Poll: Stat Squish

Thread: Stat Squish

Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Stat Squish

Topic title explains it, what do you players think about it?

Infractions: 2

10+ Year Old Account
    Not fussed, will be some what weird to adjust to, but at the end of the day, it's more or less the same numbers.
    Currently Procrastinating

It's just a number adjustment. It shouldn't feel too different once any kinks are ironed out.

10+ Year Old Account
    it's needed i think, the numbers atm are crazee
    Hi

Best poll on the subject I've seen so far in regards to options given. We don't need it. Maybe in the far far future when moores law approaches its maximum theoretical limit, according to Seth Lloyd 5*10^50 calculations per second for a 1 KG computer would be the maximum theoretical limit for the mass of 1 KG computer. He did not specify the energy that would go into such a device, however, but fact of the mater is we have a long ways to go before it even comes close to maxing out, and as long as those working on computing keep advancing computing technology, unless Moores law stops stat squishing is not really needed.

WHAT is needed is giving players an option of cutting off the last 3 or 6 digits of a number.

I crit 539,392, instead I crit 539K

10+ Year Old Account
    Id would really like it but i wouldnt be surprised if its adjustable to the old scale by some interface option or addon
    i live by one motto! "lolwut?"

Quote Originally Posted by Alasuya View Post
    Best poll on the subject I've seen so far in regards to options given. We don't need it. Maybe in the far far future when moores law approaches its maximum theoretical limit, according to Seth Lloyd 5*10^50 calculations per second for a 1 KG computer would be the maximum theoretical limit for the mass of 1 KG computer. He did not specify the energy that would go into such a device, however, but fact of the mater is we have a long ways to go before it even comes close to maxing out, and as long as those working on computing keep advancing computing technology, unless Moores law stops stat squishing is not really needed.

WHAT is needed is giving players an option of cutting off the last 3 or 6 digits of a number.

I crit 539,392, instead I crit 539K
    They already do this, and there are addons to do it as well.

OT: No I wouldn't like it and so far it's not needed as far as the "it's too hard on peoples computers" arguement goes.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Inside View Post

OT: No I wouldn't like it and so far it's not needed as far as the "it's too hard on peoples computers" arguement goes.
    Cool I will check it out, but I'd still like Blizzard to have an option under interface in some future patch.

Deleted
    Stat squish would also make the leveling process smoother. First time stepping into BC/WotLK/Cata/MoP with quest gear from the previous expansion makes the starting zones quite difficult. If all these jumps were smoothed over, progression into the next expansion during leveling will feel more natural.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Inside View Post

Their argument at the moment isn't that it is hard on people's computers (though some of it IS the display quirks). GC noted they are reaching some kind of database limitation on a number of things. They could fix it, but as GC noted, it's a question of what they have to give up. Say they may need to put several hundred man hours (numbers are arbitrary, not real examples) into recoding significant parts of the database, then testing it, and there would be a lot less time for coding other things, or they can put several dozen man hours into it squishing numbers and letting their QA work out bugs so their coders can contribute to other parts of the expansion. It's sort of the reason I'm hoping there are no new races next expansion so their art/modeling teams can spend more time working on the old race model revamp.

So long as they maintain their insistence that tiers of gear need to have exponential scaling, we're either going to have to face some kind of squish every few expansions, or expect something will be lost as they recode things. While I'm not going to be thrilled about it, numbers are getting ridiculous. 1M HP Tanks? They're essentially Ragnaros that can wipe an entire 40 man raid group in one shot at this point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    TC: "If we don't do the item squish it's going to require a lot of re-engineering of our combat code to actually support bigger numbers. We're getting really close to the point where the code can't..."
    CS: "Yeah, the code can't compile the numbers"
    TC: "Yeah it can't compile the numbers, so we are testing the item squish internally with the expansion, and I think a good time to launch it would be right before the next expansion so people are already used to it by the time the expansion launches. So, that's the current plan, but we'll see how it works out. I hope we can." (Source)

Quote Originally Posted by Luneward View Post

So long as they maintain their insistence that tiers of gear need to have exponential scaling, we're either going to have to face some kind of squish every few expansions, or expect something will be lost as they recode things. While I'm not going to be thrilled about it, numbers are getting ridiculous. 1M HP Tanks? They're essentially Ragnaros that can wipe an entire 40 man raid group in one shot at this point.
    So? I don't see it as a problem. Seeing 1,000k does not take up more space on my screen than 10000

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    I'm wondering where the "I can't believe these sheep don't know anything about computer programming and actually want something that will only take man hours out of game development." vote spot is. Because between the people that have a chronic fear of numbers larger than they can count to and people that will honest to god swear on the bible in defense to anything Blizzard decides to say, I can't tell which group is more incorrect.

For the record, if you're running a pc from the year 2004, do us all a favor and stop wasting our time.

Oh, and also for the record, no, the item squish is wasted development time and will only end in countless streams of "hotfixing" and other nonsense, not to mention that the idea of big numbers being a problem and people who fear them is ludicrous in itself.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    TC: "If we don't do the item squish it's going to require a lot of re-engineering of our combat code to actually support bigger numbers. We're getting really close to the point where the code can't..."
    CS: "Yeah, the code can't compile the numbers"
    TC: "Yeah it can't compile the numbers, so we are testing the item squish internally with the expansion, and I think a good time to launch it would be right before the next expansion so people are already used to it by the time the expansion launches. So, that's the current plan, but we'll see how it works out. I hope we can." (Source)
    I chuckled when I read "We're getting really close to the point where the code can't compile the numbers". No, who am I kidding, I lost it in hysterical laughter at the stupidity.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think it is needed and wish for it to not change, however I believe it will happen regardless so w/e

10+ Year Old Account
    Where is the "Yes-but only if it means the iLvl delta between tiers shrinks" option?

Another thread about this... everybody has already expressed their opinions about it, I think this topic shouldn't have been started (again). Anyways, I'll go and repeat again: it's pretty much needed and I want it now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Been wanting it since WotLK.
    Sure, it's just numbers. But when you see big numbers flash over your screen in seconds, you are just aware that those where some big numbers. While if the numbers where brought down, you would recognize them much much easier and faster.

And to those using the "it's just numbers" argument, well surely the same is true for lower numbers as well. The relative power of your character has not changed, only the numbers displayed. And a squish is needed to make it easier on the eyes in the heat of battle IMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do we care, really?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    There's this concept called "fun." I know it's foreign to most of the people on this forum, but perhaps you should look into it; there's a school of thought that suggests it's integral to why people play games.

Quote Originally Posted by Narna View Post
    Not fussed, will be some what weird to adjust to, but at the end of the day, it's more or less the same numbers.
    Basically this. If a mob today has 300,000 hp and I hit him for 30,000 dmg, that isn't any different than the mob having 30,000 hp and me hitting him for 3,000 dmg. The only thing anti-squish people seem to be arguing is that the big numbers are cool. While I agree, so long as my soloing adventures remain unhindered, I'm down with it.

Quote Originally Posted by LeyrHao View Post
    Another thread about this... everybody has already expressed their opinions about it, I think this topic shouldn't have been started (again). Anyways, I'll go and repeat again: it's pretty much needed and I want it now.
    Yes but this poll is created very well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wildberry View Post
    Where is the "Yes-but only if it means the iLvl delta between tiers shrinks" option?
    They already made it clear old content difficulty would not be compromised. It's all about concerns over numbers and development time.