Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Moonkin without keybinding?

So, my main is an elemental shaman. I've been playing on and off for 10 years and although I've tried many-a-time to learn keybinding...it just doesn't work for me. I either don't have the hand coordination or I'm just too stupid or slow. I have a 90 Druid and I really like moonkins. Is it even possible to do well as a clicker moonkin or resto? Despite wanting to keybind I just can't get it down..I feel like if I clicking doesn't cut it then I don't even know if I should continue playing.

i mean you can play however you want, as long as your goals aren't to get into a serious raiding guild.

well that's the thing. I am in a raiding guild and I do just fine on my shaman- always top dps....but I would like to switch to druid but just am utterly unable to figure out keybinding
    Last edited by zimboombafoo; 2013-09-19 at 11:20 PM.

A good clicker is better than a bad keybinder. With practice, you will be able to keep up in a non-hardcore raiding guild as a clicker (no matter the class).

With that said, keybinds are the way to go. I've found that if you're having trouble learning them for one reason or another, consider investing in a Razer Naga.

Best of luck!

...By the way, shaman is more fun.

Deleted
    One thing that I found made stuff simpler was binding moonfire/sunfire to mwheel-up/down and put mouseover-macros for them.
    Then you could probably do fine clicking if you're doing it well on your shammy already without problems.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xtiiina View Post
    i mean you can play however you want, as long as your goals aren't to get into a serious raiding guild.
    I don't agree with this. I raided in a server first 25 man guild for over a year and no one had a single clue that that I didn't learn to keybind until way after we had cleared Dragon Soul on Heroic, and were just sitting around waiting for MoP to come out. I had zero trouble destroying DPS meters on my boomkin. Do I keybind now? Yes. Has it made a HUGE difference? Not really. *shrugs*

I see more of a different in PVP / Arenas. Not PvE.

Would be really difficult to multidot if you have to click targets and then move the mouse to click both dots etc

Using the standard numbers above WASD keys, 1-6, isn't at all difficult and you can fit the core abilities there.

that's the thing- i HAVE razer naga. and STILL can't do it...i ended up just using the side buttons for strafe/jump..even if I keybind my main ablities and get that down..then I have to click the rest..and I cant click while I'm mouse turning....
    Last edited by zimboombafoo; 2013-09-19 at 11:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have your tried mouse key-binds? Similar to how Vuhdo works for healing? Vuhdo got me used to using my modifier keys so that got me into my current key-binding spot. I played as a click-kin for years, but aoe was always overwhelming for me and my dps was lower. In MoP I changed to mouse key-binds + Modifier keys, I only click a few things now like healthstones and potions. After some time I also got into using ~ and 1, 2 keys.

Using Elvu UI also helped me get into key-binds easier, since its very very easy to assign or unassigned them. Anyway, a click-kin can be done, but it isn't "optimal". You won't be optimal using key-binds until you've done it for hours and hours. So play what you want, and how you want.

When i was transitioning between clicking and keybinds I left everything on my bars the same, and only did a few spells. This way if I freaked myself out I could just go back to clicking, but the key-binds were still there to use.

Edit: damn, fast posts. I don't think i could use a razor naga, I have some simple logitch. Scroll wheel, middle mouse click, forward and back buttons, and some otehr button that is between those. I'd never be able to feel the difference between the buttons on the Naga, so this works for me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zimboombafoo View Post
    So, my main is an elemental shaman. I've been playing on and off for 10 years and although I've tried many-a-time to learn keybinding...it just doesn't work for me. I either don't have the hand coordination or I'm just too stupid or slow. I have a 90 Druid and I really like moonkins. Is it even possible to do well as a clicker moonkin or resto? Despite wanting to keybind I just can't get it down..I feel like if I clicking doesn't cut it then I don't even know if I should continue playing.
    Boring answer: Force yourself to use the binds.

You're going to play very poorly the first days/weeks, but once you actually start using the binds, it'll attach itself into your muscle memory.

Trust me when I say this, you will learn to use the keybinds. It may feel like it's hopeless at first, but trust me, you will learn. I used to click a long time ago, then I tried keybindings I hated it. I couldn't use them and even though I had it all bound, I still clicked. Then I forced myself to actually use the bind. I was probably the worst feral druid ever, but as I did more and more BGs, I finally started to use the binds since I forced myself to refuse clicking. Eventually I started binding more and more keys. Even though I had learned binds, I still couldn't learn additional ones without forcing myself not to click.

Today?

These are my binds

and I never click!

(From Living Bomb to Healthstones are all mouse buttons. I don't actually press those keys on my keyboard)

10+ Year Old Account
    I highly suggest getting a Razer Nostromo keypad. I've been using a Nostromo since back in Vanilla when it was a sad little thing with only 10 buttons on it, the later versions are much better. I have my movement (forward, backward, strafe left/right) bound to the Dpad, and all my buttons on the keypad itself. Combined with a Razer Naga, you have literally everything easily accessible right at your fingertips, and you can easily move while casting... which is a awesome as a druid. I don't even touch my keyboard unless I need to type something, because I also have shift/alt/ctrl bound to my Naga, which apply different shift-states to all of my Nostromo buttons (effectively giving me 42 buttons directly under my left hand).

And if you go that route, I also suggest picking up a bar mod like Bartender so you can arrange the buttons on your screen the same way they are on the Nostromo/Naga, that way you won't get confused when looking for a CD or whatnot.

And, an easy way to *learn* keybinds is to PVP with them. You'll die a lot because you'll forget where things are located sometimes, but it's best to fling yourself into a mob of enemies and try to live as long as possible... make it a point to rotate through every CD you have. If you do this for a few days to a week, I promise you you'll remember things.

But yeah, I get what you're saying about normal keybinds. I've attempted to play WoW without my mouse and keypad, but WASD just cramps the hell out of my hands. And I feel much less responsive because I can't turn and move while I'm hitting abilities well.
    Last edited by voxTree; 2013-09-19 at 11:50 PM.

I switched many of my main abilities to my Naga, and the way that is easiest to learn is do it a couple at a time, and stick to your core abilities. If you can leard 5 binds on the naga over the course of 2 weeks, I'd call it a success.

Bottom line though is that you can be a great player that clicks. Don't let it worry you. If you really want keybinds, it will take a ton of practice. Don't switch up the bindings a lot if you're learning. Find a good spot for them and keep them there. Work them in slowly with your clicking rotation if you have to.

In all honesty, you should do fine. I've played a boomkin main since early TBC, and I have yet to this day had a single keybind. I most often use a combination of clicking (usually reserved for extra actionbar spells), and using the number line above WASD for my main spells. Without sounding too arrogant, I can fairly say I've done decently in every expansion. (apart from TBC perhaps, I hadn't learned about gems/enchants until Wrath! In fact, I'm often in the top 3 in raid finder, and same among any raiding guilds I've been in, and that's certainly without amazing gear.

I haven't ever used keybindings and I'm doing great and am perfectly happy that way. You should be fine, especially if keybinding isn't working out for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Boomking View Post
    In all honesty, you should do fine. I've played a boomkin main since early TBC, and I have yet to this day had a single keybind. I most often use a combination of clicking (usually reserved for extra actionbar spells), and using the number line above WASD for my main spells. Without sounding too arrogant, I can fairly say I've done decently in every expansion. (apart from TBC perhaps, I hadn't learned about gems/enchants until Wrath! In fact, I'm often in the top 3 in raid finder, and same among any raiding guilds I've been in, and that's certainly without amazing gear.

I haven't ever used keybindings and I'm doing great and am perfectly happy that way. You should be fine, especially if keybinding isn't working out for you.
    I think using the numbers keys above WASD counts as keybinds.

Deleted
    Everyone uses 1-6 as keybindings for their main abilities, for me it feels strange to try to strafe with them (I use A D for strafe), and for my main spells I use:

E:Wrath
    F:Moonfire
    C:Sunfire
    R:Starfire
    G:Starsurge
    V:Starfall
    T:Wild Mushroom

I also use the razer naga and have rebound the keys on it so I also can use the ordinary 1-6 for spells even if I use them for arena target stuff. I also use modifiers, and total I think I have maybe 55-60 keybindings.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xtiiina View Post
    you'd be surprised how many clickers are active at high level

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zimboombafoo View Post
    well that's the thing. I am in a raiding guild and I do just fine on my shaman- always top dps....but I would like to switch to druid but just am utterly unable to figure out keybinding
    Being top dps doesn't make you a good raider, and if your always top as an elemental shaman I suggest looking up how shitty your other raiders are.

Quote Originally Posted by Geekissexy View Post
    I don't agree with this. I raided in a server first 25 man guild for over a year and no one had a single clue that that I didn't learn to keybind until way after we had cleared Dragon Soul on Heroic, and were just sitting around waiting for MoP to come out. I had zero trouble destroying DPS meters on my boomkin. Do I keybind now? Yes. Has it made a HUGE difference? Not really. *shrugs*

I see more of a different in PVP / Arenas. Not PvE.
    I believe clickers can be awesome at the game. But put 2 players who are equally as good next to eachother and the keybinder will win over the clicker. But if you are good at clicking, then who are we to tell you it's bad.

Clicking becomes a problem when you suck at the game...
    Last edited by mmoc6f961e454e; 2013-09-20 at 03:54 PM.

The only thing that is inconvenient for clickers is wild mushroom, but that's something you'd only plant in downtime anyway. I think you'll do just fine clicking, basic boomy rotation is pretty simple.

Keybinding will give you better reaction time and better mobility, but you should have no trouble raiding as long as you aren't bleeding edge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zdrasti View Post
    When a homeless person is rambling in the streets, it's better to ignore them than argue with them. On the internets it's clearly better to spend an entire week proving them wrong.

Deleted
    You should play some Stepmania, get your reflexes up. Might make it a bit easier with keybiding.
    Last edited by mmoc30001577f5; 2013-09-20 at 05:01 PM.

Wild mushrooms are just inconvenient all around! :P 4 GCDs for one AOE haha.