Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Natureseer View Post
    I hate these threads because it's just a bunch of people who never raided in in Vanilla/TBC yelling about bosses being so much harder now. Honestly if you think four horsemen, Gothik, C'thun and others were easy, you clearly don't know what you're talking about
    Oh, that is because vanilla/tbc raider's were not as skilled.....or that is what some people in this thread would have you believe. I almost never post on this site but really cannot stand nonsense comments like that. On topic however, one must look at how different the game is now compared to then, things like class homogenization, continuous rehashed mechanics, add ons, time spent in beta, have changed the raiding scene so much from then to present. Do I think raiders are better now than TBC? Absolutely not. Do I thing the game and its players are given better tools to raid and in doing so make it more accessible to raid? Yes.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacteh View Post

In terms of difficulty I would argue with anyone that these final 3 bosses of SoO are the hardest encounters in WoW to date, there is no question about that. The quality of the raiding guilds pushing for world firsts nowadays is so insanely good that the time it takes to down these bosses cannot be a judge on their difficulty. I have no doubts in saying Garrosh was harder than both Ragnaros and Lich King.

a direct quote from pacteh in the world first thread
    http://www.twitch.tv/cheezy_123
    14/14H SoO <Divinity>

Deleted
    Garrosh's difficulty is debatable. Is he the hardest boss ever done so far? For sure.

Is he that high of a climb compared to previous bosses as Lich King/ Ragnaros were before him? I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Aladya View Post
    Garrosh's difficulty is debatable. Is he the hardest boss ever done so far? For sure.

Is he that high of a climb compared to previous bosses as Lich King/ Ragnaros were before him? I don't think so.
    Madness of Deathwing was harder actually

How do you come to compare paragon 25 man to paragon 10 man? I would it rather see the opposite way, as a core of 10 players is likely to be better as 25 man with a probably even greater pool of players in demand.
    But its also is hard to compare the difficulties of 10 and 25 man, as they are different in whats actually hard for the raid, which makes it even more difficult to say if a guild has gotten better or worse.

Also like said above and before, days from first attempt to kill don't matter and even attempts are only of limited indication as player and class strength growd more and more over the time. We currently have much more cds allowing to beat dmg checks in a short time window, spine of deathwing would have been way easier with skull banners and stormlash.
    Also learning speed increases dramatically as we get more mechnanics to experience from content to content. If you would upgrade Firelands raggi hc to nowaday it would be beaten way faster as back then, simply because the mechanics are kinda easy compared to some nowadays and the sheer strength of the classes has improved greatly.

If a boss was not tuned totally horrible the current endboss is likely to be/emphasized as the hardest as long as it is a mechanic based boss, madness and sha of fear are not memorized as one of the hardest bosses simply because they have limited mechanics, were somewhat long fights with sometimes considerable checks, which are a thing of gear and hardcore guilds are undergeared 90% of the time during the world first race.

And depending on rooster stability and teamplay a 50% increase in skill or whatever is not unlikely, a player can only be as good as the game challenges go and those challenges become more complex and difficult from expansion to expansion.
    I am no hardcore or world first race player but especially because of this i have experienced how the strength of a group or a player can change. My guild spend almost three times the time on sha of fear heroic as it spend on Lei Shen heroic and Lei shen was by far not the boss with the most tries within ToT for us. Part was due to getting better players in 1 or 2 spots, part was a vastly better setup and also just better teamplay and knowledge on what the other can manage and with this also a great improve in personal skill in terms of the own class and in terms of handling boss mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    Please discuss. I'm curious as to how Garrosh ranks as it is taking some time for the top guilds to down him.
    NO not by a long shot.

C'tun #1 (was somewhat unbeatable but went the longest undefeated even after a patch.
    Kel'thuzzad #2 (maybe i'm not sure about this one)
    Mu'ru #3 (pre-nerf) it was beatable and many guilds broke up because of this boss's difficulty.

Deleted
    People just don't know what hard means :

Grinding gear ain't hard. Wiping on bugged or well overtuned bosses ain't hard (which pretty much sums up all bosses untill Wrath of the Lich King).

A hard boss: you have the required skill and gear for, but you still can't kill it, or you are so close to the kill yet so far away at the same time.

-

The hardest boss of all time is heroic ragnaros, and heroic lei shen being close after it, probably with garrosh being slightly behind lei shen.

-

If HC ragnaros had limited attempts, it would have taken guilds at least 10 weeks to kill it. Which would be more than any other boss.
    In fact people with the skill of play back in vanilla/tbc/wrath would have never been able to kill heroic ragnaros.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arteous View Post
    NO not by a long shot.

C'tun #1 (was somewhat unbeatable but went the longest undefeated even after a patch.
    Kel'thuzzad #2 (maybe i'm not sure about this one)
    Mu'ru #3 (pre-nerf) it was beatable and many guilds broke up because of this boss's difficulty.
    C'tun was bugged, so that doesn't count.
    Kelthuzzad wasn't that difficult, at least not that difficult to even belong in the top 3.
    Mu'ru was artificially scaled so you couldn't kill it mathematically.
    Last edited by mmoc19ee780deb; 2013-10-01 at 03:43 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hikashuri View Post
    Mu'ru was artificially scaled so you couldn't kill it mathematically.
    HAHA - what a joke

3 guilds killed M'uru version 1.0 during the first week of the gate being opened. Blizzard realized how much of a ballbuster it was and removed the spell pushback from Negative Energy.

Even then, you still basically had to have 20+ LWers in your raid for seamless drum rotations across at least 4 groups, on top of perfect execution.

M'uru 1.1 still destroyed more guilds than any other boss in the history of WoW (proud to say we first-killed Entropious w/ 5 people alive 3 weeks before the massive nerf).
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Karlzone View Post
    Could you elaborate?

He died within a very short time didn't he? What was that difficult about him? I didn't play at that time.

AFAIK that is incorrect. Feel free to prove me wrong however.
    Paragon got the World First LK 25man HC kill, but they did it with the 5% raid buff saying something along the lines of it being almost impossible to beat without that 5% buff, however later on they geared up more and did manage to beat it on 0%.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y2mgEAe0hY

This is almost 8 months after ICC release, no other guild did this pre 4.0.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2013-10-01 at 05:25 PM.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

One thing people are forgetting about Vanilla/early BC bosses is that they were mechanically simpler than bosses nowadays - bosses nowadays are tailored for people with boss mods/trackers, while Vanilla bosses weren't.

The difficulty from earlier bosses were solely numbers-related, not as much as mechanics-related as it is today.

I'm pretty sure Paragons has more mechanics than all of Molten Core combined.

I'm just going to post what I put in the World first thread.

I think with the current amount of personal mitigation and raid wide cd's available things have gotten easier for the "Player"; and the bosses have been tuned harder both mechanically and numbers wise to compensate. I think that Lich King would have been significantly easier with Life grips and warlock portals, along with active mitigation, spirit shell and whatever else.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywire5714 View Post
    I think that Lich King would have been significantly easier with Life grips and warlock portals, along with active mitigation, spirit shell and whatever else.
    Some guilds did cheese HLK with warlocks.

Demonic Circle = no need to DPS that Val'kyr since he can port back.

I'm just going to post what I put in the World first thread.

I think with the current amount of personal mitigation and raid wide cd's available things have gotten easier for the "Player"; and the bosses have been tuned harder both mechanically and numbers wise to compensate. I think that Lich King would have been significantly easier with Life grips and warlock portals, along with active mitigation, spirit shell and whatever else.
    "When you get defile, click the portal"

but realistically, LK was insanely hard but people overestimate its difficulty and forget about limited attempts. It was still vastly less attempts for top guilds than a lot of other 'hardest of all time' type fights. Also, I haven't pulled Garrosh, I make no judgement on it, but...every time a new 'hard' boss comes out the top guilds at the time proclaim it to be the hardest ever. I kind of take that with a grain of salt. Lich King was the 'hardest ever' (muru was harder). Ragnaros was the hardest ever (I actually think it was true at the time), Lei Shen was the hardest ever (again, disagree), etc. Then we get 3 'hardest ever' bosses in a single tier. We'll see. I think this topic tends to get more accurate with history bearing it out than with hyperbole and assumptions right at the end of the race. It's ALWAYS the hardest boss of all time when one guild has killed it.
    Last edited by theyanger; 2013-10-01 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by theyanger View Post
    LK was insanely hard but people overestimate its difficulty and forget about limited attempts.
    I don't think people overestimate it's difficulty. Paragon killed it world first in 174 pulls I believe which isn't much; but with limited attempts guilds spend way more time planning and less time actually fighting the boss. So in my opinion, 174 carefully planned out attempts is very comparable to 300+ attempts of just throwing yourself at the boss (without limited attempts).

Deleted
    Madness of Deathwing was harder actually
    It just makes me laugh when people post stuff like this, especially since he was replying to someone from method xD

Deleted
    Till we see a video of Garrosh or hear from the players that killed him i still go with Yogg+0 as the hardest.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dionyssos View Post
    Till we see a video of Garrosh or hear from the players that killed him i still go with Yogg+0 as the hardest.
    Just because this was the last boss you progressed or what? Ragnaros, Lei Shen and Siegecrafter are harder than Yogg+0, just to name a few example where its about group coordination and damage on early progression levels.

I quit during 5.1, so I have no comment for Garrosh, but I raided at a very high level from Vanilla through to DS and have a few thoughts for this thread.

One I rule out immediately is C’Thun. He was overtuned to the point of impossibility. At the time, people actually believed that Blizzard didn’t even want him killed. After he was nerfed, the first guild that reached him killed him. There’s a big difference between hard to kill and impossible, and pre-nerf C’Thun was the latter.

My top three:

Yogg 0: Following on from what I said above about hard/impossible, it’s funny that people are arguing this for the simple reason that only one guild figured out how to kill his pre-nerf state making this possible. I remember Ensidia at the time complaining that they weren’t even bothering with him because the last phase was such a mess. All the other kills pre-nerf that followed only happened after Stars released detailed guides on how to handle the shadow beacons in P3. Even still, most Death’s Demise guilds killed him post-nerf when the beacons were limited to three.

M’uru: Even despite the first week nerfs, M’uru stands (to me) as the pinnacle of the ultimate gear and skill check. Everyone in the fight had an important job, and most people had more than one job. The adds had to be controlled and killed, he had to be pushed at the right wave and you had to have the damage, healing and situational awareness for the last phase. Pre 3.0, until you had M’uru trinkets and KJ weapons, if one person screwed up, or lagged, the fight would wipe. Pure perfection.

4HM (Vanilla): I could have picked Heroic LK, Heroic Rag or KT/Vashj, as they were all exceptional fights (though the artificial gating of H LK with the ICC buff kind of ruined it) but having 8 warriors wearing 4 piece T3 was a hard enough challenge of its own, let alone the damage they took, managing taunt misses, stack dancing, and keeping everyone alive throughout the fight. There are other fights that were technically more difficult and others that were far more gimmicky but the sheer brute force pain of 4HM I’ll never forget.

Quote Originally Posted by spoon77 View Post

Yogg 0: Following on from what I said above about hard/impossible, it’s funny that people are arguing this for the simple reason that only one guild figured out how to kill his pre-nerf state making this possible. I remember Ensidia at the time complaining that they weren’t even bothering with him because the last phase was such a mess. All the other kills pre-nerf that followed only happened after Stars released detailed guides on how to handle the shadow beacons in P3. Even still, most Death’s Demise guilds killed him post-nerf when the beacons were limited to three.
    Yeah people are severely down playing the difficulty of this fight. I was part of a top 25 (world) kill and we didn't even pull the boss much pre 3.2, it was a complete mess. However the nerfs rendered the fight a complete joke, and we easily killed it 2 days after the patch hit. Kinda sad it had to be two extremes, they should have just left it the way it was tbh.

As a disclaimer I have not raided competitively since ICC, but the fights today seem very complex in comparison to the past. However I think you do have to take into consideration the immense changes not only in player skill but all the new talents and stuff that have really changed the game. H Lei Shen looks incredibly complex compared to a fight like Algalon (who was a letdown btw), but the game has evolved so much you're really just comparing apples to oranges at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kihi View Post
    compared to a fight like Algalon (who was a letdown btw)
    I feel like people only praise this boss because of what the room looks like. I really can't think of any other reason.