Thread: Norushen DPS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadde111 View Post
    We run best dps and a healer for first, second best dps and healer for second and then just roll dps.

Just focus the boss if you are cleansed and let uncleansed dps handle adds. Lust when enough dps has been in the event thingy. Somewhere around 50% or so when people also will be getting their cds back.
    There's your problem. Don't send healers in at all. (We don't, at least.) We send a tank and a DPS, then a tank and a DPS, then the rest of the DPS. Never had trouble with Norushen.

Sending your two best DPS with the first two orbs will give you a dramatic boost in DPS for two reasons. One, it obviously clears their corruption as soon as possible. Two, it gives allows your other DPS to spend all their time on the many adds, upon which they do full dps despite their corruption. The side bonus is that it shifts the difficulty to the beginning of the fight, which shortens wipes.

Quote Originally Posted by markdall View Post
    There's your problem. Don't send healers in at all. (We don't, at least.) We send a tank and a DPS, then a tank and a DPS, then the rest of the DPS. Never had trouble with Norushen.
    This is hardly a problem, tanks can easily do 250k+ dps on this fight, probably more than most single target DPS, having them soak is a pretty hefty DPS loss.

We only use four pairs of orbs:

1. DPS+DPS (one kills their big add first, the other kills their big add last, to minimise overlap) - a tank and healer 1 soak orbs
    2. DPS+healer 1, healer 2 soaks the orb
    3. DPS+healer 2, healer 3 soaks the orb
    4. DPS+healer 3, healer 2 soaks the orb

and the remaining orbs are soaked by healers 2 & 3. Healer 1 stays purified throughout.

We never bother sending tanks down - there's no need, and since their trial is always a full minute, it's suboptimal to send them. Healers get out faster.

Couple things that helped us;

- DPS never absorb a purple orb before going down, it means an additional add down below, longer time that player is not up top, more adds up top
    - assign Heals/Tank to one side for orbs, DPS to other
    - DPS rotate thru their orb ASAP, aka we send #1 DPS and Tank down first, our #2 DPS and Healer second, etc... however our #2 DPS is usually back before our #1 Tank is, by the time the 5 DPS have rotated thru, we still have one healer yet to go down. Once that healer is back we are mid 40% range and pop hero

I put myself as last DPS to go, and I call out next people for each side , which greatly improves our speed at cycling thru. For example as soon as I see first big add spawning "<name> your next", when I see orb "<name> get down". The other reason I go last is that we all could logically go #2-#5, however that person who gets #5 feels inferior, it helps diffuse un-needed drama.

We go:

DPS/Healer
    DPS/Healer
    DPS/DPS
    DPS/Tank
    DPS/Tank

One shotted the first progression kill this way with 30+ seconds to spare.

Our Group does the following, something important to note I'm in the first group and we do a something specific. So that the large adds do not spawn together immediately off the bat making damage too high, I kill the large add the second I spawn in the room. The other dps kills the large add after all his small adds are dead. Additionally I pre-pot at the start of the fight plus hit Bestial Wrath the second I hit the phased room. I blow the add up in like 2 globals, and kill the other 3 in less that 10 seconds. Thus I'm back in the main room helping kill the adds before too many have even spawned.

Dps/Dps
    Tank/Dps (who both pick up the first two orbs)
    Tank/Dps (the tank picks up the 3rd orb)
    Dps (he grabs the orb)

You can send a healer in, I just think we didn't because we don't send anyone sub 50%. Pop Bloodlust at 25% and coordinate raid cds for the final 3 add spawning. Typically tanks take the orbs for the adds spawning every 10%. If they can't take any more the lowest dps picks them up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadde111 View Post
    We run best dps and a healer for first, second best dps and healer for second and then just roll dps.

Just focus the boss if you are cleansed and let uncleansed dps handle adds. Lust when enough dps has been in the event thingy. Somewhere around 50% or so when people also will be getting their cds back.
    Why do people keep acting like 50% is a magic number on this fight? 50% is great if you're a heroic beard guild clearing normal Norushen. For everyone else, it's kind of dumb. Because the damage ramps up, it is most useful to healers (and not a sacrifice to DPS) to save hero until later. I recommend more like 35%, which gives you more time to cleanse everyone. In fact, it's probably best to reserve it as long as you can as long as you use the full duration of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Taiyoken View Post
    This is hardly a problem, tanks can easily do 250k+ dps on this fight, probably more than most single target DPS, having them soak is a pretty hefty DPS loss.
    Considering that on our first HC kill our tanks came in 1st and 3rd on the damage meters (by ~20k above and 5k below our top DPSer) while being the only ones getting purified, I'm going to call bullshit on this.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

you dont need to send tanks down so early

we do
    dps healer //// 2nd dps soak add
    2nd dps healer //// 3rd dps soak add
    3rd dps tank //// 4th dps soak
    4th dps 5th dps //// dps both adds down and let tanks soak from now on
    if you run 3rd healer send him down otherwise the last dps
    "The speed of light is faster than the speed of sound.
    That's why so many people look smart until they start talking."

FC-0404-6893-4293 Fire safari Larvesta/Growlithe/Braixen IGN: X Archimand, Y Shina.

Sending healers in is pointless. both me mw healer and pala healer did around 150k hps(no there were no mana issues) without being purified. whats more important is tanks and dps gets purified. tanks will soak the majority of the black orbs(except the first ones which dps can soak before going in for purify). Another beneficial of sending tanks in quite early is that the take less damage.

tank+dps
    tank+dps
    dps+dps
    dps+dps
    Last edited by barackohmama; 2013-09-27 at 06:15 AM.

If your healers are having a little trouble, the purified buff gives them +25% healing buff. Know we sent a healer in around 3rd wave.
    Tanks and DPS are really high, since I'm also usualy 4th in DPS too

Quote Originally Posted by ThePants999 View Post
    We only use four pairs of orbs:
    We never bother sending tanks down - there's no need, and since their trial is always a full minute, it's suboptimal to send them. Healers get out faster.
    Deathknight tank here, my trial lasts between 15 and 20 seconds. Just gotta kill the add to get out early.

Deleted
    We are going in like this

1. Top dps + top dps tank, second tank soak first
    2. 2nd dps + 2nd tank, first tank soak
    3. Dps + healer, 2nd tank soak
    4. Dps + healer, First healer soak
    5. Dps, depending on the time.

From that on our 2 healers soak up everything, which allow our tanks to deal more damage.
    Semi-casual guild, our best try got to normal 1.7% ( D: ) before we hit enrage timer. Might be a slight gear issue
    We are missing our third healer (disc priest) at the moment and hopefully we'll get him when he gets back.

Quote Originally Posted by chibichibiko View Post
    Deathknight tank here, my trial lasts between 15 and 20 seconds. Just gotta kill the add to get out early.
    This is good advice if your tanks can put out enough DPS to kill it quickly. As a Pally I can't do that so mine ends up around 20% or thereabouts when the trial ends.

I think it would be better to have the tanks soak and get purified though, because if a DPS soaks the corruption they'll have a small amount of time of lower DPS. I know before we got a kill we were trying this with DPS soaking, and we'd be hitting berserk at 13% or so, but it might have been our DPS overall. So try it out IMO and use what works best for you.

There is ample time for all 10 raid members (in 10 man, obviously) to get cleansed. Assuming you're around a 530 item level, you should not have trouble with the enrage timer as long as you send DPS in one after another (at a minimum). If you are having problems with the enrage using this method, it's probably because you need more gear or higher skill levels from your DPS players. There are ways you can manipulate the mechanics of this fight to your advantage, but if you're having serious enrage timer problems here you will run into more trouble down the road.

One important key is to maximize your efficiency. I send my top single target damage dealer down first and tell him he must help kill the small caster adds, but that he should not focus the large adds and should just tunnel the boss, instead. Another key is to ignore all those people telling you to "pop hero and burn" based on the percentage of the boss's health. The most important factor for when you pop hero is to have as many damage-dealing players as possible (including tanks) cleansed of corruption. There is no benefit to your raid for popping heroism at 50% as opposed to 35% unless you will burn through more than 35% of the boss's health in the duration of heroism and if you can burn that much health in 40 seconds you shouldn't be having any trouble with the enrage timer, anyway.

The most efficient way to deal with corruption soaking is to have people who are about to take their trial pick up the orbs. However, assuming you only cleanse DPS once time each and are running three healers, your tanks can soak all 10 of the orbs you will spawn (one before cleansing and then four after cleansing is five per tank). I find this too coincidental to be an accident and I believe this is how the fight was conceptualized by the designers. Thus my preferred cleansing order is:

DPS + Healer (top single target DPS and disc priest or fist weaving monk if you have one)
    DPS + Tank (tank should soak the orb spawned by the first DPS before going down)
    DPS + Tank (again, tank soaks the orb from previous DPS trial)
    DPS + Healer (either the DPS or the healer about to cleanse can soak the previous orb, or you can just have tanks soak them from here on and eat the efficiency loss)
    DPS + Healer [optional] (we typically find cleansing the third healer to be of little value and usually just don't send him down)

If you have people entering the trials soak orbs before they go, you only have to retain the corruption of six orbs, total. If you're still really struggling for DPS, you can start the fight by sending in two DPS (have one kill his big add immediately while the other leaves it alive until his small adds are all dead to stagger their appearance outside). This may strain your healers a bit, but it will provide a DPS gain in two ways. It gets more cleansed DPS on the boss faster and it also gives the un-cleansed DPS more adds they can hit at full damage during the beginning of the fight.

As stated before, bending these mechanics may help you kill this boss, but if you actually have to use these methods, you're probably going to have problems on Dark Shaman, Nazgrim, Malkorok, Spoils and maybe even Galakras (all of which have tighter enrage or soft-enrage mechanics than this fight, in my opinion) so you will probably be better served by finding the actual cause of your problem.

We've tried a few different combinations that have worked okay, but so far we've found this to work the best:

DPS/DPS (Frost Mage and Balance Druid)
    DPS/DPS (Surv Hunter and Shadow Priest, both soak an orb each before going in)
    DPS/Tank (Frost DK and Prot Paladin, both soak an orb each here as well)

From here on we have a Resto Shaman soaking everything. This method is working great for our team, we're all around 530 or higher.