Deleted

Sharding small upgrades.

So last night we sharded http://www.wowhead.com/item=104308/a...d-soaked-robes. I'm running http://www.wowhead.com/item=103802 and it is very much in the realms of 'could be an upgrade but very very unlikely to be'. (I need to keep 4 piece but can use 1 slot for offspec whilst I build to T16 4 pc) Whereas our shadowpriest is running the Haste/Mastery i543 chest from Hc ToT.

Now I know it drops an 'ideal' stat of his, haste but surely it is a dps increase for him over his current chest.

The loot system of the guild I am in normally works well but it really annoys me to see stuff getting sharded when it is an upgrade. Am I wrong ? How would other guilds handle this. We use dkp btw with a min bid of 200 and generally get 200/raid.

Deleted
    Not necessarily. While I'm not entirely up to date on spriest (at all) I do know that they can't always take a higher ilvl item if it drops them below certain haste plateus.

Did your shadow priest bid on it, and it still got sharded, or did he refuse to bid on it for it being a small upgrade?

If it's the former, then I think something's wrong with your loot system. If it's the latter, perhaps he's not so fussed about it for a possible number of reasons. He might be waiting for tier chest, not wanting to break 4p/2p, not having enough VP to upgrade it to make it more useful etc.

Besides, as long as your guild is not selling the Spirits of War, but rather giving them to people so they can craft the epics, people still get upgrades out of it.
    "Such insolence... such arrogance... must be PUNISHED!"

My current guild uses the standard 'don't be a douche' system (we're 10man) need over greed and i can honestly say i really prefer it over any sort of point system. Though i can understand 25's using some sort of system just because of the constant coming and going of players.

Though i think it should have gone to someone who would have used it if they didn't have to use their points.. cause it just seems like a waste to shard it that way..
    Last edited by itsdub; 2013-09-23 at 09:56 AM.

Deleted
    It wasn't an upgrade for anyone else actually. I'll take Spacebubble's comment onboard at any rate

15+ Year Old Account
    It's a terrible loot system.

He should be taking it even if he doesn't use it immediately. He obviously didn't want to waste DKP on some gear he wasn't going to use right away so you've ended up wasting something which could be useful to him later.

We also use the "don't be a dick" system - for 10 man it should be enough. Most of the time there is only going to be one or two people who can use the drops anyway. If you can't decide amongst two people without drama, you have deeper problems.
    Last edited by Daedelus; 2013-09-23 at 10:44 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crete View Post
    My current guild uses the standard 'don't be a douche' system (we're 10man) need over greed and i can honestly say i really prefer it over any sort of point system. Though i can understand 25's using some sort of system just because of the constant coming and going of players.

Though i think it should have gone to someone who would have used it if they didn't have to use their points.. cause it just seems like a waste to shard it that way..
    Our guild uses "be a douche" system. We have people who roll on everything if its even a small upgrade, even though it could be a huge upgrade for someone else. No point passing loot when the other people surely won't do the same for you.

Deleted
    Happened all the time when we were using DKP, but even now once in a while you see players that simply do not want to spend the money to enchant/regem/reforge a piece of equip that gives around 1k more dps.

Quote Originally Posted by Weightlifter View Post
    Our guild uses "be a douche" system. We have people who roll on everything if its even a small upgrade, even though it could be a huge upgrade for someone else. No point passing loot when the other people surely won't do the same for you.
    So move guild then. All you do is moan about them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    So move guild then. All you do is moan about them.
    I wish it was that easy to find a new guild and get a spot there.

PS: Are you stalking me?

There are problems with every loot system, none is without flaw. One of DKP's problem is the fact that it incentivizes hoarding points for the largest upgrade(tier/weapons/trinkets/etc), but there are problems with other loot systems as well. You can't have a perfect system.

the minimum bid is a mistake. Sharding anything that could be a upgrade to anyone is a mistake. It's not that the shards are worth much.
    Ecce homo ergo elk

Under a DKP system however that makes collusion an issue; imagine a situation in a 25m where the only 2 or 3 priests decide they will set a rotation for who gets what gear, so they don't spend any DKP, then they get all the weapons/trinkets/tier first since they don't spend DKP on small upgrades only they can use. When you don't have people spending DKP on small upgrades it can also cause problems. I'm not saying one way is worse or better, I'm just pointing out that every system has its flaws and benefits and to focus on the flaws without acknowledging the benefits isn't fair to the system.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadinar View Post
    There are problems with every loot system, none is without flaw. One of DKP's problem is the fact that it incentivizes hoarding points for the largest upgrade(tier/weapons/trinkets/etc), but there are problems with other loot systems as well. You can't have a perfect system.
    I agree but I don't ee the point in hoarding DKP to buy tier. Tier is guaranteed to drop at some point and eventually the token will go to you regardless of your DKP (plus bonus rolls and flex if you're truly desperate to make a set). Trinkets and weapons however, ya.

I think someone else hit upon a good point also. It encourages to people to pass on minor upgrades that would still be beneficial to progress.

Glad I'm in a 10 man group that can handle loot distribution maturely and without drama.