Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    Deleted

Any guesses on what the next playable race could be next expansion?

TBC = Blood elves and dranei
    Wotlk = No new races, only death knights as new class.
    Cataclysm = Worgens + Goblins, new race, not new class.
    MOP = New race and class.

I appreciate they don't have to stick to a particular pattern, but through speculation we can "guess" that there won't be a new class, instead their MAY be a new race.

So, any thoughts on what this new race may be? Obviously it will have to fit with the expansion theme, which we don't know yet, however some people have rumoured that it will be something to do with the burn crusade - although we dont have any clues or evidence to suggest that, yet, it's just a guess.

My hope for a new race playable would be an etheral. I just think it would be fun to play an ethereal mage or rogue. I don't know what fraction they would belong too, perhaps neither (like monks) or they may introduce two races, but at the moment I have no guesses as to what the 2nd could be.

If it's The Dark Below - Nagas
    If it's about the Burning Legion - Ethereal
    If it's neither then Ogres and High Elves

I'm relatively certain there won't be one and they'll work on making sure the new models are all in place before the expansion hits, offering up new ethnicities of the existent races in place of new races.

My reasoning is the extent to which they talk about overlap of the art team's duties when discussing the time it takes to make more things. While they have decided to hire new people, I have no idea how much of that is art team and how much of it is for people who will use the tools the art team develops to make content (arranging items, using asset pallets, that sort of thing).

TBH i don't think Blizz will do a new race for the next expansion. The work involved to create one, re-balance the classes, make starting zones, linking them to the existing ones, altering the existing map is just going to detract from the end game content. I could easily seeing this upcoming expansion w/o a new set of races. Besides we already got a new race & Class last expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hopefully none, I feel like we got too much classes and races at the moment, maybe next time.

10+ Year Old Account
    I always liked those dudes from Uldum.
    The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it.- George Carlin

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NonameXADX View Post
    If it's The Dark Below - Nagas
    If it's about the Burning Legion - Ethereal
    If it's neither then Ogres and High Elves
    i actually think if its burning legion that we get ogres and High Elves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

No new playable race, however Horde will get a playable Dwarf faction while the Alliance will get High Elves.
    Last edited by Kalcheus; 2013-09-25 at 01:31 PM.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably none, there aren't that many good options for races left, High Elves are Blood Elves with blue eyes, Ogres would be highly unpopular as they neither look "badass" or "pretty", Naga lack feet which makes many things very challenging (boot armor, leg armor?) and what character customization options would there be for ethereals? We will probably only see updated visuals for the old races and maybe the option to be different ethnicity options like Wildhammer Dwarves and Blackrock Orcs (I only think they'd do that if they are concerned the lack of a new race could be damaging).

Deleted
    I suspect and hope 0. Instead updated models of all races

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Way too soon to speculate. I mean look at all the possibilities.

*Azshara, 2 faction-specific races.

*Azshara, 2 neutral races.

*Legion, 95, 2 faction-specific races.

*Legion, 95, 2 neutral races.

*Legion, 100, neutral race and hero class.

And that's without delving into debates about Naga Pants or Tinkers Barfing Gears.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I suspect and hope 0. Instead updated models of all races
    Pretty sure Blizz already put the knife in that one by saying they're 25% done with them.

More likely they'll be rolled out gradually with SOME in 6.0.

Meaning we're for sure getting some NEW content.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Deleted
    new/fresh humanoid alien race for both horde and alliance

OR

existing ones like Naga, Ogre, Ethereal etc.

Blizzard can always create a new race etc...
    Last edited by mmoc058e0f1fe5; 2013-09-25 at 02:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    Personally I'm inclined to think that the updates of the existing character models is going to be one of the major features of the new expansion and not a new race. I think they'd be barmy to introduce a new race while the old races are still looking so shabby in comparison to the newer ones (even Draenei and Belves look quite a bit better than vanilla races).
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

Deleted
    Naga and Ogres, otherwise we are never getting a new race ever again

In addendum to my "Dwarves for Horde/HElfs for Alliance" prediction, I want to point out that Dwarves are one of the races Blizz has explicitly mentioned as being far along the way of redesign. It makes sense that if they're the first redesign released (along with the xpac) that they end up playable for both factions.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think we will be getting any, and I don't think Naga or Ethereal will ever be playable.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Pretty sure Blizz already put the knife in that one by saying they're 25% done with them.

More likely they'll be rolled out gradually with SOME in 6.0.

Meaning we're for sure getting some NEW content.
    Pretty sure at the same time they said they could put more people on it and the 25% wasn't a scale of time, merely development.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Deleted
    If it's Legion (probably not, but whatev), ethereals. If it's Azshara, not sure 'cause I'm not 100% supportive on playable naga, but Alliance jinyu perhaps?

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    I'm relatively certain there won't be one and they'll work on making sure the new models are all in place before the expansion hits, offering up new ethnicities of the existent races in place of new races.

My reasoning is the extent to which they talk about overlap of the art team's duties when discussing the time it takes to make more things. While they have decided to hire new people, I have no idea how much of that is art team and how much of it is for people who will use the tools the art team develops to make content (arranging items, using asset pallets, that sort of thing).
    Your reasoning however assumes that the new model;s are a priority for Blizzard. If we take them at their word...they aren't. New models have, for a long time, been bottom or near bottom.

Other developments have a higher priority. IF Blizzard bring in a new race or races this XPac, then they will have a higher priority over the new models for old races. Those aren't even guaranteed at be finished at launch.

As it is, there are two many variable in play to make a guess as to the races.

For example, if Blizzard wanted to take advantage of the 10/20 years anniversaries to round out the old faction races, we can expect High Elves and Ogres. We could even see he factions getting two races each to avoid the problem with "rehashes" HElfs would bring in, with each side getting a rehash (HElfs and an Alliance race made available to the Horde - most likely Highborne NElfs) and a new race (Ogres and a new Alliance race)

If the next Xpac is Azshara base, we may see Naga, or Naga and Jinyu.

Right now, all we can really do is state which races would "suit" each faction.

For the Alliance, most likely would be HElf and Drakonid.
    For the Horde, most likely would be Ogres.

For either (to one faction) or both (as a neutral), we can suggest the Arrakoa/Apexis, the Ethereal

For "Way out there" suggestions we can suggest Tol'vir, mantid, saurok, mogu, jinyu, hozen, sons/daughters of cenarius, naga and so on.

EJL

I read the title of the thread as "Any glasses on the next playable race?"

I've been sick (literally bed ridden) for a few days and I thought I missed something... turns out I'm still sick and can't read. back to bed.