Page 3 of 109 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    That is an absurd hope and I hope you realize that.

They don't make performance leaps like that anymore.

Just look at the GTX 580 to 680, that was a totally different architecture. One could make a case for the GTX 780, but the 780 is an entirely different chip from the 680 and costs $650 as opposed to the ~$500 launch prices for the 580 and 680.

30%? Try 15% tops.
    I really hope that isn't the case though :/
    Looking at slides on maxwell we should expect a huge leap of performance as seen here: http://hothardware.com/newsimages/It...c_roadmap1.jpg
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    well i'd say overpricing the value of those games would be for starters.
    i mean deducting the high value of free games from the retail price makes no sense.
    everytime those bundles come around there are plenty of people who don't use them and sell them for bargain prices making the actual value of the free games allot less. (tomb raider and bioshock infinite +- $100 being sold for 25 euro's and alike)
    i just wished they stopped with those bundles all together, people are looking to buy a gpu , no whatever x,y,z or other random shit comes with it. (games, backplates anything else?)
    Even if the value is lower than you believe it to be it's still a bonus. We can't assume this bundle is taking away from development of new stuff. I don't understand why it's so important to discredit AMD for doing so.

You say people are looking to buy a GPU, not games or whatever else they might have to offer. Here is the thing it seems (to me anyways) you don't understand, the AMD cards (not all of them) are already cheaper before the games bundle, with similar performance so it really is a bonus...

a payment or gift added to what is usual or expected, in particular.

So if you have already decided on an AMD because it fits your performance needs and your budget then you should see this as a bonus.

Granted some of this is rumors so takes this statement with a grain of salt, you say this games bundle takes away from other development and is in place to lure people into buying their products, you've seen the new cards they're releasing soon and you've seen the rumored performance isn't that a sign of their development going just fine?

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    3 free old games (except Saints Row 4).

The mistake you're making is that free things aren't actually free.

As a consumer, I much rather AMD spend their cash developing technology instead of handing out free games.
    Because we have to assume the never settle bundle influences AMD's development, right? Like we know that for a fact, I assume?

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've seen that slide with Maxwell, I just try to remain not overly-optimistic. I got optimistic about Bulldozer like so many others, and like so many others... was quite disheartened.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Either way, 20nm won't be ready untill Q3 next year.Also Rumors are already flying around that Maxwell will be 28nm.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rning/advanced
    i5-3570k @ 4.4ghz - R9-280X @ 1150Mhz on stock voltage - 8GB of DDR3 Ram @ 1866Mhz

Anyone got ideas when exactly are these released? This year still or?.. I'd like to upgrade my GPU(580 atm) for BF4. Was looking at 770 but now that I saw this thread, might go with the "8970"(the best AMD GPU of that generation?) if AMD still prices them lower than Nvidia.

10+ Year Old Account
    It will launch before BF4, I can assure you that.

Oct 18 seems very likely.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

I'll wait for that then for my purchase.. I assume PCI-E 2.0 doesn't cause an issue with these GPUs(being slower and shiz)?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Toffie View Post
    It will launch before BF4, I can assure you that.

Oct 18 seems very likely.
    Fantastic! Better try to pre-order one...

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, TSMC isn't in the same position as they were with the 680, so at least the yield is not low at the moment.

There will probably be a shortage on these cards for a bit, but nothing that extreme...

As for PCI-E 2.0, shouldn't be an issue. GTX 690s on PCI-E 2.0 only lose about 5%~ performance in comparison to 3.0, if I remember right.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by mercs213 View Post
    Don't think you can pre-order a graphics card? First come, first serve when they are available for purchase. Most get sold out fast and vendors are out of stock for weeks when there is high demand for them. Kinda like with the the GTX 680. We will see...
    I don't think AMD had delivery chain problems with the 7970 release.

Deleted
    Don't think you can pre-order a graphics card? First come, first serve when they are available for purchase. Most get sold out fast and vendors are out of stock for weeks when there is high demand for them. Kinda like with the the GTX 680. We will see...
    You can actually pre-order. It depends on the shops whether or not they list it before it launching date. But I think shops get more info about pricing a couple of weeks before launch.

Me personally, I wouldnt pre-order a GPU. I would first want to see some actual benchmarks to see if its worth the money.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree, Zeara, and after the initial Intel Sandy Bridge issues with the P67 chipset and SATA II, I'm extremely cautious about buying right away into anything, especially that costs so much money.
    "A flower.

I don't buy 40-60 dollar computer games before they've been out for a month, no way I'm breaking that rule for a graphics card that costs ten times as much as that. Heck, I don't go to see movies until people say they're worth the money.

Well, the unveiling is on Hawaii, so probably in the morning there (so mid to late evening our time).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Either way, not long to wait now. I'd expect the usual sites to be flooded with review the moment that NDA lifts (anyone know what time and timezone that'll be at exactly, think it's been mentioned but it's been a weird few days for me).
    8 PM England time I believe.

Streaming link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHfmM6QYWNM
    Last edited by Toffie; 2013-09-24 at 06:48 AM.

what about new midrange cards?
    I could use a new GPU for BF4, but certainly not a 600$ one.

About the whole % performance debate, it has always been this way.

All 3 companies Intel/AMD/Nvidia do some major release every ~3-3.5 years or so which the architecture changes completely and the difference in Performance surpasses the 30% in one generation which is -rare-.

They did that with Q6600, compared to the Pentiums before, followed Sandy Bridge compared to 1st generation i7 and now we need to wait and see in the next year and a half if they will put out something 30% faster than Haswell to actually upgrade.

Nvidia is the same, if i recall 580 was 20-25% faster than 480 while it run much better in terms of power/heat/noise ratio in a very minimal amount of time between releases, Maxwell or 880 if they follow the pattern is probably gonna be 30% faster than a Titan if they go as they usually do, but you never know with tech stuff ;D

Now we just need to see what AMD will deliver compared to 7970 Ghz Edition, if their 600$ card is 30% faster than that, then they did a good job.

I'm just trying to base my pre-order choice on what we have seen now and before from AMD. They usually have cheaper GPUs compared to Nvidia and BF4 will have better driver support most likely for AMD.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doylez View Post
    what about new midrange cards?
    I could use a new GPU for BF4, but certainly not a 600$ one.
    Their midrange is a refreshed 7970 at a lower price I believe.

5 hours, 20 minutes!

Things are getting out of control!
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rning/advanced
    i5-3570k @ 4.4ghz - R9-280X @ 1150Mhz on stock voltage - 8GB of DDR3 Ram @ 1866Mhz