Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Current problems with the transmog system

I'm a big fan of the transmog system added back in Cataclysm. Not only it made me resub, but allowed me to player the characters I always wanted. But, the system have some big problems in my opinion that I would like to share:

1- Limited options for transmog weapons: This one is classic and everyone knows it, the most common complain is, you cannot transmog polearms into 2H swords / maces / axes.

2- Enchanting effects: This also a well known problem. Most of the times the enchant effect screws up the entire look of the transmog, it would be very nice to have a "transmog enchant" feature, so you can put your favourite effect (even none) into your weapon.

3- Long lost quest rewards: The transmog system only came out during Cataclysm. It means that all your only quest reward items you got prior to that, and deleted like any normal person would do, are lost FOREVER. The major problem I see here is that there are very cool and unique items that are quest rewards, items that you cannot find anywhere else! And since the system wasn't live back when you finished the uest, you can no longer transmog. It would be nice to have in any zone a particular NPC that sells all the quest rewards you already got, much like we have in Pandaria.

4- Removed items: This one is the worst problem imho. Every expansion, while it adds tons of good looking items, it also removes A LOT of old great items, such as Chains of the Scarlet Crusader, Necropile set, Fleshrender sword, etc. Before MoP it was said that you would be looking into it, but what we really saw in MoP was only a few troll items added in 5.2 and that was it. It would be nice to add those items back, in form of drops, quest rewards, Black market AH, professions, etc.

5- It's time to upgrade the system: I'm not saying the system is old, but it has potential to be much more! For instance, the feature to change the skin colors / textures of your gear, since we have TONS OF unused textures in wow's files.

6- You cannot transmog lvl 60 pvp gear, only if you have th title: People say that if the set were made avaiable, pvpers would feel sad because of the hard effort blablabla. But people tend to forget that, when TBC came out, the first honor lvl 70 set had the SAME models / textures of the old pvp sets. And you could get that in like a week of AV. And you know what? I don't recal ANY pvp saying "but I put so much effort into that, now everyone can have the same look I had!". Second, Blizzard made avaiable all the rank 14 weapons in SoO as heirlooms, and once again I can't see any old school pvper crying. Also, the he achievement is not account-wide, this means that if you got the title in vanilla, you may only transmog the set IF you play the same character you use to play like 6 YEARS AGO

So, this is it folks, this is the list of the major concerns of the transmog system right now. I would like to know if you have more problems to add to that list.

Thank you very much.

Suggested problems:

1- Restrictions, restrictions everywhere: Why so many restrictions to the system? Why can't a player wear common gear, when there are uncommon and even rare gear that look as silly / noobish? And why can't you transmog different kinds of gear, for example, plate into mail? There are also many gear pieces that share 2 and even 3 gear types. My suggestion, let your player be free to chose what they want to wear.

2- More space in the Void Storage: Players who devote themselves to transmog are facing a lack of space in their banks, void storages.

3- You cannot transmog Legendary gear: The stand point of "Well if everyone wore them, they wouldn't feel legendary anymore" went out the window with the legendary cloak. If you are willing to let everyone have a cloak, why not let everyone wear the legendary weapons they worked hard/farmed for?

4- Missing Parts: Certain sets are missing parts, like Hunter offset T8 parts.

5- some kind of x-mog journal added to the game. Not only would it help out to free peoples banks , but you could also allow all your toons to use items that you have picked up. Kinda like a BoA feature.
    Last edited by Drakesong; 2013-09-18 at 01:55 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I completely agree with the quest reward issue, I re-leveled a rogue main human male for the quest item mogs.

I never really mind being a gnome before xmog came out because the gear Blizz gave me always looked like shit anyway and you HAD to wear that gears look.

Now I actually enjoy seeing what I wear ;p had to go back to gnome though, there are some decent mogs for them. Quest item mog merchants sounds like a great idea though.

Quote Originally Posted by Celticmoon View Post
    I would like some kind of x-mog journal added to the game. Not only would it help out to free peoples banks , but you could also allow all your toons to use items that you have picked up. Kinda like a BoA feature.

Say I pick up a certain (non-class restrictive) piece of cloth gear. I could then add it to the journal and be able to use it on any of my cloth wearing toons.

I also would like to be able to x-mog older weapon enchants.
    Ah that sounds so simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakesong View Post
    2- Enchanting effects: This also a well known problem. Most of the times the enchant effect screws up the entire look of the transmog, it would be very nice to have a "transmog enchant" feature, so you can put your favourite effect (even none) into your weapon.
    Wanted this for so long, and Blizzard have talked about this for so long... how far are they with it?
    https://twitter.com/Ghostcrawler/sta...51029892386816

Just implement "hide enchant" and implement mogging other enchants in a later build :P

1- Limited options for transmog weapons: This one is classic and everyone knows it, the most common complain is, you cannot transmog polearms into 2H swords / maces / axes.
    This would require an extensive fix that honestly isn't worth it.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

Quote Originally Posted by chrth View Post
    This would require an extensive fix that honestly isn't worth it.
    Says you, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by JimPaladin View Post
    Says you, huh?
    Says anyone who knows why the limitation currently exists and what it would take to fix it.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

Quote Originally Posted by JimPaladin View Post
    Says you, huh?
    Polarms have the same animation as staffs which isn't what the other 2h uses.

I think it is a good thing that some items can't be obtained, it rewards players who been playing the game for a long time. I think transmogery should have some limitations to it.

What I would love to see though is a possibility to convert an existing item to a "cosmetic" item, meaning it'll only be a name with a look. I mean, the voidbankthing removes gems, enchants etc to save data. wouldn't it be better to just convert something to a cosmetic item? Then add "cosmetic enchantments" such as dyes which can only be used on cosmetic items.
    Well met!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iem View Post
    Man even if Blizzard gave players bars of gold, they would complain that they were too heavy.

Says anyone who knows why the limitation currently exists and what it would take to fix it.
    Hunters can transmog thier weapon between the 3 types of ranged weapons. Im sure they can for melee weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephire View Post
    Then add "cosmetic enchantments" such as dyes which can only be used on cosmetic items.
    The problem with dyes is that Blizzard didn't design the weapons/gears like the other games did to be "dye-friendly". The only thing you'd be able to do is change the color scheme of one of the other models in-game of the item, and people would get annoyed when one weapon or armor piece doesn't have a specific color variation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Asuras View Post
    Hunters can transmog thier weapon between the 3 types of ranged weapons. Im sure they can for melee weapons.
    If they thought it made sense to do it, they would've done it when they added the option to swap around items with the same animations. The Hunter weapon change also doesn't have to worry about weapon restrictions in game.

15+ Year Old Account
    Absolutely agree with the Transmog Journal idea. IMO that's what Void Storage should have been all along. As it exists, Void Storage is an extra two bank tabs that you have to pay to use each time. Take off the limit, don't allow duplicates, and have the actual items deleted so that you're just storing the record that you attained it, just like an achievement. As it is I'm running out of space to store all my ridiculous numbers of xmog items, and I only collect tier sets. I feel bad for the people who have unique xmog items.

And what would that limitation be, given that, for example, I can already xmog a gun into a bow, and vice versa? The animations all exist in the game, there really isn't anything technical stopping them aside from a declaration that the 2 weapon types are too different.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    And what would that limitation be, given that, for example, I can already xmog a gun into a bow, and vice versa? The animations all exist in the game, there really isn't anything technical stopping them aside from a declaration that the 2 weapon types are too different.
    Ignore him, he likes to think he is a programmer.

Quote Originally Posted by Annarion View Post
    Absolutely agree with the Transmog Journal idea. IMO that's what Void Storage should have been all along. As it exists, Void Storage is an extra two bank tabs that you have to pay to use each time. Take off the limit, don't allow duplicates, and have the actual items deleted so that you're just storing the record that you attained it, just like an achievement. As it is I'm running out of space to store all my ridiculous numbers of xmog items, and I only collect tier sets. I feel bad for the people who have unique xmog items.
    This. I'm in the same boat; I collect tier sets and my Warrior's void storage has long since been full. And I'm not done.

Also, just let us transmogrify our legendaries already! I've got Thunderfury and Shadowmourne both sitting in my bags just hoping for the day when Blizzard finally gives in and lets it happen.

Also, for those who have already established their favorite transmog set then they get their legendary cloak and it TOTALLY clashes with it, but they don't want to hide the cloak, why not let it be transmogrified? It's not a big deal!

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Enlighten us. Titan's Grip made 2H weapons wieldable in one hand, so why can't transmog?

Added more problems

Suggested problems:

1- Restrictions, restrictions everywhere: Why so many restrictions to the system? Why can't a player wear common gear, when there are uncommon and even rare gear that look as silly / noobish? And why can't you transmog different kinds of gear, for example, plate into mail? There are also many gear pieces that share 2 and even 3 gear types. My suggestion, let your player be free to chose what they want to wear.

2- More space in the Void Storage: Players who devote themselves to transmog are facing a lack of space in their banks, void storages.

3- You cannot transmog Legendary gear: The stand point of "Well if everyone wore them, they wouldn't feel legendary anymore" went out the window with the legendary cloak. If you are willing to let everyone have a cloak, why not let everyone wear the legendary weapons they worked hard/farmed for?

4- Missing Parts: Certain sets are missing parts, like Hunter offset T8 parts.

5- some kind of x-mog journal added to the game. Not only would it help out to free peoples banks , but you could also allow all your toons to use items that you have picked up. Kinda like a BoA feature.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celticmoon View Post
    I would like some kind of x-mog journal added to the game. Not only would it help out to free peoples banks , but you could also allow all your toons to use items that you have picked up. Kinda like a BoA feature.

Say I pick up a certain (non-class restrictive) piece of cloth gear. I could then add it to the journal and be able to use it on any of my cloth wearing toons.

I also would like to be able to x-mog older weapon enchants.
    This is a great idea, would love that.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

I love the transmog journal as well. It would be brilliant. No more space problems. You can safely delete the items once acquired. I see no downsides of this besides implementation time.

Blizzard seems to recognize that players are facing a space crunch, but all Mists seems to have done is introduced more and more gear and more and more vanity items. I understand that there are technical restrictions in place that have left them with few options re: additional bag space. Would the transmog journal run afoul of that?

Or maybe there could be some sort of system where, when you loot a piece of, say, tier gear, it unlocks an item from a Tier Vendor that lets you buy a cosmetic version again later on down the road? That way you could toss the gear when you don't need it, but could still access it again without relying on the vagaries of RNG (and, presumably, without needlessly taxing Blizzard's storage system)...

Of course, that wouldn't help those of us that run with customized mogs, but even for me clearing out the tier stuff would help a lot.
    The Devil Wears Transmog
    World of Warcraft Fashion for the Discerning Adventurer

More space in the Void Storage: Players who devote themselves to transmog are facing a lack of space in their banks, void storages.

Some kind of x-mog journal added to the game. Not only would it help out to free peoples banks , but you could also allow all your toons to use items that you have picked up. Kinda like a BoA feature.
    Give atleast one of those cause when Transmog was implemented with the Void Storage it was full in a second :P

What i dont understand is how axes can be mogged into maces etc, but daggers cant be mogged into anything else than daggers! So like, asassi rogues are doomed to only have daggers =/