Page 1 of 2
LastLast

I don't want another worgen, so do I have to play gnome to do competitive dps

I have always played mage since the very end of TBC when I was just leveling. Raided through wrath somewhat casually, then raided pretty hardcore through cataclysm, then my guild broke up, so I don't raid anymore. I play alliance, so my mage was a draenei, then I switched to Worgen in Cata. Having 1% crit is really nice especially on a mage. So with that, I know Worgen is probably the best dps race on alliance side for casters.

I wanted to try out warlock next expansion, so I'm going to level one, and play him through lfrs, flex, and pugs to get acquainted, and be ready for next expac. So I do not want another worgen, I have the mage, and a druid, and I don't particularly love watching them huddle around. So my question is, do I need to play gnome? Does their racial really outweigh picking something like human or dwarf?

I also heard just to pick for looks because all the racials are being re-balanced, so it won't matter down the line. I don't know if this is true or not, but I would like if I could play a human mage.

Deleted
    Pandaren get 300 more intellect if i'm not mistaken. That should be worth more than 1% crit in any case unless you value the sprint a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by wiep View Post
    Pandaren get 300 more intellect if i'm not mistaken. That should be worth more than 1% crit in any case unless you value the sprint a lot.
    Except Pandaren cannot be Warlocks

Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    I have always played mage since the very end of TBC when I was just leveling. Raided through wrath somewhat casually, then raided pretty hardcore through cataclysm, then my guild broke up, so I don't raid anymore. I play alliance, so my mage was a draenei, then I switched to Worgen in Cata. Having 1% crit is really nice especially on a mage. So with that, I know Worgen is probably the best dps race on alliance side for casters.

I wanted to try out warlock next expansion, so I'm going to level one, and play him through lfrs, flex, and pugs to get acquainted, and be ready for next expac. So I do not want another worgen, I have the mage, and a druid, and I don't particularly love watching them huddle around. So my question is, do I need to play gnome? Does their racial really outweigh picking something like human or dwarf?

I also heard just to pick for looks because all the racials are being re-balanced, so it won't matter down the line. I don't know if this is true or not, but I would like if I could play a human mage.
    Worrying about racials when you are doing lfrs, flex and pugs is crazy. U should play something that is pleasing to your eyes since u will be on that charecter for a long time. I have a few alts gathering dust that i will never touch because they are so hideous. I cant stand Nelfs.

A minimal lag at the wrong moment or simply confusing a button with another on your keyboard once or twice per fight will have a greater impact on your DPS performance than alliance racials. The only thing that stands out - even though not much - is the troll racial, so if anything you're playing the wrong faction.
    Your rights as a consumer begin and end at the point where you choose not to consume, and not where you yourself influence the consumed goods.

Translation: if you don't like a game don't play it.

Quote Originally Posted by wiep View Post
    pandas cant be warlocks bud, otherwise I would :/

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Trialtm View Post
    Worrying about racials when you are doing lfrs, flex and pugs is crazy. U should play something that is pleasing to your eyes since u will be on that charecter for a long time. I have a few alts gathering dust that i will never touch because they are so hideous. I cant stand Nelfs.
    Well I do plan on raiding again next expac. I only brought up the others because I'm going to be settling into the class with these for next expansion.

Jesus dude, it shouldn't be hard to decide... Gnomes are awesome!

Racials don't make that much of a difference. Pick the race you like the most unless you are chasing firsts.

Meh, I wouldn't worry too much about which race you are.

I personally only really play Belf's and Draenei unless the class doesn't allow for it...
    I raid in a casual guild, If I were ever in a hardcore guild I'd probably race change to min max but unless you are there really isn't a point.

Deleted
    What do you mean when you say "competitive dps" ?

And about leveling a warlock to get acquainted (assuming you mean learn how to do the rotation etc.), we change drastically with every patch and even more so with every expansion. To explain; whatever I knew during TBC was 100% irrelevant during WOTLK, every mechanic changed in all ways imaginable. Same goes for any expansion and as evident by 5.4 and 5.2, sometimes by patches too.
    A little frustrating if you don't have an excess amount of time to re-learn the class at every turn. I am getting sick of it.

Deleted
    I personally hope they make all racials utility or such, or remove them entirely next expo. I don't have to play troll, but I play troll to have a advantage (its pretty god damm sick for Affliction).

However, I don't like the horde races that much - UD not that much more than Troll. If I were you, play whatever you like most - I find gnomes/humans looking awesome, but would prob go with human even tho they have inferior racials.

Gnomes only have a perk if you use a 1h dagger/sword has it gives 1% hit.

Since isnt hard anymore to get hit cap and the best weapons have been stafs, gnome racial is abit lost

A gnome still have a extra 15k mana but thats residual DPS if even that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Humans get 1% hit from Swords, and EMFH is very strong on a lot of encounters; always has been. What are you even worried about, unless your raid is consistently wiping at <1% - which is probably pointing to issues other than raw DPS to begin with. If it's WoL rankings you're after, then you're probably better switching to Orc or Troll.
    Last edited by Jessicka; 2013-09-18 at 01:55 PM.

Deleted
    Look at Dpsonroids of Midwinter. He is playing in one of the world best guilds and stays dwarf. On Horde there is the troll racial, which gives you a significant boost on beast bosses. But otherwise I wouldn't worry too much if you are not raiding heroics.

The impact racial bonuses have to anyone outside of the World First / Realm First races is so trivial that you should just play what you enjoy, not what is optimal.

The difference it'll make to your team is so minute you wouldn't even notice it.

Deleted
    Dwarf master race. End of thread.

Knowing that the only Alliance race that has a significant (in terms of racials) impact on DPS is Worgen, I'd suggest going Human. The increased reputation gain, Hit gained while using swords (common), and Every Man racial are all very good for PvE.

Quote Originally Posted by Taira View Post
    Knowing that the only Alliance race that has a significant (in terms of racials) impact on DPS is Worgen, I'd suggest going Human. The increased reputation gain, Hit gained while using swords (common), and Every Man racial are all very good for PvE.
    ^What this person said^

Deleted
    Not even paragon cared that much about racials for t15 progression, so I honestly dont see why the average person would...

Quote Originally Posted by VoodooGaming View Post
    The impact racial bonuses have to anyone outside of the World First / Realm First races is so trivial that you should just play what you enjoy, not what is optimal.

The difference it'll make to your team is so minute you wouldn't even notice it.
    If its so trivial, why even have it