Anyone know offhand increase from upgrade?

If I went from a 930 at 4.2 ghz how much per core processing power (%) would I get from going haswell i5 at 4.6 ghz (per single core application)?

Also, what does the cache on the i7 help with?

Thanks,

-Nish
    I don't know everything about baseball. Most people don't know 'everything' about baseball. People fall into two two categories. Person A will, when they see I don't know something, try to explain it to me in detail so I understand it. Person B will use their knowledge to make me out to be stupid. Person B is no friend of mine.

~50 to 60%. Cache allows for faster retriveing of data, as it's accessed from cache instead than RAM.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

What would make me want to go i7 if I was going to turn HT off then? How much of a boost does this cache give you?

-Nish

P.S. Thanks btw.
    I don't know everything about baseball. Most people don't know 'everything' about baseball. People fall into two two categories. Person A will, when they see I don't know something, try to explain it to me in detail so I understand it. Person B will use their knowledge to make me out to be stupid. Person B is no friend of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Nish77 View Post
    What would make me want to go i7 if I was going to turn HT off then? How much of a boost does this cache give you?

-Nish

P.S. Thanks btw.
    It's really a minor difference. What's more important (and even that is pretty minimal) is that i7 are usually higher binned chips so disabling HT should let you overclock ~100-200mhz more.

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

10+ Year Old Account
    I should probably note... If you can afford the i7, what Fluor said is correct about the binning. However the benefit of that higher bin for the cost (~$100) is not worth it from a cost/performance ratio. I'd personally stick with the i5 but if money ain't no thang, then get the i7 for that marginal benefit.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I should probably note... If you can afford the i7, what Fluor said is correct about the binning. However the benefit of that higher bin for the cost (~$100) is not worth it from a cost/performance ratio. I'd personally stick with the i5 but if money ain't no thang, then get the i7 for that marginal benefit.
    The microcenter difference was like 60 bucks and they had a sale dropping 30 dollars off when you bought a motherboard so it makes it seem less expensive overall. I'm still thinking about it. The cpu/motherboard will be the last things I buy in the event I need to return them.

Kerbal Space Program is killing my computer atm D=

-Nish

Well I seem to have gotten a not so great chip. Not horrible, not great. I'm doing about 4.56 ghz at around 1.28 vcore. Temps should be fine no reason to delid the thing as I can't seem to push it any higher no matter what I do with voltage (1.3 vcore got me like .01 ghz).

I was considering swapping it and playing the cpu lottery but I will probably just keep it as I plan to upgrade to a Haswell-E when it comes out in a year and a half or so. This should be a pretty good upgrade from my old 930 till then.

Thanks for your help guys.

-Nish
    Last edited by Nish77; 2013-09-29 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nish77 View Post
    Well I seem to have gotten a not so great chip. Not horrible, not great. I'm doing about 4.56 ghz at around 1.28 vcore. Temps should be fine no reason to delid the thing as I can't seem to push it any higher no matter what I do with voltage (1.3 vcore got me like .01 ghz).

I was considering swapping it and playing the cpu lottery but I will probably just keep it as I plan to upgrade to a Haswell-E when it comes out in a year and a half or so. This should be a pretty good upgrade from my old 930 till then.

Thanks for your help guys.

-Nish
    That's.. About the same overclock I got. I decided to switch to 4.4@1.24 in order to keep temps in check anyways.

I'm using a noctua nh-d14. It's doing fairly well and I doubt I'll see all 4 cores going at 100 percent all the time so 80-85 degrees under stress is probably ok and it probably won't get that high unless it gets dusty.

-Nish

Edit: I might just Delid the thing now. I have the Coolaboratories Liquid Ultra sitting here. If it drops 15 degrees, I'll probably feel a little better.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey guys,

I was able to get a stable overnight and then after some tweaking 1-2hr run of AIDA64, however, when I tried to run hyperpi 32M to test ram, it crashed and nothing I could do would get it to not crash. I set everything to default and it looks like it's running fine now. Is there any suggestions anyone could make to get the thing stable at my OC with hyperpi 32M?

Thanks,

-Nish

P.S. I'm not too familiar with HyperPi but would running it at stock settings be a decent indicator of my memory being ok in general (if it passes)? For some reason, my Asus Bios reads the ram as best run at 1333 but xmp sets it to 1600 (which it was sold as 1600 ram <gskill sniper>). After loading the XMP, one of the things I tried to do was underclock the ram while cpu was overclocked. That still ended with a crash.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by Nish77; 2013-09-29 at 06:20 PM.

A offhand doesnt increase you dps that much as a MH would do

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    The point of the cache is to save the processor from having to request data from main memory which is relatively slow. So the cache really just duplicates what's in main memory.

The benefit of having a large cache depends on your workload. Ideally you want your entire dataset to fit in the cache so the processor never has to access main memory. Pass that point though, a larger cache makes no difference.

Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    The point of the cache is to save the processor from having to request data from main memory which is relatively slow. So the cache really just duplicates what's in main memory.

The benefit of having a large cache depends on your workload. Ideally you want your entire dataset to fit in the cache so the processor never has to access main memory. Pass that point though, a larger cache makes no difference.
    Ya that's an old post I'm just responding now with my new build and some questions.

Apparently, my ram doesn't want to work right with hyperpi if I don't have it set at 1600. That means no fiddling around with small changes in BCLK because it results in ram multipliers that cause odd frequencies (like 1613 or 1444). Those don't seem to work too well. Unfortunately, I was able to get a stable OC with a BCLK of 101 and 45 multiplier which got me just a bit over 4.55 Ghz. If I want the ram to be stable in hyperpi, I need to drop it back down to 100 and 45 multiplier for a straight 4.5 Ghz OC.

If anyone knows any tricks to get the ram to play nice with a BCLK a tad higher than 100, please let me know. I really don't want to go through the trouble of exchanging the ram through the mail D= I'm more considering swapping CPUs but that's a big headache. Imagine if I got a chip that I couldn't push past 4.2 without 1.3 vcore =(

Thanks,

-Nish

TBH I wouldn't even bother for such a small increase as 0.05 ghz. That's about... 1% more performance. I'd stay with the stable 4.5.

Ya that's what I'm going to do -_-.

Thanks,

-Nish

Just posting one last time. I got a stable overclock (the ram was tricky) at 4.5 Ghz with 1.293 Vcore. My Aida64 12 hour test showed a max temp of around 84 degrees. I just got done deliding it and used coollaboratory liquid pro and my temps now with Aida64 running are maxing at 65 degrees.

So, I think I'm gonna stick with that. I couldn't get the 46 multiplier to work with 1.31 Vcore and before deliding I was getting around 100 degrees while stress testing with that voltage (messing with the BCLK).

So, in summary, it seems I have gotten a middle of the road chip but should do fine with good temps at 4.5 Ghz. Thanks for all your help guys.

-Nish