Minecraft on steam

I vaguely recall someone claiming the author was "against steam",. but I still feel he's shooting himself in the foot here.
    Terraria got pretty huge on steam in a fairly short span of time - perhaps because it was the only good minecraft alternative on steam, or perhaps in it's own right (it IS a good game n all).

But, would there be any hope of minecraft making it to steam sometime later?
    Would you be more likely to buy it when it's on steam than otherwise? (if you dont have it already)

Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post
    I highly doubt Minecraft will end up on Steam - at least, not before the SteamOS gets into living rooms. Given that it's sold over 12 million Minecraft copies on PC, and has an integrated update/login system that hits their servers every time you boot up, I'd say that Mojang has already solved the distribution, updating, DRM, and taking money problems that Steam usually handles for smaller developers.

Unlike the partnerships with Microsoft (for the XBOX), Google Play store (for Android), and Apple (it's on iOS, right?), there's no reason for Mojang to give someone a 30% cut to make Minecraft available on PCs. It'd be a bad business move.

10+ Year Old Account
    Does minecraft NEED steam... I mean... really?

No.

Mojang doesn't need Steam. If Pearson even had considered for just a split second about putting Minecraft up on Steam, everyone in the world would know and we wouldn't be having this disscusion, but due to the fact we are, I think the answer should be a pretty obvious no.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's the 3rd most successful PC game of all time. Probably doesn't need Steam at this point.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    It's the 3rd most successful PC game of all time. Probably doesn't need Steam at this point.
    Source for that? Not doubting you cause it sound quite plausible, I'd just like to see the rest of the list as well ^^

15+ Year Old Account
    Just here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...lling_PC_games

but it`s fairly common knowledge. Its impressive sales wise when you coniseder Sims games are AAA titles and MC for the most part is viewed as an indie title.

- - - Updated - - -

For further stats.. see Mojangs live sales stats: https://minecraft.net/stats

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...lling_PC_games

but it`s fairly common knowledge. Its impressive sales wise when you coniseder Sims games are AAA titles and MC for the most part is viewed as an indie title.
    "common knowledge" is bubcis esp when the game costs so much less then the competition

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lokinrond713 View Post
    "common knowledge" is bubcis esp when the game costs so much less then the competition
    hence why I said it`s impressive compared to triple A titles.

10+ Year Old Account
    hence why I said it`s impressive compared to triple A titles.

Well it sucks for those in certain states(Like me) That can't buy Minecraft regularly.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Well it sucks for those in certain states(Like me) That can't buy Minecraft regularly.
    How so

I picked it up via paypal pretty easily.

I think minecraft its better off with out steam.

It is kind of weird how you have to buy it, but once you get it it doesn't matter.

Only question is would being on Steam give him access to a big audience he hasn't sold to already? I'd say probably not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Nah, MC doesn't need steam...the only perk of it is the possibility of Steam Workshop for mod support.

Perhaps they should work something similar into the MC launcher once they make the game support modding natively without the need of something like MCP.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post
    I vaguely recall someone claiming the author was "against steam",. but I still feel he's shooting himself in the foot here.
    Terraria got pretty huge on steam in a fairly short span of time - perhaps because it was the only good minecraft alternative on steam, or perhaps in it's own right (it IS a good game n all).

Would you be more likely to buy it when it's on steam than otherwise? (if you dont have it already)
    It does not really add anything extra to minecraft though. It works fine the way it is, plus it is not hard to go to minecraft.net to buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Keile View Post
    Nah, MC doesn't need steam...the only perk of it is the possibility of Steam Workshop for mod support.

Perhaps they should work something similar into the MC launcher once they make the game support modding natively without the need of something like MCP.
    Weren't they talking about a unified modding API a while back? I guess nothing ever came from that. The way that tekkit has things set up with different popular and customizable modpacks already kinda offers the steam workshop type service.

Quote Originally Posted by Usaretama View Post
    Weren't they talking about a unified modding API a while back? I guess nothing ever came from that. The way that tekkit has things set up with different popular and customizable modpacks already kinda offers the steam workshop type service.
    Unified Modding API is still in the works and 1.7 took a MASSIVE leap forward (removal of ItemIds/BlockIDs). The thing is, Mojang has been busy cleaning up Notchs original coding (which apparently was pretty bad... it worked, but it wasn't efficient to make changes to). They just took one of the MCP (mod coder pack) people and hired them on full time, which is another step to a unified modding API.

As to the steam workshop: With FTB, Tekkit, heck even MultiMC to a degree (with keeping multiple custom instances available), it only adds a convenient/centralized download location.. even then the modder still has to upload his mod to Steam, so not even THAT centralized.

Deleted
    play minecraft using steam