Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Making it more then eye candy would take it out of the "fluff" feature category. It has a possibility to be an actual end game, a sand box type thing. Wasting time on making it just eye candy is just as "time wasting" as developing it further and could of been used on other more popular aspects. When I mean popular, aspects that actually will see the light of day once your done.

It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't throw a buff station in there, that just shows its half assed. "Hey guys we want housing to be better, so here are buffs!" Instead of ya know making it like an actual house you built. A little something sweet to tide you over to the dessert that will never come.
    It just depends on what all it winds up being. For everyone of you or someone else who thinks it's a waste to just be a buff station, there's one of me who is interested just in customizing one and using it to help me level my additional classes (especially gathering/craftin) easier. If this is in before I've grown tired of the game, it will likely earn them some sub money from me so I can see more of the game.

If all I have waiting is an uphill slog through fate griding with nothing extra to do in sight, I may just quit playing and never pay them again. So, take that with a grain of salt because everything is appealing to someone. Housing is typically appealing to a lot of people who play these sorts of MMOs (RPG focus).
    BAD WOLF

I have yet to find a MMO with housing better then runescapes. Runescape is a low budget low graphics MMO yet its housing still trumps every housing I've seen in modern MMO's just because its interactive. Boxing rings, dungeons, making your own boss monsters and traps inside your house. It's fucking amazing. I spend hours at other peoples house partys because its so fun and engaging.
    "Its fucking amazing" is purely your opinion. That might appeal to some people but to myself and most the people I play MMOs with it would be a waste of time and resources. Something thats cool the first time and then never used again due to it being a "side game" and not contributing to my characters progression at all. If I wanted to do what you describe I would play other games that frankly would do it better.

But is FF14 housing just gonna be a "buff" station and is just gonna look pretty? If so that's a waste of development time imo and should be botched if the only thing housing is gonna do is "look pretty" (and visit once every hour to click an an icon for your buff boring) and it's going to be expensive? Yea I won't be touching this load of crap.
    I could take what you just said and turn it around regarding Runescape's housing which adds nothing to my characters progression in the game.

I think a company who has been in the final fantasy mmo business this long has an idea of what the majority of their customers would like to see in housing amd I don't believe what you describe would be remotely popular in this particular game.

10+ Year Old Account
    What's so bad about eye candy as something you can mess around with? Not everything has to serve a purpose that benefits only you.

Hell EQ2 had a guild housing system. It served some convenience purpose like crafting station, portals and such. However you didn't need to have Tier 3 for majority of the benefits.

Tier 3 is practically it's own city and people designed the living hell out of it. It's just 'fluff' but it's something some people love to do.

One of the few things that I found absolutely beautiful that was done with housing is this.
    4 houses, 1 Tier 3 guild house just for one kid with cancer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    For everyone of you or someone else who thinks it's a waste to just be a buff station, there's one of me who is interested just in customizing one and using it to help me level my additional classes
    This is pretty much it. Some people (a lot of people) just enjoy customizing their own home. They move things around, they add their personality, and they create an awesome place for themselves. I go back to Kitty's Skyrim mention from earlier. House customization was popular enough that Bethesda actually added their own DLC for it. It's just an activity that a lot of people enjoy. I don't care that I am essentially building a 'buff station', I am happy to spend time crafting or just chillaxing in a home I spent time developing.

Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    This is pretty much it. Some people (a lot of people) just enjoy customizing their own home. They move things around, they add their personality, and they create an awesome place for themselves. I go back to Kitty's Skyrim mention from earlier. House customization was popular enough that Bethesda actually added their own DLC for it. It's just an activity that a lot of people enjoy. I don't care that I am essentially building a 'buff station', I am happy to spend time crafting or just chillaxing in a home I spent time developing.
    I was more talking about after you finish decorating there isn't a use to be in your home except coming back every hour for a buff.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I was more talking about after you finish decorating there isn't a use to be in your home except coming back every hour for a buff.
    There's a risk of over rewarding housing activities to remove players from the world, but either way it goes I just don't see it as wasted development. MMOs have a habit of developing content that is obsolete months after use. At least the house will already serve a purpose beyond the first day you do it. Technically the entire leveling content, raids, dungeons, etc would all fall under similar categories.

What's the point of the dungeons you do while questing in FFXIV? Oh right, they are there for one quest and then you keep moving. *shrug* MMOs aren't very efficient by nature lol.

Edit:

As a solo player, I would love an over rewarded house. It's one of the features of Wildstar I'm looking forward to so much. It's also something I think SWTOR dropped the ball on. Super awesome personal ship that you do nothing but use as a glorified flight path. It had your bank, got updated to be able to add a mailbox and auction house, but still wasn't quit there.

I'm ok with a player home being the place you are at when you aren't actively playing the game. I think that would be great. I don't need some home base to watch everyone stand around AFK in. That's just arbitrary. Use player housing as what it is, the place you hang out in, and then motivate people to get in the world with real reasons.
    BAD WOLF

There are those of us who are never done decorating...

I personally hope that the housing has a kind of saved theme menu. Kind of like how you can save gear sets for your character and switch at the click of button I hope they do the same for houses.

Never done... Always decorating...

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    There are those of us who are never done decorating...

I personally hope that the housing has a kind of saved theme menu. Kind of like how you can save gear sets for your character and switch at the click of button I hope they do the same for houses.

Reason why I stopped playing animal crossing after the first one on gamecube.....there was no end to it, it will never look perfect.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilhelm137 View Post
    Reason why I stopped playing animal crossing after the first one on gamecube.....there was no end to it, it will never look perfect.
    I am somewhat ashamed to admit it, but what got me into PC gaming in the first place was The Sims 2. I spent way too much time just designing and decorating my homes, especially with all the mods. There's just something inherently fun about it to me. I am going to blame it on hormones.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilhelm137 View Post
    How my mind functions on pretty much any game that allows extensive customization.

And every time I am handed a new thing that is totally awesome and must be added to my house/wardrobe/whatever yet it doesn't match anything I currently have then the quest begins anew to get things that do match it! My void storage is full to bursting with trasmog gear! I own every house in Skyrim and still don't have enough room for my stuff! My entire sim neighborhood is full of palaces that are always under renovation!

MY MINECRAFT AND TERRARIA WORLDS ARE PLACES OF WONDER AND DESTRUCTION!

NEVER DONE! ALWAYS DECORATING!

10+ Year Old Account
    I was initially worried about money issues in FFXIV but for now I have found my niche selling materia (thank god for the DD FATE for SB farming). Unfortunately this source is entirely depndent on other players having money available which as people have mentioned that the money is moving to the upper crust and there isn't enough gil making options available in game at this time. I do wonder how much I myself am willing to spend on the housing, but I guess I will figure it out when the time comes.

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    That's how I am. Doesn't matter what game it is, if there is a house to design, I will never finish it. I will always find a way to make it better or add to it. This is how I was in The Sims, Minecraft, Terraria, Animal Crossing, literally every game that has housing in it that I've played. I don't ever really tire of it. There are people who aren't as into it though, so hopefully they are given reasons to have a player owned house too so that they can enjoy the fun.

Deleted
    Scroll down this link for Q&A of the patch.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodest...9cb7a43a2f00b2

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing in the notes about playing golf with Lalafell heads.
    You cared enough to post.

Deleted
    Or vanity gear system, I'm sad.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Infighter View Post
    Been multiple threads on the official forums where it's been talked about and a dev came in and said 2.2, 2.1 is too far into development at this point for them to add anything big like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Infighter View Post
    With the amount of people wanting it, it's bound to happen soon. Maybe not this patch, but it seems highly likely it'll be in the next one!

I guess it has already been posted some where, but any1 knows release date for 2.1 patch?
    Planing to start my first char soon, but is it worth it before patch?

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PalikkaZzz View Post
    I guess it has already been posted some where, but any1 knows release date for 2.1 patch?
    Planing to start my first char soon, but is it worth it before patch?
    Anything sooner than the end of this month/beginning of next month is laughable at best. There is however plenty to do starting a new character aslong as you do not rush endgame in a week like a lot of people did. If you start one now and actually take your time by the time you hit 50 there may or may not be a good chance the patch will be soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well the Lightning Fate is scheduled for November 14th.

I don't think 2.1 will come before that.