Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    Why shouldn't they invest a hundred million or so on fixing wows shortcomings and secure its second life?
    Because gameplay is what made WoW great, not graphics, so there's zero point in investing money and time on very little gain.

Age of Conan, Aion, FFXIV, Rift, SWToR all claimed to be WoW killers and advertised with superior graphics, and what happened? Shit gameplay means shit game, all the eyecandy in the world will not make up for it.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

A muppet would be someone who forever is fine with low standard graphics , not people who demand more. We are the ones who drive innovation and progress. Why can't you compare gta and wow? Wow makes gta money every year, so why don't they invest it back into the game? I don't dislike wow, but let's not delude ourselves into thinking their graphics are good. Why shouldn't they invest a hundred million or so on fixing wows shortcomings and secure its second life?
    LOLOLOL. Wanting better graphics = driving innovation and progress.
    This is totally what's wrong with the gaming market these days.

Also, a hundred million or so? do people really not think Blizzard has any overheads with WoW and that all the subscriptions are just profit?
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post

Age of Conan, Aion, FFXIV, Rift, SWToR all claimed to be WoW killers and advertised with superior graphics, and what happened? Shit gameplay means shit game, all the eyecandy in the world will not make up for it.
    None of those games claimed that and all of them do have better graphics than wow. Since this thread is about graphics no need to bash the game play of other games.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    Using your argument, we should never improve anything in WoW. After all, gameplay is the only thing that matters. Might as well downgrade to greyscale textures. It will save us a lot of texture memory and memory bandwidth. >.>
    I forget, this is the internet. We aren't here to discus. We are here to have a feeling we won an "argument". If the above is really all you got from my post there really is no point in conversing with you.

Have fun "winning" your thread!

its amazing to see how many defenders of this method of laziness does blizz has...
    its not just the outdated engine , it the outdated hardware supporting the engine and ancient code running on it..

can you take a moment please and think about what 10 years means in computer games?

2004 - MMORPG 3D Wow
    1994 - VGA 2D RTS warcraft 2 or the first DOOM (without any 3D card)
    1984 - 4 colors load runner..?

how many excuses can you get while seeing that even after 10 years you are still using the same original models that the game was launched with?
    same textures , same everything...

yes they gave us several new models every couple of years along with 1 new 3D engine feature and some new textures but thats not enough, not for this kind of huge, successfull and profitable game...

IMO by wotlk they should have made it into WOW 2 sort of speak with utilizing all thier man power and money they made to actualy build/buy a new game engine and adjust the art style / build models / write proper codes so it wont be to realistic for a cartoon style game and keep all the vibe of the old wow in the new wow and keep thier cash cow alive for another decade,
    but they didnt, and thats why soon enough problems like the squish or other compatibility problems will rise and dev time will be used to just keep the game alive due to its ancient harware and code and engine that we might end up getting the new models in the last xpac and by that time they will be obsolete already.

The graphics is one of the wow parts, which made this game so popular and lasting for so long.

i cant believe this thread has as many responses as it does.

WoW has a unique set of graphics, you knew what you were getting and you got it.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Xisa View Post
    If you don't know a game runs the way it does, you don't have the right to complain about it.

Read and learn how things work. Complaining doesn't accomplish anything.
    Now if the service was 100% free then no we would have no right to complain.

However as long as we are paying for it we have every right to complain, if we didn’t nothing would ever get better.

There is too much role reversal with games today, particularly in WoW where the customer base has deluded themselves in to thinking they are beholden to game developers.

The devs are not gods, and we are not peasants that should be thankful for any bread crumbs they toss out, we don’t bow to them, nor do we kiss their hind ends. We are the customer, they bow to us, they kiss our hind ends, because without us they don’t have a game, without us they don’t have a job.
    Last edited by Cobaltius; 2013-09-29 at 02:47 PM.

What they should do is HD the whole textures. If you look at Tier sets you can see how the HD factor has improved, but man T1 or T2...still looks a bit blurry with details.

Because the engine is a decade old if not more.

Deleted
    This thread again

10+ Year Old Account
    You're complaining about the game not looking superb when set to FAIR? Try setting it to ultra then.

See, Blizz has to decide how the looks of graphics changes when you decrease quality in order to get a higher performance on those old and shabby computers that many people still run the game on. That they chose to make water kinda ugly is understandable. It serves no gameplay purpose. The only purpose of water being all shiny sparkly and ripply is to look nice. And you don't need that in order to play the game properly.

Long story short: If you want WoW graphics to look awesome and water to be realistic enough, get a computer where you can run everything on ultra. And WoW's graphics will look awesome enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lukec1996 View Post
    Again, going off my own experiences, but other than D3, none of their games are well optimized, you could have the best computer in the world and still lag in big battle in SC2 on medium or high settings and lag in a 40m raid on high/ultra settings in WoW. It's actually a relatively large flaw in Blizzard's master plan and seems to be there in most of their recent games. Dunno how their older games played, only started when WoW launched and didn't get into the SC universe until Wings.
    My computer is capable of playing SC 2 on ultra settings without any issues and I don't even have "the best computers in the world" (still a good computer). Don't know what the heck you are smoking.
    Last edited by Frozen Death Knight; 2013-09-29 at 03:07 PM.

With cataclysm release (plus DX11) they done a lot of upgrades to the water and for that moment it was 1 of the better water simulations in a game. especially waves as they did was something not done before in other games and they were praised for it.

But eventually time will catch up and so will technique. but it still looks and perhaps more importantly feels good to me.

Does the OP have DX11?
    Or what kinda GPU do you have, never budget on a GPU if it's a gaming rig
    Last edited by Noctus78; 2013-09-29 at 03:02 PM.
    Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm".
    And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."
    Noctus <Darkblade>

Deleted
    the problem with wows engine isnt that how it looks but how it runs.
    i have not much money, so always lowspec pc. but when i get a new graphicscard that is better than what i have, wow loses fps....
    just for coparisant:
    i currently run with a ati 7750 and have 60fps with high ghraphics. when i compare that to the x800 i used just a few weeks before i have the same performance..... maybe 5 fps more but nothing i would actually see.
    wow just scales realy bad with graphiccard advancement, that needs to be adressed

10+ Year Old Account
    A muppet would be someone who forever is fine with low standard graphics , not people who demand more. We are the ones who drive innovation and progress. Why can't you compare gta and wow? Wow makes gta money every year, so why don't they invest it back into the game? I don't dislike wow, but let's not delude ourselves into thinking their graphics are good. Why shouldn't they invest a hundred million or so on fixing wows shortcomings and secure its second life?
    Sure, let's compare them. In the left corner! Heavy Weight MMO Champion World of WarCraft with an engine from the early 2000s! In the right corner! The brand new overhyped game GTA V with some of the latest technology out there under the hood along with being built on a console that came out in 2006, a whole two years after WoW!

Man, I can't wait to see who wins. It's like a race between a used car and a newly manufactured racing car.

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering the game is nearly 10 years old I am amazed how well they have done considering what they have to work with

The only way you will get a better graphics update on an extreme level would be for blizzard to make a wow 2, using a new engine.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
    None of those games claimed that and all of them do have better graphics than wow. Since this thread is about graphics no need to bash the game play of other games.
    AoC specifically advertised with the new and shiny DX10 graphics as one of their major selling points. Fans put all those other games (including GW2 I forgot from the list) on pedestal because of more photorealistic graphics than WoW.

All of those games prove that no amount of eyecandy makes up for inferior gameplay.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    You guys fed the OP enough to last him a month.
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally enjoy WoW's graphics. It has the right fantasy vibe for me given the world we're playing in. And the engine is freakin' old and still kicking. I'll take it.

Now, I also love the FFXIV graphics, too, but it's a different kind of game.