Poll: Would you Support an HD Texture Pack Upgrade for WoW?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Clone View Post
    Gameplay > Graphics = excuses from people with bad computers

I remember when I'd used to say the same thing before I got a new system. Newsflash people, good gameplay and good graphics aren't mutually exclusive.
    Not only that, but older graphics wouldn't necessarily run smoother than updated graphics on a newer engine. Game performance is due to multiple variables, there's a reason why people are getting better performance out of newer games like ESO and Rift in comparison to WoW, despite the differences in graphics detail and quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    there's a reason why people are getting better performance out of newer games like ESO and Rift in comparison to WoW, despite the differences in graphics detail and quality.
    I don't know anybody who's getting better performance in Rift or SWToR than WoW with similar settings. And talking about ESO is rather pointless before it's launched.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    id rather see more particles, glows, blooms and lens flares. Better liquids would be nice as well.

i want to feel the heat permeate off of the lava in black rock mountain and i want to see the sparks dance across my screen as swords clash together. Harsh shadows enveloping characters as you move into the darkness and the bright reds and yellow glows from a mages hands as they charge a pyroblast.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    If you scrapped WoW's engine, that'd be making WoW 2. You don't just make a 'completely new engine' without making an entirely new game.
    blues have come out and said theyve updated and customized a large portion of the engine. It is practically a new engine when you compare it to 2004 vanilla

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexeht View Post
    Sooner or later Blizz will be made into making new engine to WoW because game getting old, and instead better graphic we getting fps drop every patch - soon to even play 25man you will need highend PC, but if you would back to vanilla - if you can remember - you were able to play 40man on not so good PC (my radeon 9200 handle it if I remember correctly).

A bit offtop here - I wonder if Blizz will overhaul Silvermoon where we still can see monuments of Kael'thas there and Green power crystals which don't fit lore at all atm.
    You already need a high-end PC to run 25 man, what are you on about?

Quote Originally Posted by Zyranthian View Post
    In an ideal world where it wouldn't take tonnes of time and resources to redo all the textures in the game, sure I'd love higher res textures on older stuff, but I wouldn't be willing to sacrifice the other content you would need to sacrifice to make that happen. Its not just a case of scaling them up, theres only a finite amount of data in those textures and scaling them up to a higher res isn't going to magically make them more detailed. Imagine it as the difference between a DVD upscaled to 1080p and a Blu-ray movie natively outputting at 1080p; its a pretty significant difference.

It would take artists many, many, many hours of work re-creating a lot of the textures to make it happen, and it doesn't matter how much money or how many resources they have, you're still going to be sacrificing the content that those resources could have otherwise been spent on.
    I would argue that Heartstone/pet battles/PVP detract developer time as well from the real, tangible features, but you wouldn't understand.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by runedhill View Post
    Blizzard doesn't have Exxon money and because of that (and a plethora of other reasons) will not now, nor ever, upgrade graphics the way you want.
    Game quality =/= graphics quality. Unless you prefer to have all of the content we have now and absolutely 0 advancement to ever happen in the game, you don't really want wildly upgraded graphics. Realism in video games like this kill video games like this. Look at Rift, they tried realism and it failed. Big time. Why? Because of what I already said: game quality =/= graphics quality.

Azeroth isn't real life. Get a grip. Stop trying to make it so.
    Maybe, but the engine is still ancient and it's more of a power hog than most engines used by newer games. At some point it just won't be able to handle all the data and crash. So eventually it will have to either be redone or they just kill the game...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zatetic View Post
    blues have come out and said theyve updated and customized a large portion of the engine. It is practically a new engine when you compare it to 2004 vanilla
    Yeah, literally smoke but no mirrors. No, really.... Smoke is DX11.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

A lot of people in this thread can't seem to grasp the sheer amount of work required in generating and building a brand new engine for World of Warcraft, and how unlikely that is to happen.

Blizzard can (and has in the past) update the engine as they go along, improving mechanics and systems, and even overhauling major parts such as the new water system we now have. However, a whole new engine would be a disaster for Blizzard because of the sheer amount of time, money and effort needed would be detrimental to the current game.

Think about the scale for a moment. Absolutely everything, everything to do with World of Warcraft would have to be re-developed. From the Combat System to Gravity, to Movement Speed to the Roll system. It isn't something you do in a day off, and it isn't something you do when your current engine could be upgraded a little further and generally provide some of the key new features people desire.

As for HD Textures, I don't see why not. It would be nice to see the world really brought to life in HD but I'm not too bothered by it either. With the upcoming update to the race models, I have a feeling older content is going to be getting a few more updates as well.

Imagine the nice impact it would have if they just changed the tree visuals to something more realistic? That'd look amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Moshic View Post
    I would argue that Heartstone/pet battles/PVP detract developer time as well from the real, tangible features, but you wouldn't understand.
    I would argue that the people doing Heartstone/pet battles/pvp have no clue how to optimize WoW's graphics or networking engine, but you wouldn't understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Moshic View Post
    Yeah, literally smoke but no mirrors. No, really.... Smoke is DX11.
    DX11 mode runs on average 20% faster than DX9 mode for people with with proper modern computer, so it's not just smoke (and mirrors).

Quote Originally Posted by VoodooGaming View Post
    A lot of people in this thread can't seem to grasp the sheer amount of work required in generating and building a brand new engine for World of Warcraft, and how unlikely that is to happen.
    And even more people in this thread can't seem to grasp the fact that WoW's engine is pretty damn advanced already. The low quality of graphics they're seeing is because of the 15 year old low polygon count models and textures that were optimized for 64MB graphics cards back then, not an engine limitation.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    Maybe, but the engine is still ancient and it's more of a power hog than most engines used by newer games. At some point it just won't be able to handle all the data and crash. So eventually it will have to either be redone or they just kill the game...
    Even if it is a more power hungry engine (to which, I'd like to see your evidence), it does a lot greater things then a lot of newer generation engines.

The fluid combat of World of Warcraft is one of the nicest things about the engine, everything just feels smooth. Guild Wars 2, Rift, Star Wars: The Old Republic and many other games suffer from very clunky and unnatural combat, and I for one would prefer we kept a better combat system, then upgrading the engine just because we feel they should.

Deleted
    After "maybe" not one word of this comment refers to reality.
    Yes, the original engine was based on an already fairly old one, but it has been changed so much are you seriously trying to tell us MoP is still running off essentially the Warcraft 3 engine?
    More of a power hog than "newer games"? Which of these "newer games" uses less resources than WoW (note resources used in this context has nothing to do with the final fidelity)? TSW? Rift? SWTOR? GW2? Because I've played most if not all of these "newer games" and they either use the same amount of resources from my PC or more. In fact, I can't think of a single comparable newer game that uses more "resources" than WoW. Not one.
    The last bit about ever increasing data load causing the game to crash and Blizzard then just "killing the game" is something I read in an awful SF novel I'm sure. It definitely has no correlation with the reality of WoW's situation.
    Last edited by mmoc6765cb3ae1; 2013-09-22 at 07:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VoodooGaming View Post
    Even if it is a more power hungry engine (to which, I'd like to see your evidence), it does a lot greater things then a lot of newer generation engines.

The fluid combat of World of Warcraft is one of the nicest things about the engine, everything just feels smooth. Guild Wars 2, Rift, Star Wars: The Old Republic and many other games suffer from very clunky and unnatural combat, and I for one would prefer we kept a better combat system, then upgrading the engine just because we feel they should.
    This is blizzard we are talking about ofc they will still have top notch gameplay... they just upgrade the engine, optimizing it so it doesn't drain as many resources to run at high settings... for example I can play rift and gw2 at max settings... I can't do the same with wow...

Custom, fan-made (and legit) texture packs would be nice. Maybe I'll start playing again if that happens.
    Rincewind: Ah! We may, in fact, have reached the root of the problem. However it's a silly problem and so I am suddenly going to stop talking to you.
    The better character questionnaire (D&D)

This is blizzard we are talking about ofc they will still have top notch gameplay... they just upgrade the engine, optimizing it so it doesn't drain as many resources to run at high settings... for example I can play rift and gw2 at max settings... I can't do the same with wow...
    I'm not denying that the World of Warcraft engine could use some tweaks here and there, but most people in this thread are calling for a whole new engine, which is just insane when you actually know the amount of work required to do that.

The main thing is that Blizzard does update the engine every expansion, sometimes obviously, sometimes more subtle. Remember the water update featured in Cataclysm? Remember the new mountain visuals released with Mists of Pandaria. All possible because of updates to the engine.

Updates happen all the time, and so asking for more is just silly because they're coming anyway. The main decision though is would you rather have a newly optimised game where you can run it on Ultra but somewhere the combat system has had to be sacrificed, or would you rather play a really nice combat system when running on High?

I know they're not mutually exclusive, but for the time being the work required to achieve both means they are.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mercadi View Post
    Custom, fan-made (and legit) texture packs would be nice. Maybe I'll start playing again if that happens.
    I've always wondered what it would be like if Blizzard allowed us to texture certain aspects of the game, but the issue then comes with someone is bound to take it too far, and make texture packs that make it easier to identify certain aspects of the game, providing an advantage.

Imagine if you could texture pack more clearly all the boss mechanics so you simply never stood in the big bold red area?

Same. Well, I *can* play wow at maxed settings, but I take a performance loss in comparison to other games like Rift. ESO *supposedly* runs even better, but for some reason everyone else on the planet besides me managed to get into their beta/stress test events, so that is just secondhand info/opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by madrox View Post
    After "maybe" not one word of this comment refers to reality.
    Yes, the original engine was based on an already fairly old one, but it has been changed so much are you seriously trying to tell us MoP is still running off essentially the Warcraft 3 engine?
    More of a power hog than "newer games"? Which of these "newer games" uses less resources than WoW (note resources used in this context has nothing to do with the final fidelity)? TSW? Rift? SWTOR? GW2? Because I've played most if not all of these "newer games" and they either use the same amount of resources from my PC or more. In fact, I can't think of a single comparable newer game that uses more "resources" than WoW. Not one.
    The last bit about ever increasing data load causing the game to crash and Blizzard then just "killing the game" is something I read in an awful SF novel I'm sure. It definitely has no correlation with the reality of WoW's situation.
    sure man, that's why I have constant frame drops in Pandaria on high(shadows on low, no AA) but I can play rift and GW2 just fine with max everything and 4x AA ...

so please do tell me how they require more resources than WoW... sure wow can be played on a potato... at the cost of looking like a potato... those newer games still look like something recent even if you play them on lowest settings.
    Last edited by Skorpionss; 2013-09-22 at 08:12 AM.

sure man, that's why I have constant frame drops in Pandaria on high(shadows on low, no AA) but I can play rift and GW2 just fine with max everything and 4x AA ...

so please do tell me how they require more resources than WoW... sure wow can be played on a potato... at the cost of looking like a potato... those newer games still look like something recent even if you play them on lowest settings.
    Maybe its because people are actually playing in Pandaria? Seriously though, I dunno, my computer from 2009 plays at steady frame rates on high settings. I'd say update drivers, but my iMac drivers are surely way behind windows drivers. Apple never releases driver updates.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercadi View Post
    theres alot of talent out there, and if blizzard allowed the playerbase to create custom content i think you would see a resurgence in subscribers.
    Hi

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Game engine needs to be updated using a Asus DirectCUII 7970 AMD FX 8350 32GB memory still having lag and FPS issues in raids is a big no no for a outdated game.

Quote Originally Posted by Danifilth View Post
    Game engine needs to be updated using a Asus DirectCUII 7970 AMD FX 8350 32GB memory still having lag and FPS issues in raids is a big no no for a outdated game.
    AMD processors sucks for all MMORPGs (GW2, SWToR & Rift included), that's your problem. Should've put more money on better CPU than excessive RAM.
    Trolling should be.