League of Legends Questions

Thought of a few as I was heading to school today and I was gonna see if anyone could answer them:

1. On a promotion series, any works, would it not be very smart to duo with someone you know is decent but say has a bronze rating, perhaps someone tanks a smurf account for just this purpose. Since that tanks the MMR the people you face should be easier and since you need wins, no matter how easy. Would this work?

2. I've noticed a huge drop in gained/lost LP after wins after my last promotion series. Like it went from 12 or being the minimum so me gaining 4 for a win. Just went from Silver 2 to 1 so I can't imagine that it is that quick of a drop off?
    EDIT: It seemed to just normalize, now its around 10 which is what I'm comfortable with/used to.

3. What are some good streamers to watch to actually pick up tips and stuff, I've just seen Voyboy and he is really good at it, and I've watched Scarra for a while but most others tend to simply play and don't talk much.

4. How much LP do you lose for a dodge?

5. How much did the 3.12 patch notes affect Kat's game play, it didn't seem very clear how much of an impact it had to me.

6. I guess that it unless anyone has some simple tips/tricks, I'd love to hear em'.

If anyone has any questions that don't have a thread already this would be a good place to consolidate simple ones, and I'll try to answer any I can.
    Last edited by Faltemer; 2013-10-03 at 07:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Faltemer View Post
    Thought of a few as I was heading to school today and I was gonna see if anyone could answer them:

1. On a promotion series, any works, would it not be very smart to duo with someone you know is decent but say has a bronze rating, perhaps someone tanks a smurf account for just this purpose. Since that tanks the MMR the people you face should be easier and since you need wins, no matter how easy. Would this work?

2. I've noticed a huge drop in gained/lost LP after wins after my last promotion series. Like it went from 12 or being the minimum so me gaining 4 for a win. Just went from Silver 2 to 1 so I can't imagine that it is that quick of a drop off?

3. What are some good streamers to watch to actually pick up tips and stuff, I've just seen Voyboy and he is really good at it, and I've watched Scarra for a while but most others tend to simply play and don't talk much.

4. I guess that it unless anyone has some simple tips/tricks, I'd love to hear em'.

If anyone has any questions that don't have a thread already this would be a good place to consolidate simple ones, and I'll try to answer any I can.
    I think the skill level in promo series stays the same (or increases, if a duo is better than you), regardless. Not sure.

That might be you being pinched in silver because your MMR isn't at gold level yet?

Find ones that mainly play your lane. Voyboy is probably the best one for top lane, while Froggen is probably best for mid and Xspecial for support.

Quote Originally Posted by Drikkink View Post
    I think the skill level in promo series stays the same (or increases, if a duo is better than you), regardless. Not sure.

That might be you being pinched in silver because your MMR isn't at gold level yet?

Find ones that mainly play your lane. Voyboy is probably the best one for top lane, while Froggen is probably best for mid and Xspecial for support.
    Well that's why i was curious about using a duo WORSE then you.

Certainly possible, there is no way to tell your MMR is there?

Does Froggen and Xspecial actually give tips/reasoning for stuff. I mean Voy every game goes through runes, masteries, item builds and why he does it, etc.

Well that's why i was curious about using a duo WORSE then you.

Certainly possible, there is no way to tell your MMR is there?

Does Froggen and Xspecial actually give tips/reasoning for stuff. I mean Voy every game goes through runes, masteries, item builds and why he does it, etc.
    Froggen usually talks playstyle, but never really runes or masteries. I don't watch Xspecial enough to say how he streams.

Froggen usually talks playstyle, but never really runes or masteries. I don't watch Xspecial enough to say how he streams.
    At this point I am mostly looking for play style but just wanted to maybe compile a good list for beginners.

Deleted
    I don't know exactly how duo queuing works for your MMR, but as a gold player, I have queued with silver, and a few times, a bronze friend - it has always continued to place me with other gold players. From my (somewhat limited) experience, it continues to match you with the MMR of the higher player or perhaps it lowers it slightly - but certainly not enough to make a difference. So this results in your bronze person being matched with people far higher than them - not a problem if they're a smurf I suppose, but it can lower morale if people lolnexus you and start freaking out because they've got a bronze on their team vs a team of all golds for example.

When you queue dodge you lose 3LP the first time followed by 10LP if you dodge two in quick succession in a non series match. In a series match you lose 10LP the first time + it counts as a loss for your promo.

1. In my experience, if you duo with a lower ranked friend, the enemy team will often have a premade similar to yours.

2. The system works like this:
    When in Division 1 of a League, you usually gain less LP. This is because the system has to make sure you belong in the next League, since you can't drop back down to your previous League, without being inactive.
    By lowering your LP gains, the system forces you to raise your MMR before you get into promotion.

Getting 12 LP for a win doesn't seem like a lot to me. My best guess is that it's a fairly average amount..
    So, since you're now in Division 1 and you're "only" average, the system isn't sure if you can actually compete at Gold level. So in order to figure it out, the system is lowering your LP gains, so that you can increase your MMR to near-Gold 5 level, before you get to promotion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YOU'RE FUCKED. (Yes, it's my forums, I'm allowed to do that)

Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    I don't know exactly how duo queuing works for your MMR, but as a gold player, I have queued with silver, and a few times, a bronze friend - it has always continued to place me with other gold players. From my (somewhat limited) experience, it continues to match you with the MMR of the higher player or perhaps it lowers it slightly - but certainly not enough to make a difference. So this results in your bronze person being matched with people far higher than them - not a problem if they're a smurf I suppose, but it can lower morale if people lolnexus you and start freaking out because they've got a bronze on their team vs a team of all golds for example.

When you queue dodge you lose 3LP the first time followed by 10LP if you dodge two in quick succession in a non series match. In a series match you lose 10LP the first time + it counts as a loss for your promo.
    Thanks, so if I queue dodged say once a week it would only take 3 LP? That's not bad, and I've run into one team so far in the past 40+ games that I wanted to dodge but wasn't sure what the loss would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Riboe View Post
    1. In my experience, if you duo with a lower ranked friend, the enemy team will often have a premade similar to yours.

2. The system works like this:
    When in Division 1 of a League, you usually gain less LP. This is because the system has to make sure you belong in the next League, since you can't drop back down to your previous League, without being inactive.
    By lowering your LP gains, the system forces you to raise your MMR before you get into promotion.

Getting 12 LP for a win doesn't seem like a lot to me. My best guess is that it's a fairly average amount..
    So, since you're now in Division 1 and you're "only" average, the system isn't sure if you can actually compete at Gold level. So in order to figure it out, the system is lowering your LP gains, so that you can increase your MMR to near-Gold 5 level, before you get to promotion.
    1. That still might work, I doubt I would ever try this trick out but depending on if the enemy team premade doesn't include a smurf you would be at an advantage, regardless of how small.

2. That makes sense, so if I continue to win more then I lose then it should slowly lead to bigger and bigger LP gains?

5. How much did the 3.12 patch notes affect Kat's game play, it didn't seem very clear how much of an impact it had to me.

6. I guess that it unless anyone has some simple tips/tricks, I'd love to hear em'.

1) If you have a Duo partner who you think is decent and has the same mindset as you, do it its better then going solo.
    Edit: You get opponents based on both your MMR

2) It means your MMR is not at the same level as Silver 1, keep playing eventualy after a few wins you should be able to see an increase in LP.

3) The best I can adivse is Voyboy and WingsofDeath.

4) I think its counted as a normal loss.

5) She had a slight buff to her late game.

6) If you want to become better at the game watch replays of yourself, it helps make you see the mistakes you do.
    Last edited by Evolight; 2013-10-03 at 12:38 AM.

Deleted
    Thanks, so if I queue dodged say once a week it would only take 3 LP? That's not bad, and I've run into one team so far in the past 40+ games that I wanted to dodge but wasn't sure what the loss would be.
    Yup. If you get a serious troll or a massive fight in champion select and you are almost certain that the team will be unable to work together and it'll be a loss; the dodge penalty is probably better than wasting 40 minutes of your time and then losing more LP. Doesn't feel good to lose LP for not even playing but at the end of the day, at lower elo I think on rare occasions, it is the better option to dodge and spare yourself that game. You don't lose any MMR or anything for dodging either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evolight View Post
    4) I think its counted as a normal loss.
    It's 3LP for the first dodge, 10LP for every dodge in succession after the first. Also, if you're in a promotion, dodging costs you the game (counts as a loss) and if you lose your promotion series you're deducted an additional 10LP.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

Just thought of another, I'm not 100% clear on how promotion series works after the fact. IE, when you win-lose-lose it seems you end up with around 87-89 LP, and if you lose-lose (no win) you end up at 75, is that correct. And on the flip side is going win-win any better then say win-loss-win?

Deleted
    Just thought of another, I'm not 100% clear on how promotion series works after the fact. IE, when you win-lose-lose it seems you end up with around 87-89 LP, and if you lose-lose (no win) you end up at 75, is that correct. And on the flip side is going win-win any better then say win-loss-win?
    It still counts your losses as a -LP the same as it would if you weren't in a series - but it doesn't display them until the series is over, if you lose. So if you are losing -10LP per game when you lose (approx), and you lose 3 games, you'll end up at -30LP so go back down to 70LP. If you go win win, lose lose lose, it might affect it very slightly if your MMR changes but it'd be a very minor change. I've seen people lose 3 promo matches and go back down to 40LP in their division and I've seen people lose 3 and still be at 80 LP so it really depends on your current situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    It still counts your losses as a -LP the same as it would if you weren't in a series - but it doesn't display them until the series is over, if you lose. So if you are losing -10LP per game when you lose (approx), and you lose 3 games, you'll end up at -30LP so go back down to 70LP. If you go win win, lose lose lose, it might affect it very slightly if your MMR changes but it'd be a very minor change. I've seen people lose 3 promo matches and go back down to 40LP in their division and I've seen people lose 3 and still be at 80 LP so it really depends on your current situation.
    Thought it was a set thing, weird. I guess that makes sense in the end. Does how you win a series matter? because the last three series I got through I ended up at 0 LP

Deleted
    Thought it was a set thing, weird. I guess that makes sense in the end. Does how you win a series matter? because the last three series I got through I ended up at 0 LP
    Nope, if you win, you always start at 0LP, even if you were gaining +20 or higher before hand and then won the first 3, you always start a new division at 0.

You can drop divisions within a tier by being bad right? I've been on a horrible losing streak at 0 LP... how much do I have to worry about dropping B1 to B2?

Deleted
    You can drop divisions within a tier by being bad right? I've been on a horrible losing streak at 0 LP... how much do I have to worry about dropping B1 to B2?
    The amount of games it takes to drop within a tier depends on your MMR, if your MMR was really high, you've got more room for a losing streak. If you lose 3-4 in a row though at 0LP you're probably getting pretty close to dropping down even if your MMR was higher than the division. Once your MMR drops below what they consider is normal for bronze 1 and you still keep losing, you'll drop down... there's no way of knowing exactly when that'll happen though, and if you get a winning streak after your drop down you'll go straight back up again anyway.

EDIT: It seemed to just normalize, now its around 10 which is what I'm comfortable with/used to.

1) It would make it slightly easier assuming you both play your best and do not underestimate the team you are facing. When duo it uses a weighted average MMR for the pair weighted heavily towards the higher MMR player.

2)Clamping only happens in the top division of a tier (though MMR still determines LP gains all the time they are extra careful a lucky streak does not boost you up a league if your MMR does not match or exceed the next league given the inability to drop back down)

3)I like ZionSpartan, Oddone, Scarra, Vooby (Voyboy), and Dyrus a lot personally but just try a bunch of streams out and see what you like

4)I think it counts as a normal loss for LP with zero change to MMR but I never dodge so don't quote me on that one

5)Slight buff to late game and slightly reduced her susceptibility to being shut down by any CC

6)Practice makes perfect, Wards are literally the best item in the game, teamwork wins games so make your team like itself, don't follow build guides actually learn how to build proactively, actively think on your mistakes instead of blaming others, try and work towards knowing every champions skill sets/rough cooldowns/strengths and weaknesses/expected build path (especially focus on champions in your own game), most importantly have fun

For the learning champions thing I used to write out all the champion names and write down everything I knew about them from memory it really helped me figured out where my knowledge base was lacking.

Source: Plat player with low-mid diamond MMR who might get off their lazy ass and actually push for it this season because the plat border is ugly.
    Last edited by Zulandia; 2013-10-04 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulandia View Post
    1) It would make it slightly easier assuming you both play your best and do not underestimate the team you are facing. When duo it uses a weighted average MMR for the pair weighted heavily towards the higher MMR player.

2)Clamping only happens in the top division of a tier (though MMR still determines LP gains all the time they are extra careful a lucky streak does not boost you up a league if your MMR does not match or exceed the next league given the inability to drop back down)

3)I like ZionSpartan, Oddone, Scarra, Vooby (Voyboy), and Dyrus a lot personally but just try a bunch of streams out and see what you like

4)I think it counts as a normal loss for LP with zero change to MMR but I never dodge so don't quote me on that one

5)Slight buff to late game and slightly reduced her susceptibility to being shut down by any CC

6)Practice makes perfect, Wards are literally the best item in the game, teamwork wins games so make your team like itself, don't follow build guides actually learn how to build proactively, actively think on your mistakes instead of blaming others, try and work towards knowing every champions skill sets/rough cooldowns/strengths and weaknesses/expected build path (especially focus on champions in your own game), most importantly have fun

For the learning champions thing I used to write out all the champion names and write down everything I knew about them from memory it really helped me figured out where my knowledge base was lacking.

Source: Plat player with low-mid diamond MMR who might get off their lazy ass and actually push for it this season because the plat border is ugly.
    Thanks, i was thinking of doing that champ on cards trick for a friend, but im fairly certain now if you gave me any champ in the game I could list skills/what they did passives/etc