Thread: Radeon 7990

Deleted

Radeon 7990

Hello!

Now that the prices on the 7xxx series have gone waaay down, I've thought about buying one of these. A dutch site is selling the club 3d version for about 480 euros. I mostly play world of warcraft and league of legends (1440p) my main concern is that the card doesn't perform well in those games (techpowerups testrun in world of warcraft was pretty horrible tbh but the review is old). Does anyone have up to date info if the new drivers have improved the performance? Is this card any good for world of warcraft?

Deleted
    WoW can only utilise a single GPU core, and Blizzard games in general favour nVidia. In addition you don't need to invest that much in GPU for either of those games, for example 680s have dropped a lot in price lately and it is a very solid card.

Deleted
    in a nut shell, WOW doesnt use Xfire or SLI, so you wont get any benefit from this one game, and LOL isnt demanding really... as in, nothing is gonna push it below 60 FPS from a gpu front, if you dont play other types of games, that card is useless, if you play an array and often enough, its fair game, but make sure you have a PSU that can run it, i think people here will want to know what it is

Deleted
    Well yeah it comes with bunch of games too (which it should run with ease, right?). My current psu is corsair ax760.

I wouldn't bother getting that if you're just gonna play wow. If anything save your money and get one of the new AMD graphics cards when they're released.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Quote Originally Posted by looz View Post
    WoW can only utilise a single GPU core, and Blizzard games in general favour nVidia. In addition you don't need to invest that much in GPU for either of those games, for example 680s have dropped a lot in price lately and it is a very solid card.
    Where have you found 680's? Everywhere I look they are sold out which sucks because I Wanted to buy another.

Deleted
    Wait for the new range of Radeon card, R9 290X will be a decent single core card, and it might well be within your price range.

Quote Originally Posted by valliant13 View Post
    Where have you found 680's? Everywhere I look they are sold out which sucks because I Wanted to buy another.
    Plenty of them around in Finland. :P

Deleted
    Yeah Finland seems to have a good stock of 680s (I live there too ^.^)
    thanks for quick answers I'll skip on the r7990.

10+ Year Old Account
    AMD just released a driver that fixes the crossfire issues in WoW.
    Still I wouldn't say you should get a monster card for a game that wont utilize it.
    Single 770/7970 should do the trick at that resolution, or wait for R9-280X/290X launching 15 Oct possibly.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Quote Originally Posted by Thorianrage View Post
    in a nut shell, WOW doesnt use Xfire or SLI, so you wont get any benefit from this one game, and LOL isnt demanding really... as in, nothing is gonna push it below 60 FPS from a gpu front, if you dont play other types of games, that card is useless, if you play an array and often enough, its fair game, but make sure you have a PSU that can run it, i think people here will want to know what it is
    I sported a CrossfireX for a few months till one of the cards broke then... anyway long story, what I wanted to write is that I actually had worse performance on a multi GPU setup in wow (back in Cata). Have a mid line video cards and a strong CPU, that's all you need for wow and LoL.

Running Metro 2034 on max setting is another story.

Deleted
    So there wouldn't be a noticeable difference in fps between r7990 and gtx 770 @1440p? (96hz)

I disagree that there is a Blizzard game out there heavy enough to justify this claim to the everyday John Doe gamer. ( or just a Blizzard game out there that will show a noticeable difference between Nvidia and AMD )

While this might ( or not ) hold true in a generic benchmark tested with extremely OC'ed cpu's on well known reviewsites, WoW is old as chips + cpu dependant and Diablo III ain't heavy enough to say that it favours one GPU brand over the other.

While the card is overkill for either WoW or LoL, if you are looking at playing anything recently released or in the future it's a solid buy just like any high end GPU from either AMD or Nvidia ( just don't expect to see monster results in WoW, the engine is a bit ''meh'' and it's not as if a high end gpu is gonna give you 200 fps in every environment in WoW )

Wait for the new range of Radeon card, R9 290X will be a decent single core card, and it might well be within your price range.

Plenty of them around in Finland. :P
    Are there any finnish websites that would deliver to the USA? haha

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Holybob View Post
    So there wouldn't be a noticeable difference in fps between r7990 and gtx 770 @1440p? (96hz)
    You are gonna play at 30-40 fps in raids even with gtx 780 sli.
    7990 will provide more FPS in open world though, not sure how much since reviewers haven't tested crossfire performance with the newest AMD drivers yet.
    Just get a MSI 7970 for 250 € from caseking.de and you should be good for 1440p.
    Last edited by Toffie; 2013-09-30 at 01:05 PM.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by valliant13 View Post
    Are there any finnish websites that would deliver to the USA? haha
    Will an American website do? :P

I just checked newegg not too long ago and it was no longer available....weird. But it's still too expensive. Was hoping to see it down to 3-350 now which would be a better deal considering the 780 and 770 are out.

Indeed for that price you're better off getting a 7970 for 40 bucks less

( also has 3gb of ram instead of 2, which is getting nicer as more heavy load vram games are coming out )

Wait until 15th October, then we'll be getting the new AMD R-series GPUs and spend your money then.