Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Yes. It's not discrimination, it's the employer not wanting to hire someone who chooses to look like an idiot. Getting the phrase "PUSSY DESTROYER" tattoo'd on your face isn't a smart move for your career.

Deleted
    It's what's inside your head that should matter not how you look. Especially so in academic professions where appearance seem to matter more at the moment... In the extreme case that you have a swastika on your forehead the chance is pretty good that you don't mentally qualify for the position in the first place, it's self-correcting at this point.

I think a lot of returning soldiers are finding out that the whole sleeves tattoo fad wasn't the best thing for them when they go looking for a job. The Army has even stopped them from getting them while in the service.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    Yes. It's not discrimination, it's the employer not wanting to hire someone who chooses to look like an idiot. Getting the phrase "PUSSY DESTROYER" tattoo'd on your face isn't a smart move for your career.
    I think I'll go do that tomorrow.

Bloodsail Admiral Melanieshaman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Pinkman View Post
    I admit, I can take out my piercing and choose not to get a tattoo, but I can also choose to change my religion (or even gender!). And nobody is going to terminate employment or refuse to hire me in America if I change my religion (or even sex)
    You DO know up until just a couple of months ago, it was perfectly legal to fire a trans person for no reason right? Recently a (I believe) nationwide bill passed protecting trans people from discrimination..HOWEVER..

Quote Originally Posted by ptwonline View Post
    If you're in a "Right-to-Work" state they can fire you for pretty much any reason they want, as long as they don't actually admit it's because of race, etc.
    there's this...

they pretty much have the right to hire or not hire you for whatever reason they choose... as long as they stray away from the REAL reason (if need be).

Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    I don't see how it's discrimination anyway. You choose to pierce/tattoo yourself at places where you can't cover them. It's discrimination if there's something you can't do about it.

Also, I wouldn't wanna employ someone who could potentially scare certain customers away. Why would I do that over someone who won't?
    if i owned a business in an affluent white neighborhood, i surely would not want to employ any black people as it may scare away bigoted customers.

Employers have so many applicants they can afford to be as picky as they want. Plus they wont tell the person they arent getting hired because of tattoos or piercings, they just wont get a job. Plus if a company wants to get rid of someone they can do it pretty easily, each mistake you make is an infraction, 3rd infraction fired.

And how were the results?
    Small samplesize as of now, and I kinda spilled the beans already so I probably won't get any more bites, but I feel that people who assume others are racist when they see a seeminly random display of pictures of people with different skin colors are just as discriminating as racists themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    Employers have so many applicants they can afford to be as picky as they want. Plus they wont tell the person they arent getting hired because of tattoos or piercings, they just wont get a job. Plus if a company wants to get rid of someone they can do it pretty easily, each mistake you make is an infraction, 3rd infraction fired.
    Interesting, that's what I do with my employers. 3rd infraction I walk out.

Deleted
    Interesting, that's what I do with my employers. 3rd infraction I walk out.
    What line of work do you do that makes it so easy to walk out?

I don't see a problem with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    You blow things out don't you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    I'm a cook.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Thanks Obama.

Quote Originally Posted by pucGG View Post
    Small samplesize as of now, and I kinda spilled the beans already so I probably won't get any more bites, but I feel that people who assume others are racist when they see a seeminly random display of pictures of people with different skin colors are just as discriminating as racists themselves.
    Simply being race sensitive (i.e. constantly being aware of possible race issues) is not the same as discriminating or being racist. Although, I think recently Morgan Freeman made a very good quote when asked how do we end racism in this country. I believe his reply was "stop talking about it".

And how were the results?
    Most of the people saying you shouldnt have tats in business are possibly right, I agree neck/face tats are a little off, but I have artwork on my arms/forearms. and I work to a high standard as a logistics manager and I've met countless higher ups in the corporation the CEO/CFO/COO to name a few, one of whom even commented on them in a positive way.

this is a modern world. anyone who isn't willing to think outside the box and look more then just at the cover, anyone who isn't willing to adapt to the modern world is opening themselves up to fail.

in MY personal opinion, I wouldn't hire people who have the mindset that somebodies physical body choices, be they tats, piercings, gauges or whatever somehow makes them unable to do a job. because it shows they are ignorant and unable to adapt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatelocker View Post
    Simply being race sensitive (i.e. constantly being aware of possible race issues) is not the same as discriminating or being racist. Although, I think recently Morgan Freeman made a very good quote when asked how do we end racism in this country. I believe his reply was "stop talking about it".
    Morgan Freeman is an amazing man.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    You blow things out don't you?
    This kind of policy isn't intended to target someone who has a 4" military unit insignia on their bicep.

It's because of this guy:

How is it discrimination? Really if they have a certain way they want their employees to look (ie: shirt tucked in, no obvious tattoos, etc) and you CAN'T meet that standard then they don't have to hire you. It's really that simple. You're trying to make an issue out of a non-issue in an attempt to sooth the obvious bad taste in your mouth caused by your own tattoos/piercings/long hair. If you want to get a serious job you should have thought about that before doing something that makes you a joke.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spraxle View Post
    How is it discrimination? Really if they have a certain way they want their employees to look (ie: shirt tucked in, no obvious tattoos, etc) and you CAN'T meet that standard then they don't have to hire you. It's really that simple. You're trying to make an issue out of a non-issue in an attempt to sooth the obvious bad taste in your mouth caused by your own tattoos/piercings/long hair. If you want to get a serious job you should have thought about that before doing something that makes you a joke.
    Kinda the same as a company policy being "you must be a white Christian male", don't you think?