10+ Year Old Account

Picking out a new tablet

Ok, so bear with me here I'm probably going to provide more info then needed but I want to be clear about my needs.

I am planning to go on a long distance trip with the family just before Thanksgiving and I would like to use a tablet as entertainment for my 2 year old. We currently have one of the old Kindle Fires, and she uses it easily but the kindle OS is just too limited. That, and the screen is a bit small for watching TV for extended periods of time. I recently purchased the sling adapter for my Dish DVR, so I can access my DVR and live TV stream remotely. I also purchased the full version of FoxFi to provide a solid WiFi hotspot and/or tethering capabilities. I have an unlimited data plan. We are also purchasing a new vehicle before the trip. It has an on board computer that will broadcast a hotspot if tethered.

My plan is as follows:

Tether my phone to the car to generate a network. Mount the new tablet to the back of a seat and access my Dish DVR through a free ap. I already use the ap on my android phone, I can stream HD through my 4G connection flawlessly thus far. The vehicle has plenty of 110v and 12v charging outlets, so I'm not worried as much about power, though a tablet that has reasonably decent stamina would be appreciated.

What I'm looking for:

I want a 10 inch tablet. I want very good visual capabilities as it will be playing TV and movies frequently, not just kids stuff but beyond this trip I want this tablet to be a useful tool for the whole family. I don't think I need massive built in storage on the tablet, especially if it has removable storage options. I want something fast, I don't like fighting with an operating system to get to where I want to be. I want flexible format compatibilities, I have media of all types and I don't want to find out after purchase that I can't use some of it. I want at least some capacity to be able to plug in peripherals. I don't know all what I might want to plug into it yet, but I just want that future flexibility. A good camera is a plus, I have 2 kids now so you can't have too many cameras on hand to provide entertainment for the grandparents. I also plan on using this as a skype platform when we are not in front of the PC.

I have been considering a couple of different models, but honestly I'm overwhelmed at the number of tablets on the market at the moment. Even the models offerings from individual manufacturers seem kinda convoluted to me. It isn't as cut and dry as I had expected. I know there are new models coming out from ASUS and Samsung in the very near future so I was considering investing in one of those though I must have it bought and ready by early November, so the ASUS might be released too late.

So.. yeah suggestions?

- - - Updated - - -

aww cmon now, i KNOW we have some tablet users around here with advice
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillern View Post
    "IM LOOKING AT A THING I DONT LIKE, I HAVE THE OPTION TO GO AWAY FROM IT BUT I WILL LOOK MORE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE THING I DONT LIKE BECAUSE I DONT LIKE IT, NO ONE IS FORCING ME TO SEARCH FOR THIS THING OR LOOK AT THIS THING OR REMAIN LOOKING AT THIS THING BUT I AM ANYWAY, ITS OFFENDS ME! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!"
    Troof

Deleted
    not a tablet user myself, but a nexus 7 sounds like what should suffice all your needs.

I agree with shroudster, it sounds like the Nexus tablet would be an excellent choice. The Nexus 7, which he recommended, is a 7" tablet, but they have a 10" version as well. It is the 'official' Google tablet, so it runs native Android.

Keep in mind: there's a new Nexus 10 expected soonish.