Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by frumper View Post
    No amount of new models will cause anything more than a small bump in subs. Its an old game, if you're tired of playing it, you're tired. Adding a few polygons to player models isn't going to change how you play the game, and the models will never look like next gen models in single player games.
    People don't play WoW for the graphics. They play it for just about everything else about the game.

It is a fantasy pixel world but it's intended to be cartoonish, not realistic. There are a lot of downsides to "realistic" looking games.

Because the game is ten years old. Not sure what you expect.

Not only is the engine old, WoW has to run on ancient machines/setups in order to not alienate longstanding subscribers who don't update their specs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because it's almost 10 years old! OOOOOOH /THREAD!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    What miracle? GTA 5 looks pretty much the same as GTA 4 graphics wise.

Anyway, I don't think WoW's graphics should be a problem for anyone but the engine is horribly outdated. You can keep tuning an old car, but unless you put in a brand new engine it won't matter that much. Yeah, I'm not a car expert but I think you get what I'm trying to say.
    They don't look at all the same unless you're considering with mods on PC.

But yeah, considering development began in 1999 (though some updates have been made with expansions), it's safe to say that's a big reason they're not exactly Crysis-level graphics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Abstieg View Post
    Models are basically the only thing that's outdated in terms of graphics.
    You obviously haven't tried transmog'ing older sets. The graphics resolution on older expansion's armors are fucking terrible. They are in dire need of updating.

The graphical STYLE of WoW is fine, I like the cartoony looks. Some people don't. The graphical QUALITY of WoW is extremely outdated, and that mostly has to do with running the game on an almost 20 year old engine. Most modern MMOs have much higher quality graphics, but also use updated or modern engines to support them. For example, while the STYLE of TERA is different from WoW, the quality is mind-blowingly good. I can run that game at Ultra settings without a single hiccup at 60FPS solid. GW2 is the same way; smooth all the way around. WoW, on the other hand, as soon as things start happening, down come the FPS. It's just outdated, and there is absolutely no way possible to argue against that. While I would certainly love to see them update the QUALITY of the graphics in WoW, I just don't think the engine can take much more. It was made to run on hardware far, far outdated compared to what we're using today.

I'm not even talking about models, either. To up the poly count on the models that really need it would probably kill the game. I think bumping the count on the player races will be fine, but to do it to EVERYTHING (which arguably is needed, if they're going to make our models look good) would just be too much for the engine to tolerate.

I just wish they'd switch over to a proprietary engine, or fucking build a new one. The Unreal engine, which TERA runs on, would be perfect. Or the ID...5? Whatever iteration they're on. Gamebryo is just so beyond outdated, it drives me fucking NUTS that game companies still use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Abstieg View Post
    Models are basically the only thing that's outdated in terms of graphics.
    and the low res texture
    and the 3D objects
    and the land generating algorythm
    and the lighting
    and the physics engine
    and pretty much everything

10+ Year Old Account
    This dude just said the water was a plastic piece of crap. OP obviously hasn't seen water in real life. I have some info man not all water is crystal clear on white sand

beaches and clear ass swimming pool. Most water in nature looks muggy and like the water in Wow just like the picture that was posted earlier of the water and the lily

pads and how it looks exactly like the damn game water on ultra. Stop bitching about the water and find a way to upgrade your system cause everyone else's water is

shiny.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    I just wish they'd switch over to a proprietary engine, or fucking build a new one. The Unreal engine, which TERA runs on, would be perfect. Or the ID...5? Whatever iteration they're on. Gamebryo is just so beyond outdated, it drives me fucking NUTS that game companies still use it.
    Sony's Forlight engine is pretty good from what i saw. it is used for Everquest Next and Planetside 2.
    I played planetside 2, pretty smooth and from what i saw from everquest next, it look really good and include world destruction.

My dream is a seamless mass effect MMO with the frostbyte 3 engine.

Quote Originally Posted by helmaroc View Post
    This dude just said the water was a plastic piece of crap. OP obviously hasn't seen water in real life. I have some info man not all water is crystal clear on white sand

beaches and clear ass swimming pool. Most water in nature looks muggy and like the water in Wow just like the picture that was posted earlier of the water and the lily

pads and how it looks exactly like the damn game water on ultra. Stop bitching about the water and find a way to upgrade your system cause everyone else's water is

shiny.
    WoW water really does look like plastic, google the word river and compare the images to the picture of a river posted earlier in the thread. I could cherry pick some water that looked like WoW water, that's true, however WoW water isn't terribly dynamic and looks the same at the center of a body as it does at the edges and disregards motion, depth, etc. Saying it looks plastic is totally fair.

Not that it needs to be amazing, but saying it looks great is silly.

Engine age has very little to do with WoW's current aesthetic or performance. Did you know most of the computers you guys have are running on technology over 30 years old? No wonder all your computers run poorly!!! x86 is old and bad!!!

But seriously, the age of WoW's engine means practically zilch. They make constant changes and updates to it. It doesn't matter if it started as the engine that powered WC3, because it isn't that engine anymore. It's development suicide to just scrap your existing codebase just to state that you have NEW code now! I can guarantee that WoW's programmers aren't just sitting around not improving the engine.

WoW's biggest issue is going to be maintaining support for legacy data. Despite Pandaria blowing the pants off of Outland in all technical aspects, the engine still needs to run Outland without you noticing any differences (other than the ones they want, like the newer shadows).

Blizz has started to give out interviews with their tech people in recent times, probably to help cast aside nonsense like ZOMG IT RUNS OFF THE SAME CODE WARCRAFT 3 DID NO WONDER IT IS BAD. They have also stated that they had a philosophy change a while back about letting more powerful hardware make the game look better. Hence the reason you are seeing the game started to rapidly advance in the shader and effect fronts.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Troopsmith View Post
    Engine age has very little to do with WoW's current aesthetic or performance. Did you know most of the computers you guys have are running on technology over 30 years old? No wonder all your computers run poorly!!! x86 is old and bad!!!
    The x86 today is practically a disguised RISC processor as it breaks instructions into microOp internally. The only similarity between something like the 386 and modern i7/5/3 processors is the instruction set - even that has changed somewhat over the years. The internals have been revamped almost every generation, adding stuff like branch prediction, OOO processing (the Pentium was I believe the first Superscalar x86 CPU) ... etc. They didn't just "modify" an existing design.

Blizz has started to give out interviews with their tech people in recent times, probably to help cast aside nonsense like ZOMG IT RUNS OFF THE SAME CODE WARCRAFT 3 DID NO WONDER IT IS BAD. They have also stated that they had a philosophy change a while back about letting more powerful hardware make the game look better. Hence the reason you are seeing the game started to rapidly advance in the shader and effect fronts.
    Would be much appreciated if they did. I'm curious as to their choice of water algorithm, why the specular highlights look so diffused and why water distortion is limited to high and ultra modes only when a Mario game from 10+ years ago can do distortion just fine on 10+ year old hardware
    Last edited by SodiumChloride; 2013-09-30 at 05:39 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    Because programmers work on content ... right ...

Edit: Sorry if I come across as condensing. A bit grumpy at the moment.
    You would have to redo a lot of textures to higher resolutions. That is artists work hours.
    And programmers do work on new content
    PM me weird stuff :3

Quote Originally Posted by lukec1996 View Post
    WoW's current engine is based off of the Classic WoW engine, which was originally based off the Warcraft 3 engine. Considering the roots of WoW's current graphics engine, its damned impressive that they've made as much of it as they have. I don't know what you've seen of WC3, but it isn't terribly good looking, however for a game made in 2003, its up there with some of the best.
    Not to mention that Blizzard design their games to be playable by almost everyone, trust me, there's tons of people out there with really really bad computers, i know a few my self that can barely run D3 / WoW on LOW settings.

Although the texture quality is crap, the "style" of the game is what matters to me.
    And they do improve the engine every expansion, MoP content got pretty decent texture quality compared to old vanilla textures.
    Sethraz - Havoc Demon Hunter - Draenor EU - Achievement Points: 22220+ - Mounts: 472+

Quote Originally Posted by lopk View Post
    As already stated, it's a really, REALLY old engine. It's disappointing though, that the fps I get on ultra GW2 isn't that much different than Ultra WoW.
    what?? WoW is much more optimized i get on wow ultra settings 60 steady FPS with vsync

on GW i bearly get 35 sometime drop to 10 and on medium settings

and TBH i prefer wow graphics

i wont forgat the look of male human in GW2 looks like some kind of barby doll

gtx 650 ti boost 2g

intel e7500 2.9ghz

Quote Originally Posted by mich4el View Post
    what?? WoW is much more optimized i get on wow ultra settings 60 steady FPS with vsync

on GW i bearly get 35 sometime drop to 10 and on medium settings

and TBH i prefer wow graphics

i wont forgat the look of male human in GW2 looks like some kind of barby doll

gtx 650 ti boost 2g

intel e7500 2.9ghz
    You should probably make sure that the game is using your graphics card.

The x86 today is practically a disguised RISC processor as it breaks instructions into microOp internally. The only similarity between something like the 386 and modern i7/5/3 processors is the instruction set - even that has changed somewhat over the years. The internals have been revamped almost every generation, adding stuff like branch prediction, OOO processing (the Pentium was I believe the first Superscalar x86 CPU) ... etc. They didn't just "modify" an existing design.
    That's exactly my point. The WoW engine of today is nothing like it used to be, just as x86 isn't.

Also the evolution of x86 absolutely took existing designs. Best example being Intel switching back to the Pentium M's microarchitecture to update it for the first Core chips, dropping the NetBurst MA that was being used in P4s. And they keep evolving the same designs to the point that they are no longer that which they started with.

Just like WoW.

Has anyone noticed the AMAZING water detail on Immerserus? The channels of water feeding into him on Ultra look surreal (in a good way).

I like WoW's graphics (if it wasn't already obvious).

A want a more efficient engine i.e. one that runs better.
    That's what they're doing with Titan, and you can already see since the time that we've known about the project until now, that game hasn't even seen the light of day nor is it anywhere close to it. What does it have to do with WoW? Everything. Blizzard takes their time with game dev, in all aspects of it. Just swapping the renderer would take a lot of time and resource for a minimal upgrade in actual gameplay. Sure, the water will look nicer, but I'm pretty sure players are more interested in more content instead of revamping the world.

I mean look at Cataclysm. It made huge changes to the world, including making the entire old-world flyable. Everyone now takes it for granted, and the clear lack of content in Cata caused the downfall that hasn't recovered, even as good as MoP has been.

And yes, there would be a lack of content whenever R&D or a graphical change is needed. You still need artists to work on making the shaders for water, or generating the right maps and effects to make water splashes and reflections look good.
    Last edited by Thimagryn; 2013-09-30 at 04:22 PM.