I think our guild's disc priest needs some help, his hps seems underwhelming

Here is our guild's latest raid log: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-ttxcmbhaew8v46x8/ . As you can see we only managed to down 2 bosses on normal soo thus far, but our disc seems to be falling behind our r shaman and holy priest considerably. I am not sure if this is a gear or spell usage problem , so I ask for help here where there ought to be more experienced disc players.

Thank you in advance for any input guys.

Needs to get rid of the PW:S glyph. Has a couple of Heal uses as well, which is pointless. Also, too much Renew usage. That time would be better spent casting Smite.

It looks like he's a bubble spammer. That's not wrong, per se, but focusing on Atonement would be much more beneficial to your raid, especially since you are 3 healing. He should be using Divine Star for both Protectors and Norushen.

Gear wise, he wants to get a balance of crit and mastery, with crit about 5% ahead. I suppose since he favors shields over Atonement, he could keep mastery higher then crit. Could add some haste if you are having tank healing troubles. Reforge out of all spirit. I can't see him running out of mana with a Resto Shammy and another Priest for outside regen, even with his bubble spam. I run with 8.7k, and I still have too much even though I reforged out of all I could. He really should switch to crit and Atonement heal more. Get rid of those intellect/spirit gems and use crit/spirit or mastery/spirit in blue sockets. So crit > mastery > haste > spirit for his secondaries. Have him fix his enchants, too.

I like that he uses Void Shift. So many Priests don't even know that spell exists. He may want to get Desperate Prayer though to counteract the dip in health. Macro DP + Healthstone (if you had one), and you get a 50% heal right after Void Shift. Don't macro it to Void Shift thought. It can often times waste DP + HS by using them before Void Shift because of server to client lag. He should also be using Twist of Faith for each one of those three fights.

I think that's about it. Someone else here might find more. If you or him have any questions, feel free to contact me in game. My battle tag is Amerrol #1654.

Deleted
    Gear:
    - Way too much spirit (could drop half of it considering he's using 2 regen trinkets too)
    - Not enough crit
    - Inconsistent gemming and no reforges at all
    - Windsong on weapon
    - Wrong talents (should use halo mostly and twist of fate all the time) and glyphs (missing glyph of the sha)

Spells:
    - Hardly uses atonement
    - Really low dps (even the holy priest did more)

Compare: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-prptmznhnfirk6nw/

well .. it's not easy and it's not so hard to become a good disc .. i'll try to sum it up in few points:

- you must have a very well understanding of the fight .. unlike the other healers we don't specialize in healing as in the green numbers, we are the masters of shields .. so in order to have those shields effective you must know when the boss will cast that big damage spell so you can prepare your shields.

- we have great cooldowns in our arsenal, archangel should be used on CD .. inner focus as well .. spirit shell must cover the raid before each big hit.

- since you have a resto shaman you can easily run with 11 - 12 k spirit and spam PW:S with it .. go to crit as your first.

it's a lot to take and i'm not even half done .. the above point is just a general points .. i suggest you go check ivy veins or the threads here to get more into it.

1. His gemming is inconsistent and awkward. As a Disc Priest who gems crit: int/crit in red sockets, crit in yellow sockets, spirit/crit in blue sockets.
    2. WAYYYYY too much Flash Heal. Flash Heal for Disc is an emergency only, "oh shit" spell.
    3. WAYYYYY too much Renew. Leave that to Holy Priests. I occasionally will throw a renew on someone while on the move just to top them off say if they're missing a measly 20k health and there's nothing to DPS or Holy Fire is on CD. I don't think Renew ever breaks 1% of my healing done, ever. On a fight like Immerseus, Atonement heal to victory. Probably the most efficient way to heal for this fight due to spreading out so much.
    4. Glyphs. Get rid of PW:Shield glyph. Would not recommend PoM personally, though it might be more efficient in 10m.
    5. Tier 90 Talent. He is currently using Cascade. I hope this is not always the case. For those first two bosses you have done, Halo for Immerseus, Divine Star for Protectors.
    6. Heal usage is awkwardly high, and NO Greater Heal?!? This makes me uncomfortable. I've removed Heal from my bars entirely. Greater Heal is your friend. On a related note, Inner Focus is also your friend. He did not use that a single time on Immerseus (semi understandable if you're just smite healing the entire time, which is what I do) and Protectors.

1. playstyle
    - immersus
    - top heal defensive penance - perhaps better to heal with penance via atonement as then it gives us greater range in crazy big room.
    - third top heal renew - bleh. make your priest remove renew from all his bindings and active bars and learn to heal without it, once this is achieved, can put renew back, cause yes, sometimes it does not hurt to use it once or twice per fight.
    - protectors
    - looks better as to choice of spells, but overall healing is nerfed by really low Divine Aegis. also i think that divine star is better for this fight, but oh well, lets say its personal.

four Prayer of Healing cast total on two boss kills? why so little? does he fix groups for poh?

2. gear ++
    - pw:s glyph - get rid of that, if feels like shield spam (as done on protectors) get weakened glyph, otherwise either binding or range on hf/smites
    - very low crit - and your priest reforges out of crit? DA should be in his top 2 heals and now its like 5th or 6th

in general its not bad, stack more crit, less spirit (more atonement, try solace talent), perhaps less shields spam (if he cries about less spirit) and more atonement/POH spam.
    promote him and let him set groups for poh (only party-wide healing aoe left in game), so he has chance to cover all 5 ppl in party with it. make him macro it with inner focus so he gets to blanket party with DA easily.

He's not using Archangel enough. He used it 5 times out of reasonable 16 times on the Fallen Protectors. Likely this is because he isn't using enough atonement. He only used offensive penance 10 times on Protectors.

The others have covered a lot. It appears he has a serious lack of class understanding. I'd point him towards howtopriest.com and have him read up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellumina View Post
    1. His gemming is inconsistent and awkward. As a Disc Priest who gems crit: int/crit in red sockets, crit in yellow sockets, spirit/crit in blue sockets.
    2. WAYYYYY too much Flash Heal. Flash Heal for Disc is an emergency only, "oh shit" spell.
    3. WAYYYYY too much Renew. Leave that to Holy Priests. I occasionally will throw a renew on someone while on the move just to top them off say if they're missing a measly 20k health and there's nothing to DPS or Holy Fire is on CD. I don't think Renew ever breaks 1% of my healing done, ever. On a fight like Immerseus, Atonement heal to victory. Probably the most efficient way to heal for this fight due to spreading out so much.
    4. Glyphs. Get rid of PW:Shield glyph. Would not recommend PoM personally, though it might be more efficient in 10m.
    5. Tier 90 Talent. He is currently using Cascade. I hope this is not always the case. For those first two bosses you have done, Halo for Immerseus, Divine Star for Protectors.
    6. Heal usage is awkwardly high, and NO Greater Heal?!? This makes me uncomfortable. I've removed Heal from my bars entirely. Greater Heal is your friend. On a related note, Inner Focus is also your friend. He did not use that a single time on Immerseus (semi understandable if you're just smite healing the entire time, which is what I do) and Protectors.
    Is immersius' circle really not larger than 30 yards? Im thinking 10 man raid where you only have 1-2 others on your platform

@Ellumina: You're correct, PoM is not ideal. Glyph of PoM in 10m is still a healing loss.

There seems to be quite a lot wrong here, and confronting him with a 2 page list of "things you are doing wrong" probably won't give very good results for you nor him.

Quote Originally Posted by Naer View Post
    I'd point him towards howtopriest.com and have him read up.
    I would agree with this, and be patient because there is just too much to fix overnight.

>norushen
    >no prayer of healing, just pw:s spam

I'll have to assume he goes oom if he just does that all day, considering pw:s spam is easily 160k+ hps in the unlikely event you can sustain it.

I belive the rest already pointed out the vital parts, ive been playing disc since MSV times. I dont think i have casted a single Heal, Greater Heal or Renew during this time tbh (I dont have em on my bars). Its all about atonement

Greater Heal is great for capping out DA from Inner Focus.

But I don't know what this "Heal" spell you talk of is.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
    I belive the rest already pointed out the vital parts, ive been playing disc since MSV times. I dont think i have casted a single Heal, Greater Heal or Renew during this time tbh (I dont have em on my bars). Its all about atonement
    completely ignoring greater heal is actually a very bad advice, take tortos hc for example, or primodius hc before slimes appear. even if not used as much as other spells, it should not be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by babylon View Post
    completely ignoring greater heal is actually a very bad advice, take tortos hc for example, or primodius hc before slimes appear. even if not used as much as other spells, it should not be forgotten.
    I kinda feel Flash Heal works good enough on its own, they both got same mana req and while greater heals abit more flash heal is like 1 sec shorter to cast. If Greater did twice what flash was doing i would re consider.