Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Warcraft 4 not possibe because of WoW?

I loved warcraft 3 and the expac, I really liked them because of the lore and RTS's are a lot of fun IMO. Because there was nothing like WoW when these games came out, it would of been easy to tie up story with more Warcraft RTS's. Since WoW is here and the story moves on with every patch and expac. does this mean Warcraft 4 can't happen? If it could happen, when? Since there isnt enough time between previous expacs for something exciting enough to happen to make an entire game out of, it seems like it wouldn't be possible. What do you all think?

I think Blizzard is completley capable of making or finding interesting lore to center a new Warcraft RTS around if they decide to make one. They have options: they can go further back in the lore timeline, they can go further ahead in the lore timeline, they could make a "reverse" of how a lot of WoW lore is based on events in the RTS and give us a RTS focusing on the events in a certain expansion (or novel), or they could link the RTS concurrently with a WoW expansion released around the same time, possibly prompting more people to play it to see the "rest" of the lore, and to draw RTS fans into WoW if they don't already play.

They could do any or none of those things, but they certainly have options, I think.

the lore of Warcraft III was different than Warcraft II. I mean, we had different stories and heroes. The same may happen to Warcraft IV.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaughty8 View Post
    the lore of Warcraft III was different than Warcraft II. I mean, we had different stories and heroes. The same may happen to Warcraft IV.
    Right, because there wasnt a "WoW" to fill in the time between. I think it would be cool to re-visit the earlier wars again i.e. first and second wars.

Honestly WC4 would probably 'leap' forward in time. Past Anduins ruling of the Kingdom of Stormwind. This would allow them to make new 'main characters'.

Blizz is pretty good at creating lore from thin air if they have to, they could definitely make it. That being said, I don't think WC4 will come out any time soon, likely it would be probably after the final wow expansion. I'm looking forward to whenever it does come out though, WC3 IMO is the best RTS out there *still*.

Do you think Blizzard could do WC4 summing up the events of WoW and the expansions into one game? Maybe a perspective from a new protagonist?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashadelo View Post
    Do you think Blizzard could do WC4 summing up the events of WoW and the expansions into one game? Maybe a perspective from a new protagonist?
    No, way too much. How would you put it? One campaign for each game? What would be in there? Just take Cataclysm as an example. THe whole world was remade and every zone has a more or less important story. Take the War in Gilneas and Silverpine between the Worgen and the Forsaken for example. This is important in the Warcraft Lore, but where and how would it fit into a Cataclysm Campaign? Were would such a campaign even start?

I could see certain events and stories from WoW as a WC 4, but definitly not the whole of WoW. Even some of the main stories are hard.

How many years are between WC 2 and WC 3? I wouldn't be suprised to see an middle aged Anduin in WC 4. Since WoW has been released not that many years have passed in Warcraft Lore. Maybe 1-2 years per Expansion. Just take a look at Anduin, how old he was in Classic and how old he is now.

10+ Year Old Account
    It might be hard to do since the RTS games were all about world building and huge scale conflicts, completely changing the map before and after. It would be pretty weak to go through an epic campaign and then see none of it reflected in WoW, which was built by the world that WC3's outcome created.

I always thought a new RTS based on "past" versions of Azeroth would be nice though, or even some time travel/alternate timelines stuff.

Also, a new RTS would be the perfect transition from WoW to WoW2 if they ever go down that route.

The lore in self is not a problem, the problem is develop a good and balanced RTS, how many years they work on SC2? there is a lot of RTS out there but the only you hear about are: w3, starcraft, AoC, C&C. There is not enough player base to make it profitable and i've heard the competitive scene in SC2 is kinda dead, and blizzard will not work in a RTS just for the single player, not now since they are working on "titan" diablo 3 and sc2 expansion and their blizzard dota.

They just need to work on Warcraft 2 HD with starcraft 2 engine.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
    Also, a new RTS would be the perfect transition from WoW to WoW2 if they ever go down that route.
    This is what I've always thought. WoW will become too dated at some point and there still will be an intrest in a "wow2". An RTS game to set up the next version of wow would be the perfect way to do it. Also starcraft2 still has 1 more xpack before its complete so knowing blizz we'll have to wait for sc2 to complete itself b4 we can even think of a WC4.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashadelo View Post
    Hum yes they could. But it's not really what they do in their games.
    Warcraft, Diablo, Starcraft, each game moves forward in time.
    If they do a Warcraft 4, they would have to make it a real blockbuster, because it's something a lot of people are waiting.
    If the story is some retelling of a WoW "story arc", it would be disappointing.

Anyway, in my opinion Warcraft 4 is on hold as long as WoW exists because of the lore.
    It's not that they can't create new lore, it's that doing so would be either a let down or kill WoW.
    - A retelling of WoW would be disappointing for fans.
    - A side story wouldn't have the impact previous games had. All Warcraft / Starcraft / Diablo games literrally break the world as it exists at the beginning of it.
    - A flash forward would kill any further creative developpement for WoW, because you already know what will happen next...
    - A flash back might be adequat, but I'm sure I would feel as involved in it in this case.

Deleted
    Warcraft 4 could indeed take place long after WoW, giving room for new characters. It could also deal with cliffhanger storylines that will not or have not been finished in WoW, perhaps something with Bolvar or dealing with Azshara if they aren't dealt with in WoW.

It's very doable. You can just make a story gap between expansions through a RTS. It's done with the books and some explanation in game.

If WC4 and WoW take place at the same time, you'd have issues with the scale of the games conflicting and one side ending up feeling like the other side got to do the important stuff.

If WC4 takes place before WoW, you have no orcs/Horde.

If WC4 takes place after WoW but while WoW is still around, they might spoil WoW or lock in a bunch of lore that they might want to change later.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by briktal View Post
    If WC4 and WoW take place at the same time, you'd have issues with the scale of the games conflicting and one side ending up feeling like the other side got to do the important stuff.

If WC4 takes place after WoW but while WoW is still around, they might spoil WoW or lock in a bunch of lore that they might want to change later.
    alternative timeline bro... I think there is an infinite number of timelines... war4 could take place in timeline 4510983 while WoW takes place in timeline 5195621...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by briktal View Post

The "sides" are not really that much of a problem, imo. In Warcraft 3 we had 4 races, 3 of those factions became playable, the last one (the undead) became a major antagonist.

Warcraft 4 could even be something different. We could play the legion, preparing our assault on Azeroth. This is happening right now, why not just show how it looks like in an RTS? Warcraft, by now, is so much more then just "Orcs vs. Humans". You could also get Bolvar and the Scourge back into play like this. And I am pretty sure, the Alliance and Horde would also fit into there somewhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    i think a wow 4 is possible but it will be set in a future time period, to give wow room to breath but also give us a new RTS style game.

then a future expansion could use the new lore from the new RTS. it is doable, but whether blizzard want to go that route is the question. maybe starcraft is more the RTS franchise game for them now.
    Hi

Well they don't necessarily have to stick with the warcraft universe to intrigue WoW's population if you think about it. They could make an mmo based on the starcraft universe, make it similar to wow's gameplay and be very successful with it. Melee, ranged, heals, tanks, raids, dungeons, battlegrounds, they could basically repeat the same magic formula with an improved graphical engine, name it Titan and it would explode.