Is it worth Prospecting?

I recently started trying to make gold using Jewelcrafting. I usually farm up around 1000 ghost iron ore, and prospect it, on a good day i might end up with 12 Vermillion Onyx, the highest selling gems.

But I've been beginning to wonder if it might just be more effective to sell the ore/bars themselves.

What do you guys think? Sell the ore/bars? Keep prospecting? Or maybe even prospect stuff and stockpile until Tuesday? Other suggestions?

Thanks.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    no server, no prices, not a single valid infomation

all i can say is "just sell the ores" because evidently you're not ready to enter a competitive market

Please don't post if you're going to be a jerk.

You didn't answer my question, and you didn't add anything useful.

If you absolutely "need" market values, why not post a hypothetical based off of your market values. You know, like the rest of the MMOC community that know how to post useful things.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyzen View Post

If you absolutely "need" market values, why not post a hypothetical based off of your market values. You know, like the rest of the MMOC community that know how to post useful things.
    Well we can't really say ANYTHING without knowing your servers economy...
    What do you make off the 1000 ores you prospect? Add it together and compare it to Ore/Bar prices. That's all we can say, but you should be able to figure that out yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Lushious View Post
    Well we can't really say ANYTHING without knowing your servers economy...
    What do you make off the 1000 ores you prospect? Add it together and compare it to Ore/Bar prices. That's all we can say, but you should be able to figure that out yourself
    I don't mind requests for market prices, what I do mind is how much a jerk someone thinks they need to be because some information was forgotten.

I just wanted to bounce ideas off MMOC, see what they think about stockpiling until tuesday, get some advice from people who aren't jerks (not calling you a jerk Lush). Whatever though, I guess I gave the MMOC community to much credit.

Deleted
    Ignorance is a bliss.
    As Destard said: You are not prepared. Just like in real life. You do not start own business without researching the market. You asking for advices so all we can say to you dear OP is to sell raw materials.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    oh ok, if you really want data without server values

every 5 ghost iron ores there's:
    - 0.235 of every green gem
    - 0.045 of every rare gem
    - 0.8 sparkling shard

now:
    - get the minimum price (the minimum price you want to sell those gems for, TheUndermineJournal can help monitorize your server situation to set a minimum price) for every single prospectable gem in your auction house (you can scan with Auctionator)
    - multiply the value of the minimum price of every gem for the amount of gems you get pet prospect (data above)
    - sum up all those results

if the total is above the ore cost on your server, it's worth prospecting

P.S. forgetting "some" information and "all" the information is a completely different thing (besides the number of Vermilion Onyx you got, which is an incorrect number in the long term as it should normalize to 9 every 1000 ghost iron ores, before transmutes)

Quote Originally Posted by Kyok View Post
    Ignorance is a bliss.
    As Destard said: You are not prepared. Just like in real life. You do not start own business without researching the market. You asking for advices so all we can say to you dear OP is to sell raw materials.
    You're right.

If the OP is not willing to at least research and provide some extremely basic info about the prices on his server then he is probably best suited by just selling the ore raw and let someone else figure it out and make the extra profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyzen View Post

Server economies vary. On some servers the shuffle is still profitable, on other servers it isn't. We would be doing you a disservice by giving you advice with what you've given us.

Personally I never gather, and arrange deals with people who do to take gathered things off their hands in bulk, and I tend to think time spent gathering can be better spent (although of course that can also vary depending on the server's economy/population), so I'd lean towards finding some use for the ore rather than just gathering it and selling it raw. But you do need to work it out for yourself, and part of that will be working out what you value your own time at, which we can't really do for you.
    Last edited by Windfury; 2013-09-22 at 08:52 AM.

Did bliz lower the chance for blue gems from ghost iron ores? Prospected 4 stacks yesterday and got ONE blue gem. Unlucky or they did something? I know it was small amount but I did not prospect long time and when I was doing this before I was getting atleast 1 blue gem from 1 stack.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamut View Post
    Did bliz lower the chance for blue gems from ghost iron ores? Prospected 4 stacks yesterday and got ONE blue gem. Unlucky or they did something? I know it was small amount but I did not prospect long time and when I was doing this before I was getting atleast 1 blue gem from 1 stack.
    I'd rather say you are unlucky. However only 16 prospects cannot really decide if some changes has been implemented. RNG is RNG can't fight with that

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    always been the same (or non-relevant changes) since MoP launch, 4 stacks is quite a small sample to test with ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Destard View Post
    always been the same (or non-relevant changes) since MoP launch, 4 stacks is quite a small sample to test with ^_^
    Unless we're talking Kyparite.

@op

go to https://theunderminejournal.com/cate...=jewelcrafting

A = Alliance
    H = Horde

Change Alexstrasza to your server

At the bottom of the page is the information you are looking for.