Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Legendary tank cloak (useless??)

Does anyone use it at all??

The only class I see it benefit the most might be DK(with high dodge/parry). Otherwise, I dind't see a lot of tank with it since the proc is the worst proc ever. Unless I'm missing one mechanics in SoO that would benefit to be immune to death once in 2 minute cooldown.

Anyway, if your tank die, your healer did something wrong according to me.

I'm confuse why they dind't design a proc to mitigate dmg or buff your health pool.
    And I didn't read a lot lately on avoidance stats. Does Blizzard wants avoidance to come back in force!!

Didnt they buff dodge/parry for warriors and paladins this patch?

Well for me in a way yes because I have 30% proc chance to refresh my cooldown on my avenger shield(buffed from 12%). However, haste is still one of the best stats for pally. Even if I take the tank cloak, the proc is so bad!

Actually, if the tank dies, it COULD either be a healers or the tanks fault, before you go pointing the finger at all healers.

As for your original post, I have both cloaks (Brewmaster) I use the dps one on 10m fights and trash pulls unless I know the boss hits harder in which I will use the tanking one, especially in 25m.

Honestly both the procs don't really appeal to me since I am usually the last one to die on a wipe anyways, and I pull so much threat I don't need more DPS to back me up, however, I got a free Legendary for just playing the xpac from beginning to end, so I will not complain, the stats still work for me and the proc is just a bonus

10+ Year Old Account
    Dunno about warriors, but not really for paladins. They made our sacred shield absorb less damage, and avenger's shield only proc from dodge/parries. That is not enough to make dodge/parry stats that we want to prioritize.

I see several High-End pally tanks using it, but still using the dps meta, which seems weird to me, but they are 25 man, so the risk of death is greater I guess? Losing the haste from the dps one isn't ideal though.

Quote Originally Posted by Maggoo View Post
    I see several High-End pally tanks using it, but still using the dps meta, which seems weird to me, but they are 25 man, so the risk of death is greater I guess? Losing the haste from the dps one isn't ideal though.
    The risk of death is actually (usually) greater in 10 mans than 25.

Anyways, the cloak does look pretty 'eh' for tanks. Not that I'd have bothered to get it either way, of course.

Does the proc keep you alive when you would otherwise die?

Sounds like it would be incredibly clutch for soloing stuff.

As a Brewmaster, I was using Dps Cloak and Dps Meta, but seeing the number my Meta pulls now I swapped it for tank one. Blizzard has done nothing to make me want the tanking cloak, so until going more mastery won't stop me from dying, I'll continue using dps cloak and swapping trinkets for fights. But I'm also 10 man, where the risk of death is lesser.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    If the tank is not paying attention to mechanics, not using CDs at the right time, not taunting off as needed, etc. etc. it's the TANKS fault they die and not the healers. You can't outheal stupid especially when it one shots someone not playing properly.
    Pretty much this, I've died a number of times to shit that was my own fault, trying to take that extra stack for more Vengeance, not watching my threat and taking an extra stack, etc. I would only really blame my healers if my death is a result of 6+ seconds without a heal. Surviving at least that long, in most cases, is my job. After that it's all on their shoulders.

Deleted
    That we can't transmog over the leg cloak sucks, we can't choose the look...ruins the transmog set we worked hard to obtain...so have to hide cloak which makes transmog set look lesser...bleeeh..

But the cloak animation still shows, so no reason to why we shouldn't be able to change the look of the cloak through transmog since the animation will still be there?..

I mean, it's a goddamn stupid cloak! If it was a weapon I wouldn't complain, but a stupid cloak..they don't even look good n threw in some bigass animation..

The whole point of tank gearing right now (hit/exp cap, haste for pallys, etc) is damage smoothing, not damage reduction. The actual total damage we take is higher, but we reduce (not eliminate) the number of damage spikes we receive.

Why? Because when we receive a damage spike, healers have to cast a fast, inefficient heal to keep us alive. If they cast a slower, more mana efficient heal, we might take a hit that kills us before it lands. If we reduce (not eliminate) the number of damage spikes we receive, we reduce (not eliminate) the number of inefficient heals that need to be cast.

So the point of tank gearing right now is not based on gathering stats or reducing damage, but is ENTIRELY based on how healers react to our health bar. This is what makes the tanking proc powerful.

With the tank cloak proc, your healers can continue to cast slower, more efficient heals even when you do take a damage spike, because death is less of a concern. If their slow heal reaches you a half a second too late, no problem. This means they will have more mana to keep the DPS up long enough to kill the boss. (Just make sure your healers know when your cloak procs so they can shift back into keep-you-alive-at-all-costs mode).

Also, it reduces the number of learning attempts on a boss, letting you progress faster. If the healers "screw up", everyone can keep working on the mechanics of the boss instead of calling for a wipe and resetting. This lets you see later phases more regularly, which reduces the number of attempts before a kill, which speeds up your progression.
    Last edited by Thor/Cow; 2013-09-16 at 06:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't care what anyone else says: a "get out of death free" card that doesn't eat a keybind and doesn't even need to be activated is good, and I'm glad to have it, even if I don't plan on using it.

I'm actually curious to see what it does to certain boss enrage timers. The look on Ultraxion's face, for example, if he explodes and you just stand there unharmed.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Hoplite~ View Post
    Actually, if the tank dies, it COULD either be a healers or the tanks fault, before you go pointing the finger at all healers.

As for your original post, I have both cloaks (Brewmaster) I use the dps one on 10m fights and trash pulls unless I know the boss hits harder in which I will use the tanking one, especially in 25m.

Honestly both the procs don't really appeal to me since I am usually the last one to die on a wipe anyways, and I pull so much threat I don't need more DPS to back me up, however, I got a free Legendary for just playing the xpac from beginning to end, so I will not complain, the stats still work for me and the proc is just a bonus
    youre are absolutly right. It's not always the healers fault! Sorry

Regardless of whose "fault" it is, the cloak proc is awful. There's really no discussion to be had here without going straight to the obvious problem:

If they expected you to need a "get out of death free" proc, then only characters with the cloak are truly ready for progression. If the fights aren't tuned to make sure the tank dies so the cloak is useful, then the cloak's ability is pointless and the DPS proc is much, much better for tanking.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor/Cow View Post
    With the tank cloak proc, your healers can continue to cast slower, more efficient heals even when you do take a damage spike, because death is less of a concern. If their slow heal reaches you a half a second too late, no problem.
    And then the proc is on cooldown and they're panicking.
    Last edited by TheWindWalker; 2013-09-16 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I don't care what anyone else says: a "get out of death free" card that doesn't eat a keybind and doesn't even need to be activated is good, and I'm glad to have it, even if I don't plan on using it.

I'm actually curious to see what it does to certain boss enrage timers. The look on Ultraxion's face, for example, if he explodes and you just stand there unharmed.
    I would think the look on his face, if he explodes, would be one of incomprehensible visage; considering his face would be blown to pieces.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheWindWalker View Post
    If they expected you to need a "get out of death free" proc, then only characters with the cloak are truly ready for progression. If the fights aren't tuned to make sure the tank dies so the cloak is useful, then the cloak's ability is pointless and the DPS proc is much, much better for tanking.
    I am no friend to the tank cloak, but this is a little unfair.

It's obviously, yes, meant to be a "get out of death free" card, but even the best groups fuck up sometimes and a tank will die, whether it's on world first heroic progression or casual farming normal modes for rep/gems/whatever. It can make or break a clutch situation, but that's just it. It's a situational clutch that, in a perfect world, would never need to be used, but THAT'S just it: we don't live in a perfect world.

So yeah. It has it's uses, but I'm not about to bother myself to get it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally think that if the cloak had more of a Purgatory effect instead of just absorbing one attack, it'd be better. Right now you can be double ticked by something and almost instadie before you see your cloak proc.
    I'm just here to complain, if I'm being honest

Deleted
    While there are obviously fights in which the dps cloak will outshine the tank cloak either because the aoe dmg will simply be worth so much or because the fight doesn't have tank dmg. Any tank that doesn't realize how good the tank cloak is should really take a good look at themself.

Sure once you outgear heroic bosses with 20ilvls it might not feel like tanks can ever die but during progress a proc that saves you from a lethal hit is really really valuable.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylviana View Post
    Anyway, if your tank die, your healer did something wrong according to me.
    Is it the healer's fault when a tank doesn't understand its cooldowns and just stands there taking unnecessary damage?

Surviving is a tank's job and their legendary provides more flexibility in an emergency situation. This cloak is very valuable for progression fights.
    Last edited by Salted Beef; 2013-09-16 at 10:59 PM.

Don't know about yall but as a prot warrior I freaking love it, I can solo more stuff now. The proc is really a just in case you die kinda thing.