Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

So My Xbox 360 Is....Semi Broken....Advice For The Next Gen?

The abridged. It still logs me into live, I can still do everything, but my memory is broken and I cannot download the new update so I cant play games with live anymore. It is now a glorified Netflix machine.

I already plan to buy a Wii U when I can.... Because I know Nintendo loves me and loves gamers.

I was thinking of how I should go into the next gen. I want to guy an Xbox 360 to replace this one, so I can play my games on it. Since the Xbone is not backwards compatible. Now when the Xbone comes out I expect to spend almost nothing for the Xbox 360. (Maybe under 100 for a brand new one).

Now the point of this rambling. Should I get an Xbone and a 360 since I already like many of the franchises and games that are exclusive to microsoft, or should I get a 360 and a ps4, saving me money, but may or may not have exclusives I like. Also I know the ps4 is also not backwards compatible, so I cannot buy ps3 games for it.

How is the memory broken? What's the error?

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't appear to be asking for help, so..

This sounds like a situation where you should think for yourself and form your own decisions.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dodgerslim View Post
    How is the memory broken? What's the error?
    My memory device (the console) has nothing on it any more and still shows at 1.5gb when it should say 3.0, also It wont let me download this new update from live so I cant play games with Live on.

Yes I reformatted it and emptied the cache. No luck I even have a flash drive in it (error occurs with or with out it, and is the one designed for the xbox 360)

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    So My Xbox 360 Is....Semi Broken....
    Surprise.

Other than snarky remarks, I have no other advise though. LOL.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    Surprise.

Other than snarky remarks, I have no other advise though. LOL.

I'd rather not hear snarky remarks from SALT! lol. Jokes aside.... It is now the netflix machine.

If it is just the harddrive can't you just replace that thing?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    How much would that be? Also I have no technical knowledge and will likely break my 360 trying........ or create Megatron I dont know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Backup your profile to a USB/Flash drive.

Format the drive, try to see if it works.

If not then buy another hard drive.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    He most likely could. Looks like Genn wants to whine more than actually do anything about it, however.

If you have a local Gamestop, you could probably bring your 360 in there during a non-busy time and ask them if you can put a different HDD in it and power it up and see if that fixes it. Also, just FYI, I don't believe there was a 3GB 360 model put out, so you probably want to ask for a 4GB HDD. (that was after a quick google search and could be wrong)
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

10+ Year Old Account
    He most likely could. Looks like Genn wants to whine more than actually do anything about it, however.

If you have a local Gamestop, you could probably bring your 360 in there during a non-busy time and ask them if you can put a different HDD in it and power it up and see if that fixes it. Also, just FYI, I don't believe there was a 3GB 360 model put out, so you probably want to ask for a 4GB HDD. (that was after a quick google search and could be wrong)
    its supposed to be 4g, but the ambassador told me there should be 3g available for use, but even after i reformatted it and cleared the cache it still only has 1.5g.

Im guessing I should replace the harddrive

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    its supposed to be 4g, but the ambassador told me there should be 3g available for use, but even after i reformatted it and cleared the cache it still only has 1.5g.

Probably the way to go. Like I said go into a local shop (not a big box like Best Buy or w/e) and ask if you can test a new/refurb HDD in it to make sure it is the HDD that is the problem.
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

10+ Year Old Account

Make sure you backup your profile to another device, which includes game saves.

How much would that be? Also I have no technical knowledge and will likely break my 360 trying........ or create Megatron I dont know.
    Depends on the model but you won't likely break the system. For a Slim I've seen as little as 50$ for a 320GB drive and the installation should take no more than 20 seconds, if it's the original xbox 360 might be a little more expensive but the installation is just as easy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPaladinGuy View Post
    Make sure you backup your profile to another device, which includes game saves.

ok, but all my important stuff is in the cloud thingy

10+ Year Old Account
    ok, but all my important stuff is in the cloud thingy
    Nice, then you needn't worry.

Have you thought about buying a hard drive for it? this really is not the forum to ask. Go to the xbox forums or call thier support.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd rather not hear snarky remarks from SALT! lol. Jokes aside.... It is now the netflix machine.
    LOL I got reported. Apparently jokes are infract-able offenses ...

Probably should just go for a 360/PS4 combo. The Xbone doesn't look like a wise investment. It's more expensive, technically weaker (might get the short end of the stick when it comes to multi platform games) and MS doesn't exactly have a good track record of building reliable products - the fact that they boosted the clock rate of the Xbone at the very last minute doesn't look good for the latter 2 points.

But that's just my opinion. It really depends on how much weight you put on MS exclusives - and you should check that they are REAL exclusives not just time-exclusives.
    Last edited by SodiumChloride; 2013-09-25 at 04:07 AM.

The abridged. It still logs me into live, I can still do everything, but my memory is broken and I cannot download the new update so I cant play games with live anymore. It is now a glorified Netflix machine.

I already plan to buy a Wii U when I can.... Because I know Nintendo loves me and loves gamers.

I was thinking of how I should go into the next gen. I want to guy an Xbox 360 to replace this one, so I can play my games on it. Since the Xbone is not backwards compatible. Now when the Xbone comes out I expect to spend almost nothing for the Xbox 360. (Maybe under 100 for a brand new one).

Now the point of this rambling. Should I get an Xbone and a 360 since I already like many of the franchises and games that are exclusive to microsoft, or should I get a 360 and a ps4, saving me money, but may or may not have exclusives I like. Also I know the ps4 is also not backwards compatible, so I cannot buy ps3 games for it.
    If you enjoy halo, then get an Xbone
    Otherwise there is no applicable reason as to why you would choose it over a PS4, other than to be laughed at.

Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    LOL I got reported. Apparently jokes are infract-able offenses ...

Probably should just go for a 360/PS4 combo. The Xbone doesn't look like a wise investment. It's more expensive, technically weaker (might get the short end of the stick when it comes to multi platform games) and MS doesn't exactly have a good track record of building reliable products - the fact that they boosted the clock rate of the Xbone at the very last minute doesn't look good for the latter 2 points.

But that's just my opinion. It really depends on how much weight you put on MS exclusives - and you should check that they are REAL exclusives not just time-exclusives.
    Ironically, if you exclude the first batch of both 360 and PS3's, their failure rates are within 2% of each other over 5 years. MS had massive issues with their first version, and I would agree with Vegas that if you are on a tight budget or worried about console failure, wait at least 6 months before purchasing one.
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.