Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I have bought a couple of mounts and the helmets. Goes good with my transmogs. I could get a full game on steam-sale for the same price, so it's kinda stupid, however I play wow far more than any other game, so I think it's worth it. You don't need these items, so I have nothing against this added feature.
    Mother pus bucket!

Deleted
    Nah, Blizzard aren't polite enough to tell us when they're caressing our bums. Every extra fee they want to add is already included in the monthly fee, micro transactions, and price of new x-packs. You really think that the entirety of your 15 bucks when buying a blizzard store pet goes to making more blizzard store pets? Or the entirety of your monthly fee goes to making sure the service is provided to you? 80% is pocket money for them and always been. xD

I have always known this is how it works but y'know what? They are worth it because I'm still paying and enjoying myself :>

Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    Yeah, the raging success of the transmog gear Blizzard says themselves failed spectacularly will totally make them put more out.

Christ almighty, I know some of you have hard ons for hating everything Blizzard does anymore because they must've touched you in the middle of the night. Please, try not to let it cloud any further posts from you.
    I have not seen any posts from Blizzard regarding sales figures of the helms, do you have a link?

To be honest is it appalling that you would use the subject of sexual abuse in such a way.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    Because free to play MMOs are free to play. For WoW you pay a subscription. I think that's reason enough.

Let's calculate how much I spent in GW2 then since you're giving an example. I bought it when it launched, but because it was cheaper in my country, 40 euros. And I didn't pay a single cent since then, yet got all the content and I never felt I needed to buy something. In fact, I can get most stuff I want by farming gold! Well how about that! So 1 year for 40 euros.
    Now let's look at WoW. Again, expansion would have been cheaper, 40 euros... plus 15 per month. That would mean 220 euros per year. And for that money I still don't get free character transfers at least once in a blue moon or... a free name change at least 1 per year or something similar. Heck, if my server died, I would not get a transfer more likely unless I pay!

The idea is that unless you're absolutely forced to buy something, buying it is just out of your own choice.
    In WoW you're forced to buy the expansion and pay the fee if you want to play.
    In GW2 I was only forced to buy the game.

Do you see the difference?

- - - Updated - - -

No, they're not selling gear with stats. Yet. They are selling gear, for now the gear is just cosmetic helms though. For now.
    I prefer to look at WoW as a price per expansion number rather than a price per year number. So:
    Vanilla: apprx 520
    Burning Crusade: apprx 520
    Wrath: apprx: 520
    Cataclysm: apprx 520
    Pandas: 260 and counting, with no beta yet I'm assuming 520

That's a big price tag for a video game.

Regarding the selling of cosmetic armor, this one's kinda weird. The challenge of the game is managed regardless of numeric values as we'll see with the stat crunch, so most things in the game are primarily cosmetic including stats. They do offer a pet that can be sold for gold though, so they are selling in game advantages, which I believe is the main concern with selling things in game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    I do wonder what they intend to bleed the players for next? new raids (download raids for $5 each)?, instant max level? there probably even charge us for character model updates when there finished, calling it now, this is what they will do.
    You're delusional if you think they would go through with something like this. And, from my standpoint, I don't see Blizzard making the mistakes here, it's fucking Activision. Activision has been a poison to Blizzard ever since they came together. It's hard to believe a strong company like Blizzard, after seeing the Feats they reached in Wrath of the Lich King with their highest player base would make a fool of themselves, by themselves, with something as bad as the Cata expansion and Diablo 3. All of these mistakes we're are seeing "by Blizzard" is actually Activision screwing everything over.

10+ Year Old Account
    because its for one class type only, and blizzard figures if they can make armor that everyone can use, like the helmets, then they can get everyone buying them.
    He has a point Trassk, admit it.
    They had the chance to put that set in the shop and they didn't
    Pretty sure they won't do the kind of event like the helmet again, blizzard knows what to do when negativity comes in place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    Because free to play MMOs are free to play. For WoW you pay a subscription. I think that's reason enough.

Let's calculate how much I spent in GW2 then since you're giving an example. I bought it when it launched, but because it was cheaper in my country, 40 euros. And I didn't pay a single cent since then, yet got all the content and I never felt I needed to buy something. In fact, I can get most stuff I want by farming gold! Well how about that! So 1 year for 40 euros.
    Now let's look at WoW. Again, expansion would have been cheaper, 40 euros... plus 15 per month. That would mean 220 euros per year. And for that money I still don't get free character transfers at least once in a blue moon or... a free name change at least 1 per year or something similar. Heck, if my server died, I would not get a transfer more likely unless I pay!

The idea is that unless you're absolutely forced to buy something, buying it is just out of your own choice.
    In WoW you're forced to buy the expansion and pay the fee if you want to play.
    In GW2 I was only forced to buy the game.

Do you see the difference?
    You completely through his point to the side and didn't even take account for it. So what you didn't spend more money on GW2 in a year compared to WoW. You're comparing a Ferrari to a beat up Truck. World of Warcraft has probably given you a better run for your money over the years than GW2 will ever give you. On top of that, he stated "Micro transactions CAN creep up on you." THEY DO! I stopped playing WoW a while back to start playing DC Universe Online. They have a free to play model, but you can buy your expansions, so you can do more dungeons, raids, etc. You can also purchase tokens to reset raids so you can get more gear in the given week. They had a sale for triple the currency on your purchase. I spent $100 on the game, got $300 worth of currency out of it, used maybe $30 of it and got into Dota 2. Still have $200 something left on the account and I don't even play it. Point is, when there is something that looks cool and seems like it is going to benefit you, people with wallets are going to oblige.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mmochampionuserone View Post
    sucsusfool.
    woot?
    /10 chars

Infracted: Please post constructively. Thank you. [ML]
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2013-09-29 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    What annoys me is that Blizzard managed fine before they introduced the shop, infact they done fine before they even had anything near the cash cow that is WoW. Their game is declining slightly, lets not bullshit ourselves, and thats fine, its still one of the biggest MMOs out there.

The way to keep their profits up isnt to stab the playerbase in the back by giving them exclusive content at unreasonable prices. Its to admit their mistakes, downsize, and get their server populations back in order, instead of pretending that they can still accomodate the current playerbase by spreading them thin on too many servers.

The cash shop is so unnecessary for a multinational, mega company like Blizzard, which still has several other top games. If anything all it does is makes them lose face and trust, all for minor profits im sure they could piss away in a day and not even blink. Our subscription is enough, if they want to give us options for cosmetics put them in the damn game in the form of challenges or whatever, doesnt need to be HC content, just easy stuff thats fun.

The reason smaller games have cash shops is because they truly need the profits, World of Warcraft is above the profits they get from the cash shop. The only good thing ive seen from the shop is the charity fund raising, thats about it for me.
    Please just stop.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Gotten too expensive? The sub price hasn't ever changed...how has it possibly gotten more expensive? If you're paying for optional features like a race change or a server transfer that's on you. Your fault.
    We are still in the Second Great Depression, also known as the Great Recession. It's pretty hard to find a comfortable economic ground that allows people to play WoW these days.

Personally, unless the terms "Premade Exclusive Group Content" and "Item Squish" are removed from WoW's dictionary in the next expansion, both of which are highly unlikely, WoW's value is stinted for me. And I'm one of the ex-players who spent hundreds of dollars just to keep playing in the hopes that maybe there would be everything for everyone instead of everything for a small group of people who act like lobbyists in Blizzard's statistics department.
    A wise saying once said "A wise man builds a foundation from the bricks others have thrown at him."

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I do wonder what they intend to bleed the players for next? new raids (download raids for $5 each)?
    Might not be a bad idea. Given how expensive they are to make and how few players actually enjoy them "the way they were meant to be played". Don't see why the majority should fund content they never really see and don't really enjoy.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a long time Street Fighter player and member of the FGC, and also a fan of Blizzard games, I have never spent money on microtransactions because I've never had to in order to win.
    I'm just here to complain, if I'm being honest

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    No kidding. I recently played a free-to-play phone came and calculated everything I spent in it in two months.

3 $49.99 reloads of "donuts" (Simpsons!) + 5 $.99 Golden Tickets + 1 $9.99 reload of donuts. About $165 in two months.
    Are you crazy? Why would any sane person pay for modifying few bytes in the memory of HIS OWN phone??
    If you can't play the game fair - install game guardian and cheat for free.

The world is just crazy nowadays...

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    So if I'm not allowed to disagree with you or point out that some of your points are grossly inaccurate, what's the point of this being a thread? Maybe make a blog post somewhere? You're obviously quite angry at Blizzard for something.

For one thing you're not making fair or accurate comparisons. Lets go over them anyway shall we?

The only place where Blizzard deviates from the standard as far as MMO purchases go is that for most MMOs you can get the base game and all expansions prior to the current expansion for one price, and then the latest expansion costs extra. Where with WoW you get Vanilla, TBC, and WLK as one package, and then Cata and MoP are both separate IIRC. Of course every single one of your example games is a much smaller game than WoW and is fighting tooth and nail for every player that it can get. Where as with WoW, even after it's massive sub losses, can still get away with doing things like that. Most of the games you listed are only F2P because they failed, if they hadn't failed they would still be charging you a fee as long as it was profitable for them to do so. That's business.

You are most definitely NOT required to pay the cost of every single expansion. At the very least BC and WLK are included with Vanilla now.

I'll agree that the cost of the additional services is quite steep, and I'd like to see those reduced at some point. I have no issue with the cost of mini pets, that's fine, but yeah the cost of mounts is a bit crazy.

The transmog armor, whether that has a future or not (Notice that there hasn't been more yet, if Blizzard were truly greedy they'd be pumping that content out quite rapidly.) depends largely on how popular it was. And by popular I don't mean "On the forums." I mean popular as in how many people actually bought those items.

Blizzard, like it or not, is still the same company it's always been. Blame Activision for the things you don't like or them being corporate now or whatever, but this is the road they've been on forever. You want to criticize Blizzard? At least criticize them for things that they actually do. That's what I do when I have a complaint, I complain about things that they actually do. Going back as far as I can remember, every time Blizzard releases a new game in a series, it's less challenging than the previous game, and it's missing features from the previous game. Blizzard derps quite frequently.

For as long as I can remember people have criticized Blizzard, the fans being the loudest whiners, and the complaints have not changed much in the 15+ years that I've been aware that Blizzard games were a thing. The truth of the matter is, if Blizzard was half as greedy as some people claim, they wouldn't be half-assing their potentially money making features. Look at StarCraft 2, they're putting faaaaaaar more money into that than one would expect them to, running worldwide tournaments for it for pretty much this entire year. They never launched the two ways they could have monetized that game, which were the map shop and paid name changes. I just don't see the greed.

Capcom has done some pretty mehhh things. Like the SFxT on disc DLC thing. That was pretty sucky, because my opinion is that DLC should really be developed after a game is finished and be an add-on for the game, not something that's already done and then sold to players. However, Capcom is still a respectable company that still makes some amazing games. Their big issue, and why they are having financial issues right now, is that in recent years they've outsourced a lot of their games to western developers and the quality had gone down. They've now severed ties with those western developers and are taking the reins again for some of those franchises. Hopefully quality goes up. Hopefully their missteps have taught them something, and they're more careful / less sleazy with their DLC in the future. Capcom and Blizzard are nothing at all alike aside from being companies that can, when they try, make some seriously amazing games.

You can call me a fan of those companies and dismiss my thoughts if you want, but you'd be wrong. I'm only a fan so much as I like StarCraft and WarCraft from Blizzard, and Street Fighter / RE from Capcom, but I'm not fanatical about them, and I'm not above criticizing either company, and sometimes somewhat harshly. Still I have to call it like I see it, and the majority of offenses mentioned in the OP are largely imagined.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love how people defend the ridiculous prices. What to change factions? 30 dollars!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    He has a point Trassk, admit it.
    They had the chance to put that set in the shop and they didn't
    Pretty sure they won't do the kind of event like the helmet again, blizzard knows what to do when negativity comes in place.
    I believe the negativity came in due to the price of the helms. Had they been 5 US dollars, IMO they would have been received a lot better. For me it wasn't the fact they were selling transmog gear (I saw this coming from a MILE awhile) but the price. Had it been 15 bucks for a gear set, ok sweet, but it was for a helm.

With that said, I don't feel like outside of the normal services needed to buy anything from the store. I never played with the pets and even if I did I don't feel like I need to buy the pets from the store. Same thing for mounts, I am not a mount collector and none of the mounts make me want to spend 25 bucks. If it was 5 bucks.....maybe, but there isn't really a mount I want in the shop. Transmog gear, I love transmog, but I will never spend 15 bucks on a helm. This game has never made me feel like I HAVE to spend more money than 15 bucks a month.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corrupted View Post
    I love how people defend the ridiculous prices. What to change factions? 30 dollars!!!!
    I agree to an extent,

But I'm also going to use logic and think the price is to also help avoid massive floods of people constantly using these services.

I can't count how many times I've heard people say they'd transfer if "xxx service didn't cost that much, and if it was affordable I'd do it often !".

I know it's anecdotal evidence, but I see it as being likely.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by Corrupted View Post
    This is the thing I cannot understand, I can see why people would not have an issue with the prices but to defend them and go so far as to actually attack and insult people who do have an issue with them makes no sense to me.

If the people that have issue with the prices of added services, expansions, etc are successful in causing Blizzard to review and reduce the prices surely the people that feel that the services, etc are value for money are now getting even better value?

Deleted
    It's sad but it's so true, it's actually the main reason why I stopped playing this game and it's a shame so many people keep defending Blizzard's greediness.

Realm transfers should be f****ing free atleast, give the player the ability to transfer 1 character for free atleast each month or two. Asking a lot of money for this is just legally stealing, other MMORPG's have free transfers aswell.