Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

SoO Best spec, SV or BM by boss?

Just wondering what everyone thinks is the best spec for each boss? If I missed a list like this already here I am sorry. I'll list my thoughts and you all just chime in.

Immerseus:
    SV seems like the way to go for AE, but there are never more than 2 or 3 mobs bunched together, tops.

Fallen Protectors:
    I went BM tonight. Seemed better than SV.

Norushen:
    BM. Rarely large clumps of adds together.

Sha:
    I went with BM on this again but I am feeling like I should have stayed SV on this one, for the adds.

Galakras:
    I did BM tonight but I am sure SV is better, for all of the adds and multi dotting to then switch to single target.

Iron Juggernaut:
    BM all the way. Single Target tunnel ftw.

Dark Shaman:
    SV for the adds. BM might be good.

General Nazgrim:

I think BM is the way to go. Beast cleave should be as good as SSpread for any groups of adds. More burst for berserker phases.

Malkorok:
    No idea

Spoils:
    ?

Thok:
    ?

Blackfuse:
    ?

Paragons:
    ?

Garrosh:
    ?

So what do you all think?

Deleted
    i dont know is this a bug or intended but in the case of Norushen i think pets avoid that damage debuff the hunter has, which gives more overall damage(not very important if you are the first dps to get rid of the corruption). double check it, im not sure about it

I'm still curious as to why people believe BM to not be good/great once adds are introduced. I guess people really haven't seen BC in action. Unless they're spread out and you can't clump them up, outside of that......yeah.
    Last edited by Hayro1; 2013-09-25 at 04:27 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Surv for Garrosh, thoughts?
    Hi

Some fights have pet QoL issues that would likely make SV preferable. The two I had the most trouble with were Dark Shaman (pet go squish) and Immerseus (pet despawns, though this seems not to happen with flying pets).

I'd go with BM for Sha. Beast Cleave is amazing on the reflections and there isn't much target switching.

Of the last 6 I have only done Thok, and BM is a no-brainer for that one.

Deleted
    I'd say SV for Nazgrim. The adds are too spread for BM to be efficienet.

Malkorok it doesn't matter as the boss is stationary the whole fight.

On spoils i'd also say SV as beast cleave=dead pet quite often. BM does however have better burst for the big add.

For Thok just go with any spec. No adds and pet should stick to the boss unless you have no melee to kill the jailer (btw, this boss is a real hunterfight).

If you are on belt duty on Blackfuse I'd go BM due to hugher controlled burst. If not I'd go SV due to how spread out the adds are (provided you have any).

For Paragons you should go BM without a doubt. BM has more burst which is often necessary on this fight.

For Garrosh I don't know. I'd probably stick with SV for multi-dotting etc.

After the 10% explosive shot buff im going to stay SV, the specs are so close and certain fights are just painful with the amount of pet bugs. (also 4p bonus is more fun as SV :P)

Quote Originally Posted by Musca View Post
    Dark Shaman (pet go squish)
    That's due to Ashen Wall, have your tank not sit by it and it'll be fine. The adds do next to nothing to the pets.

Lemme just throw this out there, BM/SV (people may even argue MM now) are so close on st fights that for any fight where your pet has a chance of dying, despawning, running to Africa, etc., you're better off going SV to save the hassle. With that being said, whenever you're faced with a boss, go through the following questions.
    1. Is this fight a purely st fight with absolutely no chance of my pet being murdered? BM, else, SV
    2. Does this fight periodically have 3-4+ adds clumped up and die relatively fast? BM, else, SV
    3. Is this a multi-add (council fights even) fight where adds are up for a prolong duration and pretty spread out? SV, else BM

Like many have said, BC is so strong now that it can outdo SV aoe quite easily. The only real downside to BM aoe is the pet travel time (delay on BC), but BS should fix that problem, hopefully not on cd when you need it.
    <Guiles Theme Song> @ Mal'Ganis-US Horde 20-man 10/10M 8/10M, currently recruiting all
    Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/timoseewho

Some fights have pet QoL issues that would likely make SV preferable. The two I had the most trouble with were Dark Shaman (pet go squish) and Immerseus (pet despawns, though this seems not to happen with flying pets).

I'd go with BM for Sha. Beast Cleave is amazing on the reflections and there isn't much target switching.

Yea pet is kinda annoying on some fights, like Garrosh, not assisting after Shrine Intermission you have to sent it to fight manually, also sometimes it dies on pull (not sure if that is tank fault) and despawns. Anyways with 4P i will go SV almost all the way. So funny to see this Simulation Shot Breakdown in femaledwarf:

113.248 Explosive Shot 1.037 114.285 119.248 68.64 43.64 SpS, BA, RF, LnL 129.229 8.138 25
    114.285 Explosive Shot 1.037 115.322 115.322 52.08 52.08 SpS, BA, RF, LnL 129.229 8.138 0
    115.322 Explosive Shot 1.037 116.359 116.359 60.52 60.52 SpS, BA, RF, LnL 129.229 8.138 0
    116.359 Explosive Shot 1.037 117.396 117.396 68.96 68.96 SpS, BA, RF, LnL 129.229 8.138 0
    117.396 Explosive Shot 1.037 118.433 118.433 77.4 77.4 SpS, BA, RF 129.229 8.138 0
    118.433 Explosive Shot 1.037 119.47 124.433 85.84 60.84 SpS, BA, RF 129.229 8.138 25

Every time you say "I don't believe in fearies" one of them dies...

If i have 4 piece, should i rly spam explosive shot if it cost me no charge? Does explosive shot stack total dot damage with 4 pieces process?

nah, BM for pretty much anything that dosnt have adds spread out.

protectors i would say SV is much better because the way how we do it, we stack them at the start then spread them out after they are all around 75%. ppl having issues with immersus is because you are in the wrong positon, nothing else. on shamans brust AOE is way better than sustained AOE why would you go SV for this when is so easy to kill adds in less than a few secs with beast cleave. watch your pet for ashen walls and you would be fine.

btw: do u guys even use glaive toss as SV with 2pc and thrill?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yakuz View Post
    btw: do u guys even use glaive toss as SV with 2pc and thrill?
    It's 15 focus, hits like a truck, and costs 1 GCD. I don't see why you wouldn't.

Deleted
    BM is far superior for Galakras imo. Especially with AoC. The tightly packed burst aoe is ridiculous.

You seem to be really underestimating how lethal BM's burst aoe is now. For instance on a fight like Dark Shaman you will get incredible numbers cleaving at the start. It all depends on whether you have 2p/4p/trinkets but as a general rule of thumb. Both are great for single target especially with the enhancement of expl shot. BM is better for tightly clumped burst aoe, SV for more spread out aoe and multi dotting. Also some fights such as spoils and Immerseus will favour SV due to pet issues.
    Last edited by mmoce7fe1d879b; 2013-09-25 at 05:56 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you are going by adds like that I would have to say Spoils is Survival. It's many adds and depending on how you pull them you can get a lot of them up at the same time.

BM is more than fine for spoils. Not only you get bigger burst on the large adds, the aoe is far superior with everything clumped in a small area. The only thing I've found annoying is that pets sometimes get stuck in crates and don't attack at all unless you dismiss them and if the adds are tanked close to crates, the pets won't use KC. This can be dealt with by having the adds tanked in the middle, which also helps with sparks on heroic as you can passively cleave them down.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aarjun View Post
    BM is more than fine for spoils. Not only you get bigger burst on the large adds, the aoe is far superior with everything clumped in a small area. The only thing I've found annoying is that pets sometimes get stuck in crates and don't attack at all unless you dismiss them and if the adds are tanked close to crates, the pets won't use KC. This can be dealt with by having the adds tanked in the middle, which also helps with sparks on heroic as you can passively cleave them down.
    Why would AoE be better with BM?

Deleted
    BM pulls ahead on everything if played right. Otherwise just go with what you are going with now.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    I've been BM for normal modes all this patch so far. Today we killed Immerseus 25HC, and in the end I was "forced" to go SV for it. BM just have huge issues with the fight, due to pet regularly despawning and the phase 1 adds being kinda spread out (at least we never managed to keep all the "waves" together). As BM I was usally around #5-10 on recount (depending a lot on whether pet despawned or not). When I switched to SV I was steady #1-3.

Had a number of pulls on Protectors HC as BM. It felt decent, but I can see SV being very good there as well. Might try it next raid.