Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Have mages ever been NOT viable in an arena season?

I feel like mages have been VIABLE if not R1 viable for EVERY season since ive started playing the game....i play a moonkin and i would prefer it, if i could also be R1 viable every season.

10+ Year Old Account
    When you think "Mages" you're thinking of their class as a whole. And yes, at least one of their specs has been viable in every (don't quote me on that) arena season. When you think of yourself, you think "Boomkin", instead of "Druid", so you're actually comparing a single spec out of your four specs to the Mage class in general. Does that seem fair?

I can assure you at least one of your specs has been viable in every (don't quote me on that either) arena season.

Quote Originally Posted by Batmoonn View Post
    I feel like mages have been VIABLE if not R1 viable for EVERY season since ive started playing the game....i play a moonkin and i would prefer it, if i could also be R1 viable every season.
    Every class is viable, just needs the right player. Such a stupid word.

Quote Originally Posted by Castochi View Post
    When you think "Mages" you're thinking of their class as a whole. And yes, at least one of their specs has been viable in every (don't quote me on that) arena season. When you think of yourself, you think "Boomkin", instead of "Druid", so you're actually comparing a single spec out of your four specs to the Mage class in general. Does that seem fair?

I can assure you at least one of your specs has been viable in every (don't quote me on that either) arena season.
    Must say, I play a Druid, and I agree with this. Mages are always viable because they have three specs that more or less do different things. Fire is good for really high burst, Frost is good for bursty instant casts, less burst than fire but more consistent, then Arcane has really high damage but it's really hard to set up. Each season will be good for different things depending on how the other classes work, so one spec will usually be strong (normally frost, but Arcane was good end of season 4 and Fire has been good off and on as well).

Moonkins, on the other hand, are only good in certain situations. They play well with Warlocks, but probably not much else since they have no DoT protection of their own. This means they're only somewhat viable some seasons. However, Resto has been rather viable every season so far, and Feral has been pretty viable most seasons as well. Druids have always been fine in arenas, even if Boomkins are less than viable sometimes.

Even when mages aren't OP, people still find ways to complain about them. Hilarious, OP. /clap

This is an excellent point and something a lot of people seem to forget, Druids are called a hybrid class for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Batmoonn View Post
    i would say mage are really weak right now. maybe weakest they have ever been. or maybe everyone else just got buffed
    but its all about player. if you are really skilled you can get R1 on any class imo

Quote Originally Posted by Mican17 View Post
    Even when mages aren't OP, people still find ways to complain about them. Hilarious, OP. /clap
    im sorry, when have mages not been OP? good try tho

Quote Originally Posted by fenrirx View Post
    sunwelled!

Deleted
    People just don't know how to counter them that's all.
    The only people who complained about mages last season were like 1550

Sure, but if you don't enjoy healing or melee dps, you're pretty much screwed.

I don't understand why so many people in this thread see this as a valid argument. All mage specs are caster dps - you can talk about how arcane is different from fire and that is different from frost... but in the end, it's all the same thing. Or are you saying that theres as much difference in "throwing dots or big crits" as in "getting completely different set of gear and play a totally different role"?

everyclass is all the time r1 viable.

But lets say last season..... there were like 2 mages(ven,pigboy) in the top 100. so I guess a few classes are always more viable then others.

edit:
    The only people who complained about mages last season were like 1550
    ^this

Quote Originally Posted by fenrirx View Post
    Try the current season, genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Neos300 View Post
    sunwelled!
    What does that even mean? I need to brush up on my nerd WoW lingo, rofl.

Quote Originally Posted by Toobad View Post
    Sure, but if you don't enjoy healing or melee dps, you're pretty much screwed.

I don't understand why so many people in this thread see this as a valid argument. All mage specs are caster dps - you can talk about how arcane is different from fire and that is different from frost... but in the end, it's all the same thing. Or are you saying that theres as much difference in "throwing dots or big crits" as in "getting completely different set of gear and play a totally different role"?
    If you don't enjoy healing or melee DPS, roll a different class? I don't understand why you think that every spec of a hybrid needs to be viable all the time. As I said, my main is a Resto Druid, my main before was a Priest and I also played a Shaman for a while. I healed on all 3. Shadow used to be bad, Ele/Enh used to be trash for a while. If I wanted to play a caster there were Mages and Warlocks, if I wanted to play a melee DPS there were Warriors, Rogues, Death Knights, etc.

Hybrids will never be good at everything they can do, and arguably they shouldn't be. For balance purposes, pure DPS (or DPS/Tanks like Warriors) need to have a viable DPS spec every arena season, whether it's Unholy or Frost, or Arms or Fury, one needs to be viable. Healing hybrids, not so much, because those people have an option. Boomkins don't need to be viable every single season, Resto is viable almost every season, if you want to play a Druid play Resto, if you want to play a Boomkin go for it, they're Gladiator viable. Sure, they can't get rank 1, but let's be 100% legitimately honest here, you aren't getting rank 1 on any class. So I don't see why rank 1 viability matters to you. Every spec can get Gladiator for Druids right now (aside from Guardian, obviously), so just because you can't get rank 1 I don't really understand why you need to be super upset.

What does that even mean? I need to brush up on my nerd WoW lingo, rofl.
    it's a thing mages talk about whenever their favored dps spec is 3k dps behind the others in simcraft despite all 3 specs being top dps in simcraft

15+ Year Old Account
    As long as RMP doesn't take another knock to their DR synergy, they will remain R1 viable. See: Seasons where Rogues have been meh but still Duelist+.

I don't recall Arcane being great in the arena, although that Sinestra trinket may have made it quite funny - briefly. Fire/ Balance had a flirtatious relationship going on but I haven't seen that for a long, long time.

- - - Updated - - -

Try the current season, genius.
    Players have figured out how to play Frost with the Mastery change. Please read up and move on.

Argh, serious case of deja vu just now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima View Post

Players have figured out how to play Frost with the Mastery change. Please read up and move on.

Argh, serious case of deja vu just now.
    rofl figured outhow to play Frost WITH?

you mean without right?

Quote Originally Posted by Peruh View Post
    everyclass is all the time r1 viable.

But lets say last season..... there were like 2 mages(ven,pigboy) in the top 100. so I guess a few classes are always more viable then others.

edit:

^this
    Warriors weren't even Gladiator viable let alone rank 1 viable in s5. And they were nowhere near rank 1 viable in s11. They were also barely if at all rank 1 viable last season.

Frost mages and affliction warlocks haven't had a single arena season where they weren't rank 1 viable without fail. NO other spec/class can claim this.

Ret hasn't had a single season since s5 where it wasn't rank 1 viable. Same for unholy dks.

Mages are nowhere near OP right now but with the right comp they can get shit done like always.

Boomkin has been rank 1 viable every single season this expansion as well as a few seasons last expansion as well as in WotLK. It's just been easier as feral and even easier as resto so you don't see a lot of moonkins.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Quote Originally Posted by Peruh View Post
    rofl figured outhow to play Frost WITH?

you mean without right?
    There's a ~70K dmg difference in altertime burst sequence if you're doing it with stacked icicles. And yes there're mages who're pulling this off and it's no fun being on recieving end of that "itsy bitsy" little dmg. Come full 522 gear and you'll see ppls complaining about being soloed in deep once more.

P.S. As far as i remmember mages were R1 viable since the start of S1. Only locks have same consisntency in viability, rest had their ups and downs.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyaldee View Post
    There's a ~70K dmg difference in altertime burst sequence if you're doing it with stacked icicles. And yes there're mages who're pulling this off
    No one cares about icicles when they use alter time........ you use alter time when you have proccs / maybe with poly..... no one is waiting till he has 5 icicles...lol

Warriors weren't even Gladiator viable let alone rank 1 viable in s5. And they were nowhere near rank 1 viable in s11. They were also barely if at all rank 1 viable last season.
    bullsh!t

Frost mages and affliction warlocks haven't had a single arena season where they weren't rank 1 viable without fail. NO other spec/class can claim this.
    false

NO other spec/class can claim this
    Same for unholy dks.

Mages are nowhere near OP right now but with the right comp they can get shit done like always.
    true

Boomkin has been rank 1 viable every single season this expansion as well as a few seasons last expansion as well as in WotLK. It's just been easier as feral and even easier as resto so you don't see a lot of moonkins.
    true