Newbie here, looking for Dwarven advice.

Hey guys, newbie RPer here. So, I've recently started playing D&D, and I've made a Dwarven Cleric (in hindsight, a Fighter would have been a better idea, but we needed a healer). I'm having a lot of fun, but I'm not quite sure what personality traits Dwarves have, so I'm looking to you guys.

My short backstory that I've made is that I'm a local at the town we started off at, chilling in the tavern. Having racked up a considerable tab, the barkeep calls me on it, and I'm unable to pay it. Because of this, I set out on my adventures, valuing money over almost everything (hey, I gotta pay off that tab, and get more booze!). When I say valuing money over most everything else, I won't kill people over money, but I will be more inclined to do stupid things (such as take suspicious chests and items and lug them long distances for the prospect of selling them for money).

Am I playing my Dwarven character "correctly"? I don't remember reading anything about Dwarves and currency, but I figure that my character needs money to support his booze habbit, so it works...right?

Any insight to Dwarves would be greatly appreciated.

10+ Year Old Account
    You also have to consider your class in your character traits. Along with your domain as a cleric. It all goes to shaping your character.

Also dwarves don't have a completely universal personality so the region, play setting, campaign specific information is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Mercury View Post
    You also have to consider your class in your character traits. Along with your domain as a cleric. It all goes to shaping your character.

Also dwarves don't have a completely universal personality so the region, play setting, campaign specific information is needed.
    Let's see.. I submit to Cayden Cailean, the Ale god. I'm Chaotic Neutral (I think? I'd have to run and get my character sheet), and...hmm... in terms of the campaign, I don't remember a whole lot of specifics. There's a zombie infestation near a swamp, and a werewolf problem that we're too low to do at the moment. I'd struggle to tell a lot about the campaign specifically; I was overwhelmed trying to learn the Cleric class as well as playing D&D for the first time in months (and only my second time ever playing it).

Edit: I looked up Chaotic Neutral, I'm not happy with how it's described. I value money and possessions, but I'm also a Cleric and want to heal people. Hmm...
    Last edited by icedwarrior; 2013-09-28 at 08:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    Let's see.. I submit to Cayden Cailean, the Ale god. I'm Chaotic Neutral (I think? I'd have to run and get my character sheet), and...hmm... in terms of the campaign, I don't remember a whole lot of specifics. There's a zombie infestation near a swamp, and a werewolf problem that we're too low to do at the moment. I'd struggle to tell a lot about the campaign specifically; I was overwhelmed trying to learn the Cleric class as well as playing D&D for the first time in months (and only my second time ever playing it).

Edit: I looked up Chaotic Neutral, I'm not happy with how it's described. I value money and possessions, but I'm also a Cleric and want to heal people. Hmm...
    Remember that alignments are guidelines, no character follows them to the letter, not even the lawful ones that claim they do. Who is more cool, the lawful goo paladin who follows orders, or the one who questions his orders and makes exceptions when it saves lives? Maybe your character is struggling with his religion and trying to be chaotic, but has a lawful side to him? Perhaps he leans towards good, but finds overly good people obnoxious. Perhaps those who are totally neutral also annoy him. Maybe there are aspects of Dwarven culture your character loves, and some they hate.

Although many fantasy races and classes have similar backgrounds, attitudes, characteristics, etc, there are important differences to note that each campaign setting has its own unique version of that class or race. You should read a campaign settings lore before creating a character for it. In Warcraft, magic users can use tons of magic until they need a five minute break to chill out before using magic again. In Dragonlance, mages have to reread a spell and commit it to memory again before they can reuse the spell.

Anyways, just read some novels or lore on your campaign setting and you'll get a grasp on what to look for.