will look pretty much like Garrosh.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    That the 25% figure make a lot of sense if you take into account how low down the list of priorities the new models actually are.

As in at or near dead last.

EJL

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfKnees View Post
    The models would automatically updated since they'd be replacing the old models with the new ones in the files themselves.
    They never toss anything away. In the case of Worgen, Big Bad Wolf (and the pet he drops) still uses the old model.
    The repair dwarf in Caverns of Time uses the beta dwarf model still.
    And those .. err.. plus-sized humans in Old Southshore and the top floor of the Brawler's Pub, also beta models.

It's good practice, really. Never toss anything you've modelled away.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

Considering they started around two years ago (so some are saying), then they should be about half way done, right?
    GC tweet said recently they didn't start working full time on it until very recently. For last two years it was at the bottom of the to-do list for 3D modeling team.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

people see te number 25% and think that OMG THEY ARE ONLY 1/4 DONE!!!!!!!

Now, the character models are requiring them to make full moving skeletons for each race that is being updated. That 25% could be the ability to make those skeletons and now it is a simple matter of re sizing to make them fit the different races and ofc the art work. I would say that even though that said 25%, this was to throw us off and that we will have them next expac.

Also pandaren, worgan and goblin are not getting an update

Now I had this is my mind for some time but, what makes me think, is that this whole 25% complete character models seems very... strange to me.

I can understand it considering it took them around 4 months to do male and female Pandaren, so, if Worgen and Goblin are included, it should take about 48 months to do. Considering they started around two years ago (so some are saying), then they should be about half way done, right?

They aren't updating models past vanilla, so blood elves and draenei or beyond, won't be updated. Not to my knowledge anyway.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Halyon View Post
    They aren't updating models past vanilla, so blood elves and draenei or beyond, won't be updated. Not to my knowledge anyway.
    Actually pretty sure they've said Belfs and Draenei will be updated (but probably last). Worgen, Goblins and Pandaren will not.

Deleted
    It's so far on the back burner i'ts sitting on a radiator, they're putting the effort into cash cows not quality of life stuff.