Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

SoO Progression, Heroic Norushen Changes, Blue Tweets, Poll: PvE Content, Fan Art

Artisan Showcase: "Leah the Diablo" by Sheh, Demonize Your Digital Closet, Curse Weekly Roundup

Siege of Orgrimmar Heroic Progression
    Method is still leading progress with 12/14 bosses down now, followed by Blood Legion, also at 12/14. There are now 12 guilds at 11/14. Over in the 10 player column, Paragon is currently leading with 12/14 bosses down, followed by 3 other guilds at 11/14.

Manaflask got a count of 195 pulls on Blackfuse from Paragon in order to down the boss!

Heroic Norushen Changes
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    I entirely understand the frustration felt by guilds that have already defeated Heroic Norushen this week, or invested significant time attempting his current incarnation. It's never particularly enjoyable to have to relearn a fight you've already defeated and from which you've already received loot and an achievement. Changing an encounter meaningfully once it's in players' hands is not an action we take lightly. I'd like to offer a few general points of clarification:

First, we did read and closely consider all feedback received as a result of Norushen PTR testing. We made a number of adjustments to the encounter as a result of both player feedback and our own observations over the course of testing. Notably, we removed the Draw mechanic that was present for most of the PTR testing cycle, since it caused players to have to throttle their damage as their gear and execution improved. That mechanic was originally added to completely shut down any chance of a brute-force approach, but we believed that the damage penalty from the initial Corruption would be sufficient to require players to use Look Within to purify themselves in order to meet the berserk timer. Clearly we were mistaken, and I'd like to personally apologize for that.

Second, we are not looking to meaningfully increase the difficulty of the encounter. It should, on balance, be a small to moderate step up in difficulty from Heroic Fallen Protectors, and should be easier than Sha of Pride. While we're still iterating on the exact changes, they will likely entail something along the lines of entirely removing the additional pulsed Corruption received from Burst of Anger and Residual Corruption, increasing players' starting Corruption to 75 as is the case on Normal, and adjusting the health of the Amalgam accordingly. We don't expect that most guilds that defeat the encounter this week will experience any notable struggles with the revised version.

Third, in keeping with the general philosophies laid out in the Encounter Tuning Dev Watercooler, a major factor when it comes to deciding whether to make changes to address an unintended strategy is whether the approach actually involves interesting gameplay. Yes, a really tight Patchwerk-style DPS check absolutely can be fun even without any other mechanics involved, and many players had nailbiting kills and wipes on the encounter this week. But in a few more weeks, with a bit more gear, that fun would largely be gone. And for the healers that most raid groups benched in order to add damage-dealers to meet the DPS check, it likely was never there to begin with. Ultimately, this is a change made for the sake of the thousands of guilds that have yet to attempt the encounter, but will in the future. To those who are experiencing the disruption of having the boss change mid-progress, I again apologize. There are many parallels to our handling of Heroic Primordius (and, yes, those parallels do begin with us screwing up the tuning in the first place).

Finally, I've seen a few references in this thread, and elsewhere, to Thok. The change made to Thok last week was entirely a bugfix. Based on our final days of Raid Finder testing on PTR, we decided to completely disable the Acceleration mechanic that increases Thok's energy generation in Raid Finder, since he changes phases based on health % thresholds in that mode. That change inadvertently removed the mechanic from all difficulties, and the 20-hour time period for which the bug was active represents the time it took us to track down the cause, implement a fix, and test that fix before applying it to the live environment. Thok's current energy regen rate is identical to the values seen for the better part of PTR testing. Had we changed nothing, Thok would have been the easiest encounter in the zone rather than one of the more challenging ones, and we are always going to fix bugs that completely trivialize raid encounters. That was a bug that we fixed ASAP. The upcoming Norushen adjustments, however, are design changes that we're going to roll out along with raid resets next week so that they affect everyone equally.

Blue Tweets
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Item Level Squish
    so essentially everything will feel the same? We'll just be putting out smaller numbers?
    Exactly. If it takes you 6 seconds to kill a level 90 mob, it still will post squish. (Source)

is there no sense at all that 30 ilvls per tier or equivalent is excessive?
    At max level, no. If the numbers don't jump by that amount, the gear feels like side grades. (Source)

Raid Finder
    Why delay it? But OK for normal/heroic to blaze through everything in one week.
    Your argument would be apples to apples if only 1% of LFR players would blaze through in one week. (Source)

Have you ever thought about ex: "You were present the entire fight, here's an extra bonus roll" in LFR to deter afks?
    Yeah, we just have to be careful about detecting that to not punish legit players. (Source)

Hey Greg, any thoughts on gating LFR wings more heavily in future expansions? Influence people to try organized raiding(?).
    What we have found historically is the LFR players just don't raid, or even don't play if there isn't enough content. (Source)
    We'd love to encourage more players to try organized raiding, but I think we have to lure them in, not beat them in. (Source)

Your purposely trying to push aside people that use LFR as there only means to see content. Way to stick people in a box.
    I'm confused. That's not what we're trying to do. (Source)
    We would like someone who has run many LFRs to consider Flex for better loot now that they know the fights pretty well. (Source)
    Why? If i am happy in lfr why do you want to push me out of it?
    Because it provides you more content. Compare: Run LFR until finished vs. Run LFR until finished, THEN run Flex. (Source)

PvP
    You got a mess on your hands with mobs of 40-50 blood coin raids killing people tryin to farm coins. Huge backlash.
    You only earn coins on KBs (by design) so forming big raids isn't super efficient. (Source)

on the topic of PVP being a battle to balance, why not take a queue from Riot and do very small, weekly changes?
    It's just a different approach. LoL has 4ish abilities per champion, so you are rarely re-learning whole rotations when they patch. (Source)
    For us, small number tweaks rarely cause major differences in PvP. Things like CC, survival or burst move the meter more. (Source)

Regarding PvP? Don't listen to forums. Try to get some in depth from established, skilled legitimate players
    We actually do, but that doesn't help the 99% out there who want to be heard but have their message get lost in the noise. (Source)
    Trust your own experienced developers instead of forums. Cant democratize art. Too Many Cooks Spoil the Broth
    We agree, and this isn't a democratic process, but we do like to gather feedback to make informed decisions. (Source)
    The process of gathering feedback is made less efficient when players over-reward shallow points or squelch dissent. (Source)

so why does below 90 pvp don't matter? hunters disc, dks all broken, fix their scaling for 85+ please op/not fun/imbalanced
    It matters. It just matters less than max level, which is what by far most players express concern about. (Source)

How is that any different from normal pvp gear being required to compete in pvp?
    Presumably a PvP legendary would come with a process more involved than normal Conq gear. (Source)
    Which makes me ask what would the motivation for PvP gear taking longer to acquire? (Source)

Proving Grounds
    in Top100 healers on proving grounds there are only 5 priests, dont you find it a bit strange for class with 2 healing specs?
    Like any encounter, the specific PG mechanics are more favorable to some specs than others. (Source)
    We could make spec-specific tweaks, but does that violate the spirit of PG? (Source)

Timeless Isle
    The albatross taxi service on timeless isle is the single most frustrating and annoying thing implemented in WoW.
    If that's truly the case, then I'd say we're doing pretty well overall. (Source)
    Also a sad commentary that players would rather kill something than see another player benefit from it. (Source)

do you think the emperor shaohao rep is a little over bearing? Or is there something missing, daily quests not giving rep..
    Path of the Mistwalker will soon provide some rep. Overall though that rep is intended as a long term goal and investment. (Source)

Poll: Best World PvE Content
    Which patch had the best daily quests and solo / small group content so far? Feel free to share what you liked (and didn't like) in the comments!

Fan Art Update
    The World of Warcraft Fan Art Section has been updated with new pieces of fan artwork.

Last edited by chaud; 2013-09-22 at 08:49 PM.

I'm honestly shocked that 5.4 is the most favoured in the poll :\

Deleted
    Yeah, 5.4 is just a mess with barely anything to do in it. I enjoyed 5.1 the most, loved those unique quests every couple days that actually moved the story along and expanded on specific characters of my faction.

5.2 Isle of Thunder progression should just apply to all zones, for example: have about 5 max-lvl zones with 4 closed and 1 available for progression, after a week or two (like thunder isle) the realm would complete the zone and move onto the next. The last zone would be unlocked just in time before the next patch with 2 more zones!

This poll is skewed toward 5.4 only because it's still new.

Wait til people have been on the isle for a couple months, and they'll realize there is so little to do.

Throne of Thunder and the daily island was the best, even though nothing this expansion was really "great."

Where's the option for preferred sunwell island.

Looks like Blood Legion is now 12/14 as well. Can't post link, but happened around 27 minutes ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I thought 5.2 was the strongest for non-raiders. That said, the lack of any new dungeons (and lack of them in general) has left the entire expansion feeling a little hollow.

Norushen is broken not because it's a DPS check, but because you can simply zerg the boss and completely ignore any of the mechanics that the designers clearly intended you do use.

You're SUPPOSED to send people down to cleans their corruption so they can come back and do more damage, but as the fight stands right now, you can just use 4-5 healers, stack and DPS the boss down while completely ignoring the intended mechanics. People aren't upset that it's an easily doable DPS check (for non-bads) people are upset that you can literally ignore half the fight.

Halaa was by far awesome.. i love that pvp area, it just needed more things to buy and what not.. other then that it was epic battles. Also zone had its own arena which was awesome

That poll is skewed right now because timeless isle is fresh while everything else had a long cycle. I'd be willing to bet in 6 months that poll will have drastically different results. Timeless isle doesn't seem like it has nearly the longevity of isle of thunder's server coop gating. you can only grind out rares and mobs for so long before it's mindless and boring. I think timeless isle will prove that it's a nice experiment for short term content but it doesn't against the trial of time. I think they need to find a middle ground between timeless isle and isle of thunder to get it right.

What is so bad about the gear feeling like sidegrades? It seems like it's very important to the devs to make clear cut delineations between tiers, instead of actually encouraging people to progress at their own pace. If there was only say a 6-iLevel difference between tiers (as opposed to 13 like present, not counting Heroic and Thunder/Warforged), why is that such a bad thing?

Mix the daily system of 5.1, the scenarios and questing from 5.2, and the exploration stuff of 5.4 and I'd be very happy. Maybe throw in a one-time quest like the Barrens.

Deleted
    There's just too many daily quests this expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really thought that 5.1 and 5.2 would be the strongest contenders. 5.4 Timeless Isle? It's just an exploration island with no story behind it.
    Alayea - Enhance/Resto (Main) Lithala - BM Gekkani - Holy/Shadow
    Mathrie - Fury/Prot Mayae - Resto/Bal Elita - Frost/Blood
    Chrystie - Frost Draika - Combat Ioreth - Ret/Prot
    Vexbolt - Destruction Yin - WW/MW Yolis
    Urwenn

10+ Year Old Account
    I like the storyline of 5.1, the solo scenarios of Thunder Isle, and the chaotic killing of rares/minor quests leading around the Timeless Isle. Hated the repetitive dailies in 5.1, didn't bother with them on Thunder Isle because assumed they were also repetitive and dull. The battlefield barrens wasn't terrible, but the feeling of grinding was compounded on those quests requiring items off kills, the way timeless isle handles this is better.

If they can combine a great story like the one during 5.1 with a solo scenario experience like isle of thunder, and provide rare killing of timeless isle (plus a few dailies to complement the action happening), it would be fantastic.

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    5.4 adds the most griefing, not the most world pvp.

Timless isle complete shit, I want damn dailes back with story telling

The story of patch 5.1 was amazing, so much so that I even did dailies most days to see more of it. And I abhor dailies, I consider them the absolute worst and laziest kind of content in almost any game I've ever played.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleom View Post
    Norushen is broken not because it's a DPS check, but because you can simply zerg the boss and completely ignore any of the mechanics that the designers clearly intended you do use.

You're SUPPOSED to send people down to cleans their corruption so they can come back and do more damage, but as the fight stands right now, you can just use 4-5 healers, stack and DPS the boss down while completely ignoring the intended mechanics. People aren't upset that it's an easily doable DPS check (for non-bads) people are upset that you can literally ignore half the fight.
    lol, then do it in 10m....

Lobo Panda is here to mess everyone up again.