Poll: What kind of player are you?

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Based on the skill and reputation within my group (and not the description) I'd say I'm the casual.

10+ Year Old Account
    A mixture of The Casual and The Proffesional as weird as it sounds

I stopped playing about six months ago, but I would definitely say I would classify as Professional. I did RL on and off for like five years and I always came prepared with everything researched, bags full of flasks and pots (not to mention gems, chants, etc in case I got a piece of gear) and with my mind on little more than killing as many bosses as possible. Granted I was never very good at RL or at playing the game as well as I would have liked but I did give it my A-Game. I think.

15+ Year Old Account
    Looks like some people are a little dishonest about their skill...

5% being bad at the game just seems a little ridiculous to me...

I guess I'm the casual? Maybe the loveable idiot depending on the class I'm playing

10+ Year Old Account
    Voted for casual. I used to be either dark knight or the professional, probably not skilled enough to be the professional, though
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Deleted
    I voted for casual. I used to raid a bit more seriously, but nowadays I just want to loging and hop in to do some random BGs and non-serious Arenas. I don't pve much anymore, but if I sign up for something I'm always there on time. So that part doesn't fit for the casual description in the comic.

15+ Year Old Account
    hmmm in TBC I was The Proffessional, at the Start of WotLK I was the Broken Veteran, at the end of WotLK I was the Narcissist and now I'm probably closest to the casual =p

The Ghost, way too often. In 1-89 Battleground brackets, the Narcissist or Hypocrite... But otherwise, nobody remembers that one Warlock.

i7 4690K/4.7GHz | GTX 960 SSC (x2 SLI) | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws | Gigabyte Z97X SLI | Corsair CX600W | Corsair Air 540 Silver | Corsair H110i Cooler
    XL2430T @ 144Hz | Corsair K70 RGB Brown | Logitech G400S/800DPI+1.2 sens+Raw Input | QcK+

A little something I like to call "The Grizzled Uninardiot"

10+ Year Old Account
    Dark Knight. I love my guildmates but i tend to respond negatively to people dicking around in LFR.

Deleted
    Casual. In fact I think I have told someone no to tanking tier 14 lfr with them with the phrase "Breaking Baaaaaaad." Before logging off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jbombard View Post
    I think it's just that the definition of good, decent, and bad are very subjective and people don't have the same criteria.
    Personally with only 3 ranks my definition of good tends to be the people in the world first race, with most players being in the decent range. I like to think of myself as good, but I know there are a lot of players much better than I am even if I don't run into them in game very often, so I stick myself firmly in decent.
    one way you can judge your position on good-ness is by relative comparison
    for example, in my guild, i am definitely a pleasent disposition and decent-good player, but by realm standards i am certainly a mediocre-poor player. So i am basically a Unicorn to my guild, but a Loveable Idiot to strangers.

When someone asks you if you're a god, YOU SAY 'YES'!

10+ Year Old Account
    Started as the Casual in early 2005.
    Eventually worked my way up to a Professional.
    Degraded over time into Broken Vet.
    Said "fuck it" and became Casual again was happy this way for a couple of years.
    Said "fuck it" again and retired from WoW about a year ago.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Deleted
    When I'm actually in a raid group I'm probably closest to the professional, though I can occasionally be unicorn of broken veteran as well.

For LFR though I'm either the professional or the casual. Since it's just a bunch of random people I don't always give it my all, though I think I still put in more effort to succeed than the majority of players. I don't think LFR deserves to get upset about though. If you don't like it, just leave and find a new group. No need to whine about it. LFR is just a lot more carefree imo.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Grubjuice View Post
    I would say i am either the Loveable Idiot or the Casual.
    Those are still fine additions to a raid group. I'd rather have a player with poor skill and good attitude than one with good skill and poor attitude. The former just means you have to do a few more tries on a boss until you nail the tactics, the latter just means endless drama.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    Absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt, I'm the Broken Veteran.

Quote Originally Posted by jbombard View Post
    I think it's just that the definition of good, decent, and bad are very subjective and people don't have the same criteria.
    Personally with only 3 ranks my definition of good tends to be the people in the world first race, with most players being in the decent range. I like to think of myself as good, but I know there are a lot of players much better than I am even if I don't run into them in game very often, so I stick myself firmly in decent.
    The problem tends to be that the distribution in WoW isn't really separated into anything as simple as 3 tiers. If you put players like those in World top 50 guilds in the "Good" category of this 3 tiered system, you end up having about 1% good players, 20% decent players and 79% bad players. If you decide to spread out the lower categories, and compare a player in LFR who does 25k dps with his warlock in 500 ilvl gear with a top 1% warlock who does 200k dps in that same gear, if the 200k dps warlock is "Good" then does the former warlock get labeled "Super, mega, ultra bad"?

If you assume (as I do) that the middle of the road should be the average players, then the view of what is "good" will be greatly skewed vs what we here on mmo-champion believe, as even for the less talented among us this tends to be the "ivory tower" of WoW, almost everyone who bothers to read or post here is above average at least.

I've been around the block in Orgrimmar a few times, and I've played enough that I think I've developed a fairly accurate picture of how the WoW population is distributed.

First, the bad players. The really bad ones don't make it to 90. They get frustrated during the leveling process that the game is too hard and quit. Some would say they are out of the sample because they no longer play, but personally I think that skews the sample. Then you have to factor the other bad players who don't raid, not out of lack of time or willingness, but because they are simply too bad for anyone to take them. These are the people you get into LFD with and even though they've got LFR and Timeless Isle gear they're doing 14k dps. These players are so tremendously worse than those at the opposite end of the spectrum that it creates a ridiculously wide skill gap in the population.

Then the average players: these are players who, while you may not call out for doing terribly in LFR (assuming they're not your tank) they are there and in overabundance

The "decent" players: While one could argue that decent must start at average, an average player is most likely not the sort you'd ever take to raid. This is problem the bottom tier of players you'd actually find in a raid, they can stay out of the insta-kill mechanics at least half the time and do passable dps (~50-70% of what their character is capable under the circumstances) while executing the dance of any particular fight. You won't take these guys to heroic raids and you likely won't be successful in normals with a full complement of them, but if you're filling in the gaps of your group with them and the next group(s) you may get through normals with them in passable time.

The "Above average" players - This would be the "Decent" crowd mentioned in the Dark Legacy comic. This is where you'll find your Dark Knights and Narcissists. These players can execute mechanics pretty well, and keep their dps slightly higher than the decent crowd, but not quite high enough to enter the next group. They're probably in the 60-80% of possible range most of the time. Normal raids are these players domain, they do really well there.

The "Wannabe Elite" players - This is the true domain of 'The Narcissist', these players can execute mechanics pretty well also, but they push their DPS up a notch. They're most likely pushing about 75-90% of their possible damage. You may find these players in a heroic raid because they can crank out good enough numbers, but they're also the person that when World in Flames goes off, they're dead on the ground. Then they get battle rezzed, and are dead on the ground the next world in flames because they tunnel vision all the time. These guys do great in normals, always topping the meters, but they don't last long in heroic raids because mechanics + high dps = dizzy for them.

The "Nearly There" players - These are the top ~5% of WoW players, they do heroic raids and typically manage to get some kills. They make slow but steady progress, they execute mechanics well and they do dps in the 80-95% range. They may take some time to learn though, and they're more likely to clear heroic raids when they've had some time to farm up gear. (For transparency, I do consider myself in this range)

The "Truly Elite" players - They are them, the top 25 guilds, the people who can't count their server/world firsts on both hands, who are so familiar with their character at this point they can shut off their screen and do top dps. These are the Professionals and Unicorns, you know what standing in the fire is like? They don't, because they've never been in it. The slime pools on Rotface? Yeah, they were on the other side of the room before it came out, every time. If you catch these people making gameplay mistakes, remember it because it won't happen often. They kill end bosses on heroic wearing blues and somehow still do more dps.

Anyway, enough of that long chain of thought, I only set out to say that skill is separated into far more than 3 tiers in WoW but ended up writing a damned novel. For the record, I'm sure I could have made more tiers in the below average category, but I figured it would just get offensive to have things like the "mouth breather" category and it would have just made me sad to think about.
    Druidjezus' Law: "As the length of any online discussion increases, the probability that [insert any topic here] will be mentioned approaches 1, duh."
    I am the Druid Jesus, and I approve of this message.