Deleted
    Ah yeah, missed that bit. I guess it will also be on 28mm tho... Which is understandable if Nvidia will launch their 800 series on 28mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    Ah yeah, missed that bit. I guess it will also be on 28mm tho... Which is understandable if Nvidia will launch their 800 series on 28mm.
    20nm won't be ready for volume production till late 2014 or early 2015.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    So I have had a Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 for a while now and I notice it gets pretty hot running on air while playing games that are really working it. Star Citizen on high pushes it beyond 70 degrees with only like 100 MHz on both the memory and core clock speeds being increased. Would it be wise to put it on water cooling?

10+ Year Old Account
    Screw TSMC, someone needs to get Intel to open up its process advantage to GPUs, which btw help sell PCs with Intel CPUs. Then one of them could just jump to 14nm like a boss.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    Screw TSMC, someone needs to get Intel to open up its process advantage to GPUs, which btw help sell PCs with Intel CPUs. Then one of them could just jump to 14nm like a boss.
    My brain hurts. Did I miss something?
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tielknight View Post
    My brain hurts. Did I miss something?
    Scroll up to the part where 20nm GPUs are delayed because TSMC cant get their shit together. So get Intel to open up their superior process tech and make some 14nm gpus!
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Gotcha.

And you would need a miracle to get Intel to do anything like that. Maybe if someone threw enough money at them they would
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

Intel did open up their fabs for ARM production, at a premium price of course.

Scroll up to the part where 20nm GPUs are delayed because TSMC cant get their shit together. So get Intel to open up their superior process tech and make some 14nm gpus!
    No one can keep up with Intel when it comes to manufacturing CPU/GPU silicon. Not TSMC, not GF, not Samsung.

The industry will probably catch up with them when we hit the wall of silicon and Intel actually doesn't have an alternative (Samsung might be the first with graphene chips).

So you are looking at 2020 for a possible end of Intels dominance in the production of semiconductors.

Deleted
    more news, this is more interesting, global foundries seems to be AMDs advantage

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...php?t=18608657

Just to add to the above.

Tonga, a name you should already be familiar with, is a new mid-range processor that will replace Tahiti core in August. Even though it will have smaller frame buffer and shorter bus, it is reported to be actually faster than Tahiti PRO variant, but not as fast as Tahiti XT.

Tonga is reportedly equipped with 32 Compute Units, which should result in 2048 Stream Cores. Radeon based on Tonga will feature 2GB GDDR5 memory and 256-bit interface.

It is yet unknown if the card will be named under R9 280 or R9 270 series, but it’s quite clear that this model is not among the fastest.

Tonga could be the first GPU manufactured by Global Foundries, it is expected to be much more power efficient, and thus, less power hungry.
    Something to compete with the likes of the 750 ti perhaps?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tielknight View Post
    Something to compete with the likes of the 750 ti perhaps?
    Im assuming you mean more along the lines of a 860?

As it stands now, it will compete with either the 760 or 770. Im wondering if it also has true audio and if crossfire works via the PCIe lanes (so not using a bridge).

This looks interesting.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...5350,3850.html

25W TDP. I have a feeling that chip is going to be pretty handy for those booksized PCs.

Deleted
    bit of a necro, but this all ties in with this thread

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...php?t=18623512

interesting, had theories this could happen personally, but may happen, more interested if this goes ahead, this would mean the reference design would cause the partner boards would have to do something radically different with their coolers or its a point where the reference cooler would mean its the best cooler (most expensive maybe).

Quote Originally Posted by Thorianrage View Post

interesting, had theories this could happen personally, but may happen, more interested if this goes ahead, this would mean the reference design would cause the partner boards would have to do something radically different with their coolers or its a point where the reference cooler would mean its the best cooler (most expensive maybe).
    Saw that earlier today. Silicon quality and overclocking thingies will still make aftermarket designs stand out, as will the fact that many won't have a 'free' 120mm slot where a radiator would fit. Per card.

I personally think it's a great improvement and would think it worth the price-premium. Also supports overclocking

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorianrage View Post

That look reminds me of something else...
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Saw that earlier today. Silicon quality and overclocking thingies will still make aftermarket designs stand out, as will the fact that many won't have a 'free' 120mm slot where a radiator would fit. Per card.

I personally think it's a great improvement and would think it worth the price-premium. Also supports overclocking
    If you had more than one of them, couldn't you take a screwdriver and a carpet knife to it and make a single loop with your own radiator on it?