Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

US Guilds only 23% of the Top 100 for 10m Raiding.

So looking at wowprogess I noticed that there are only 23 US Guild in the Top 100 for 10m. Why is there such a disparity in guild sucess between the EU and US.

More Hardcore raiders in EU.

seems like this is an inflammatory comment intended to get a rise out of people, but if i had to give a reason, i'd say that it has to do with differences in lifestyle or differences in willingness to spend time/energy raiding.

there are zero measurable differences in the overall skill levels of us vs. eu players as entire groups.

maybe there's a different mindset or that more like-minded players congregate on eu realms. also i'd be interested to see what kind of correlations there are for 25 man modes. i personally do not enjoy 10 man raiding or view it as similarly challenging as 25 mans, maybe others in the us have similar views.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    maybe this too.

Uhhh there are just more EU guilds that raid harder/are better? I don't think more guilds in EU trying harder is the same thing as a disparity in success.

Deleted
    There are about 50% more 10 man guilds i EU than US.
    In EU about 93% of guilds are 10 man while that number is closer to 89% on US.
    6% of US guilds are in heroic content compared to 10% of EU guilds.
    151 US 25 man guilds are in heroic content and 258 10 man guilds. That means 10 man guilds are 63% of the heroic guilds in US.
    In EU there are 238 25 man guilds in heroic content and 786 10 man guilds. That means 10 man guilds are 77% of the heroic guilds in EU.

Drawing a logical conclusion out of this you can with a large probability say that

1. There are more raiders in EU than US
    2. Relatively, US gravitate more to 25 man compared to EU.
    3. Relatively, the heroic guilds graduate even more to 25 man in US than mentioned above.
    4. Overall EU guilds are more hardcore with raiding
    5. 10 man is more accepted as heroic raiding in EU.

24.8% of 10 man guilds in heroic content are from the US. Which corresponds quite well with the 23% mentioned in OP.

Only 29/100 25M guilds are US too. I'm pretty sure there are more people playing on EU servers than there are on US servers.

16734 total guilds are recorded for Immerseus. Only 6588 are from the US.
    Last edited by Squirl; 2013-10-01 at 07:22 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    I believe this is the main reason. I believe the "cultural phenomenon" to explain it was that US overall has a more casual look at video games compared to the rest of the world. A lot of people try and put their energy into more things, so compared to EU we don't have as much competitive gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Morkstall View Post
    So looking at wowprogess I noticed that there are only 23 US Guild in the Top 100 for 10m. Why is there such a disparity in guild sucess between the EU and US.
    Does it matter? I always find it funny that people take such pride in what region is doing the best in a video game raid. How do you even narrow it down to a region, is it based on continents? EU has many players from different countires, US has many players from different states and Canada. Should we take it a step farther and find out which country in EU has highest number of world first players, then bash the rest of the EU and do the same for the US? Its a whole friggen continent and we all the exact same species, there is no difference, get over it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Euros don't work (irl) nearly as much.

32 vs. 50+ hour work weeks = lots more time for progression.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxigen View Post

I'm glad to see you think All of Europe has the same amounts of work hours in a week, they don't.. Nor do I believe any hardcore US raider works 50h+ during progression.

Quote Originally Posted by Faladrath View Post
    I'm glad to see you think All of Europe has the same amounts of work hours in a week, they don't.. Nor do I believe any hardcore US raider works 50h+ during progression.
    I will admit that if I wanted/had the skill to be a hardcore raider I would never be able to with my work schedule. Also being young (and thus unmarried, no kids) would be pretty big advantages for being able to dedicate the time it takes to HC raiding. I dont know how things work in EU but if you are young in America chances are you are in college or work a crappy minimum wage job with zero vacation or sick time and rotating work hours, which makes taking that much time off for raiding impossible.

10+ Year Old Account
    However, most EU countries seem to work fewer hours than the US does and have better, more liberal vacation/time off policies. I realize this varies from country to country, but I do wonder if the combination helps.

I'd also be interested to see how raiding breaks down on a country level in the EU region since it could be a handful of countries where a few factors (gaming culture, time off policies) make just enough of a difference to tip the scales. After all, it would only take a handful of guilds to change this - twenty-five 25man guilds is only 625 people. That's nothing in percentage of the population of even a smallish country.
    Last edited by clevin; 2013-10-01 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    However, most EU countries seem to work fewer hours than the US does and have better, more liberal vacation/time off policies. I realize this varies from country to country, but I do wonder if the combination helps.

I'd also be interested to see how raiding breaks down on a country level in the EU region since it could be a handful of countries where a few factors (gaming culture, time off policies) make just enough of a difference to tip the scales.
    So your saying that in all of america there isn't a few hundred people that can dedicate as much time into raiding as the top EU ones can? Sounds extremely far fetched imo.

Deleted
    I will list all the possibilities I can think of.

1. Europeans are better at the game
    2. US players don't care as much as the EU guys
    3. EU has a bigger population than the US (Same reason why China always win the Olympics)
    4. The US players have more of a social life and spend more time with their friends
    5. Players from the US don't like to spend as much time on the computer than the guys from EU, because they know NSA are spying on them.
    6. US players prefer PvP
    7. US guys are more anti-social and don't fit well into a 10/25 man group environment
    8. US players don;t like MMO's as much as the Euros
    9. US players just don't care enough about a video game to play it 16 hours a day to win an unofficial race with no rewards.

I am from the EU btw but not an EU fanboy. I don't care who wins, we are all humans and I don't automatically prefer guilds because of where they live

10+ Year Old Account
    So your saying that in all of america there isn't a few hundred people that can dedicate as much time into raiding as the top EU ones can? Sounds extremely far fetched imo.
    Or that more of the EU ones do. It would only take a few hundred highly dedicated EU raiders to tip the scales.

Sure, but we're not really talking about the hardcore US players who already exist. We're talking about why more US players aren't hardcore, which that point speaks to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthThrall View Post

1. Europeans are better at the game
    2. US players don't care as much as the EU guys
    3. EU has a bigger population than the US (Same reason why China always win the Olympics)
    4. The US players have more of a social life and spend more time with their friends
    5. Players from the US don't like to spend as much time on the computer than the guys from EU, because they know NSA are spying on them.
    6. US players prefer PvP
    7. US guys are more anti-social and don't fit well into a 10/25 man group environment
    8. US players don;t like MMO's as much as the Euros
    9. US players just don't care enough about a video game to play it 16 hours a day to win an unofficial race with no rewards.

I am from the EU btw but not an EU fanboy. I don't care who wins, we are all humans and I don't automatically prefer guilds because of where they live
    1) Doubt it.
    2) very possible
    3) not that much bigger though
    4) unlikely, but possible
    5) we mostly dont care
    6 and 7) um... no. Not in a general sense at least.
    8) very possible
    9) also quite possible.

The thing is, in a smaller country within the EU I imagine it's possible that there's some inherent competition bteween guilds. That's unlikely to arise in the US because of geopgraphic factors. That's why I'd be interested to see how the top guilds are distributed among the EU countries. It might not be that the EU has more top 100 guilds but that 2, 3, or 4 nations within the EU do.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxigen View Post

Aha, can't have this discussion without some clueless kid throwing some numbers out there, 32 hours? Come on thats more leaning towards a part time job.

Deleted
    Well US ppl work like freaking slaves, i mean 12hour workdays wtf. Studies have shown that 6-7 hours is optimal and every hour past that your working with only half efficiency. No wonder they dont want to jump into a raid the minute they get home and go back to sleep minute after the raid.

I work 10hour days that way i only have to work 4hours during friday, and those 10hour days feel way too long..

Quote Originally Posted by DarthThrall View Post

1. USA 1018 Gold - 824 Silver - 710 Bronze - 2552 Total
    9. China 172 Gold - 35 Silver - 122 Bronze - 429 Total

You were off by 2123 medals